Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Glove liners
  • swoosh
    Free Member

I have a pair of 100% Brisker gloves that I really like but they’re just not quite up to the job on really cold rides around 2deg C or lower. Would a pair of liners help or are they not worth the money?
    I have a pair of Madison winter gloves but they’re really really bulky so I don’t get on with them. The Briskers feel like a normal pair of gloves until you realise your hands aren’t cold at 5deg C.

tall_martin

I wear briskers most of the year and move into sealskin gloves when it’s cold wet.

Silk liners under either makes a surprising difference.

I would wear briskers down to about 5.

The liners were a present, i think they were cheapest silk liners  from Amazon at the time.

bsims
    Free Member

I sometimes put my merino gloves inside my thick winter gloves, both Madison. However they only make a small difference over just the outer gloves and I still get really cold brake fingers.

bsims
    Free Member

Some classic STW contradiction there! You are going to have to get some and make up your own mind.

swoosh
    Free Member

Hmm. Yeah might have to try to make up my own mind.

I suppose a pair of thin liner under a full on winter glove might not make as much difference to a liner under a thinner glove.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Reynauds sufferer here – I wear thin silk liner gloves under winter gloves when it’s cold. Definitely helps. Just make sure the outer glove is big enough – you don’t want them too tight.

bsims
    Free Member

I suppose a pair of thin liner under a full on winter glove might not make as much difference to a liner under a thinner glove.

That would make sense and explain why I don’t see much benefit and others. Also for some people that small difference may feel huge – as in your case shortbread fl.

matt_outandabout

I’ve a few pairs of uber cheap ‘magic gloves’. They’re polypropylene I think, I bought them from a market stall many years back for 99p each.

They do boost the warmth under another glove really well, but best performance is when I size up the outer glove.

colournoise

Another Raynauds rider here. Got some Briskers for Christmas and they’re some of the best single layer winter gloves I’ve tried.

Haven’t needed to yet, but if I need more I’ll either wear silk liners (tender from Amazon) underneath or a pair of the fingerless ‘arthritis’ gloves you can get on Amazon, etc. – nice and thin and seem to work pretty well for me at least.

Milese
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of Galibier light winter gloves, fine to around 4 or 5 degrees, was colder than that this weekend so had a first use out of the £4 ebay silk liners I had bought and yes, they made a good difference and I didnt suffer with cold hands on my 4.5 hour ride on Sunday.

I’d say they are worth a 2 or 3 degree drop in temp.

Dont add much bulk, but obviously take up some space inside your glove, so they need to be on the roomy side.

swoosh
    Free Member

I was looking for something else but I found a thin pair of Ronhill gloves in a box yesterday so tried them today on my ride. Around 2-3 Deg C and I was nice and toasty.
    For anyone reading this and is thinking of trying liners, do it. They’re really warm under and set of Briskers and you still get really good bar feel.

damascus
    Free Member

Apologies for the link to sports direct but these liners are really good and £4!

Thin enough to fit under most gloves and adds another layer. Has the benefit of touch screen on the index finger. Ive a few pairs of these and they’ve lasted well. Roll up very small once your hands have warmed up.

https://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-liner-gloves-mens-907396?cq_src=google_ads&cq_cmp=10653976708&cq_term=&cq_plac=&cq_net=g&cq_plt=gp&gclid=CjwKCAiA3L6PBhBvEiwAINlJ9JEx_W4BiM-xlNQTsWa3yyq0o6fDi3WcSF1CEtJfXbE2xrz53b8hCRoC7m4QAvD_BwE#colcode=90739603

silicone palm and fingers for a secure grip with excellent durability

Mine don’t have this though

scotroutes

I use some cheap liners from Decathlon. They’re excellent and really make a difference. The outer gloves do have to roomy enough though.

woodlikesbikes
    Free Member

I have tried several pairs of merino liners and found they didn’t do anything. I’ve settled on a pair of Icebreaker Oasis merino liners which do a little.
    How does merino compare to silk?

renton
    Free Member

Ive been wearing a pair of cheap disposable rubber gloves under my briskers and they have helped massively.

mrdestructo

In abattoires, in the cold portioning area, workers wear snooker gloves under marigolds for warmth. But they’ll also go and hold their gloved hands in hot washing up water regularly.

I’m not one for layers on your hands for riding. I want gloves that work. None of my current gloves (Rockbros) work in the temps they’ve stated on the sale pages. Eg. Says down to -2c, but only work down to 3-4c.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Glove liners’ is closed to new replies.