Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Global Strava Heatmap
  • crazy-legs

220 billion GPS coordinates meshed into a global heat map of Strava activity – works out at about 78 million bike rides apparently!

Zooming in on the UK you can see the outline of Richmond Park and Box Hill stands out as a bright blue dot. Glentress, Innerleithen, Cannock, Gisburn all stand out really well and you can make out some Sportive routes too, especially the Etape Caledonia.

http://labs.strava.com/heatmap/#9/-3.50078/58.58116/blue/bike

miketually
    Free Member

Hamsterley really pops out too and you can even see Dales Bike Centre’s car park.

I’d guess that the Tour stages are going to get pretty bright over the next few months.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Fascinating when you pull out with the map to see the whole of Europe. The UK lights up like a Xmas tree as well as Belgium and the Netherlands. The rest of Europe has only small dots around the main conurbations.

caspian
    Free Member

Crazy how quiet France is.

I can see all my runs in Aktobe, Kazakhstan. Yay

brakes
    Free Member

love it

Sandwich

I can see my trips to work, unless it’s the chap on the hi-ten Halfords special who’s logging runs down the drive.

tacopowell
    Free Member

Awesome!

jam-bo

Been using it for a whole to find new trails….

MrNice
    Free Member

France is quiet but the noisy bits are interesting. The loop on the last n of Avignon (just above Marseille on the Med coast) is the Ventoux

MrNick
    Free Member

Cool! Herne Hill is easy to spot. It’s interesting to look at common routes in London too.

swanny853

South downs way is impressively clear against the other routes round there

bob_summers

Nice to see someone getting some miles in in North Korea!

wittonweavers
    Free Member

Interesting stuff! Not sure that they don’t ride more in France – I suspect the French just couldn’t give a toss about strava!

loddrik
    Free Member

Surprised Birmingham is relatively dark for a large urban area.

Genuinely fascinating to see the global map. Israel is glowing whilst all around it is completely unlit.

Northwind

That’s fab, cheers!

caspian – Member

Crazy how quiet France is.

TBH I think a pretty good proportion of the mtb strava in france will be british people

I like the tiny hotspots, like Golspie (so few Balblairs!), Fort William one is weird looking because of the uplift.

paulmgreen
    Free Member

Brilliant stuff

andytherocketeer

handy for finding cheeky trails (look for the feint lines)
    handy to find who runs strava on a turbo trainer (guessing that’s why there are “blotches” in residential areas, with no trails to/from)

WildHunter2009

Ha thsts awesome, looking at Western Australia you can individual mine sites

mikewsmith
    Free Member

our local trails are busy enough
    http://labs.strava.com/heatmap/#14/147.10914/-41.44177/blue/bike
    and a mates house gets a few spots

tenfoot

Bit of a worry. There’s a lot activity at my house, even leading up my drive. Seeing as I have put my house in a privacy zone, looks like I need to have a chat with my riding buddies.

kcal

lovely. handy to scope out what trails might work. or have been covered at least.

Harry_the_Spider

Good to see the Monday Night Pub ride’s meeting spot on Church Lane in Prestwich. 😀

montarius
    Free Member

What a dream tool for a burglar!

lemonysam
    Free Member

I love that you can just faintly make out the local CX courses as ghostly imprints.

Northwind

Hands up anyone else who’s now planning a bit of poaching?

Trailpoaching that is, not bike poaching (I think that’s more “scrumping”)

martinhutch

Hands up anyone else who’s now planning a bit of poaching?

Was looking at the bright trace direct from Ingleborough Summit over Simon Fell and down, thinking there was an epic piece of cheek I was missing out on.

Till I realised it was from the 3 Peaks Cyclocross…

crazy-legs

Have a look at Moab, Utah. You can clearly make out Slickrock Trail and Porcupine Rim. Porc Rim is the one which seemingly starts in the middle of nowhere due to most people getting an uplift to the trail head.

andytherocketeer

guessing the bike/run/both accuracy is a bit wrong too

was just looking at Helvellyn, but see peoole have “ridden” Striding Edge. Oh and the must have used the ski tow at Raise too.

must be quite a significant number of hikes, skiing, etc. sessions logged as a bike ride.

jam-bo

must be quite a significant number of hikes, skiing, etc. sessions logged as a bike ride.

I log kayak trips as mtb because there is no kayak option. You’d get a bit wet if you tried to ride some of my dartmoor segments…

smartboy
    Free Member

Is there one going up the centre of the English Channel?
    A fat-bike perhaps?

andytherocketeer

oh and a quick look at Sella Ronda ski resort suggests skiing is logged more often as run rather than bike. And I’m guessing hike, via ferrata, etc. are too

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Global Strava Heatmap’ is closed to new replies.