Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Glossop/Hadfield riding?
  • jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Since passing out as a train driver I’m noticing a lot of people getting on and off at glossop and hadfield. Anyone know what’s round there and if it’s worth a mooch please?

jekkyl

Yup. The very West of some sort of ‘Peak’ District.

Garry_Lager

Loads there. However, the very large area to the east – bleaklow, is not known for its trails. High level boggy plateau with not a bridleway to be found until you get to Cut Gate [plus Doctors Gate at the bottom which everyone rides once]. There must be stuff there, so if you go for a mooch please report back. I believe Glossop has just been connected to the internet, so maybe a local person can post to fill you in here.

The hills to the N above Stalybridge up to Dovestones are well known riding spots, they’re good to ride if you’ve not been up that way. People are more sensible with the footpaths round the top end of the Peak – it’s not like Edale where you’ll get walkers waving their trekking poles in rage if they see you riding on a fp.

hodgynd
    Free Member

This can be accessed from Glossop..it formed part of a 50 +mile circular route which took us into the heart of the Peak District ..we stayed in Glossop on both occasions but drove to Langsett to start the ride as it gave easier access for our car journey home to Northumberland at the end of the ride..well worth doing in the summer months and a dry Cutgate to end the ride..
    http://www.gps-routes.co.uk/routes/home.nsf/routeslinkswalks/barnsley-boundary-walk-walking-route

BadlyWiredDog

There’s nice enough riding along / around / above the Longdendale Trail out of Hadfield. Good on a cross bike and you can use it as a link to Cut Gate then come back via Jacob’s or the Roych or something else entirely.

The Northern Horse Routes starts from Crowden and links round to the Longdendale Trail above the tunnels, good on a cross bike. Loops above Tintwistle / Hollingworth towards Mossley, some really good stuff if you know it.

There’s some great local stuff, that I’m not going to describe here. And you can pop over Chunal and onto the trails around Hayfield / New Mills with a 25-minute slog up Chunal.

Maybe I’m missing something, but isn’t the Barnsley Boundary Walk, well, a walk? I don’t mean that facetiously, just wondering how rideable it is.

molgrips
    Free Member

Look at the Strava heat map

stevedoc
    Free Member

Hadfield over Arnfield stalyvagas (hometown) Millbrook and cheeky Dove routes

Not a bad place really 😉

hodgynd
    Free Member

Badlywireddog
    It links into the trail you describe and if I’m being honest that was more the trail I was thinking of :oops:..Im not local .. 😆

Esme
    Free Member

Hadfield? Would that be anywhere near Tintwistle, by any chance? 🙄

The-milkybar-kid
    Free Member

Isn’t hadfield royston vasey

BadlyWiredDog

Absolutely.

unovolo
    Free Member

Yeah if you going riding there “You’ll never leave”

unovolo
    Free Member

Yeah if you going riding there “You’ll never leave”

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Glossop/Hadfield riding?’ is closed to new replies.