Glentress "The Bitch"

Home Forum Bike Forum Glentress "The Bitch"

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Glentress "The Bitch"
  • Liftman

It spat you out head on directly in the path of riders coming down the red route.

coogan

Is it? Track was wide enough before.

b r

Don’t know, but it flowed nice enough on Monday.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Whole lot of reasons that I know of for that one, I don’t know which were most important though. As Liftman says it caused a fair of conflicting traffic, you had 2 streams of riders at speed in opposite directions and the u-turn to continue on the black complicated that (as you had people braking across the trail, turning etc) Basically the old exit just pointed the wrong way. (as an aside, improving safety/removing contention is one of the ways they can get authorisation for new trail)

Also, the drainage at the bottom is absolutely useless and the corner just before the exit was deteriorating. The timing of it tied into the EWS as it flows the Bitch better into the semi-official line down to the ponds (and the rest of the black of course).

So, no one big reason. I liked the old exit tbh but the new one is good with speed and will narrow up once the greenery encroaches, it’s a wee bit too wide just now. See how it evolves, it’s not hard-armoured so should take its final shape from riding. Though, tbh these days that means the straightest most boring line might become the line… The dumbing down of the Bitch further up is all down to corner cutting ****

(it’s not one I worked on so I’ve got no bias btw 😉 )

fergal

No big deal, was just surprised to find the super smooth ramp, instead of a little rocky shoot, always liked the natural feel of this bit of trail, ho hum. Glorious on Wednesday had forgotten how good the black down from the mast actually is.

fergal

Anyone know why the exit to this has been modified?

coogan

As Liftman says it caused a fair of conflicting traffic, you had 2 streams of riders at speed in opposite directions

All the times I came down it never saw anyone else coming the other way, like I say, the track was always wide enough I felt.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

We did some drainage work around the area last year or maybe the year before and in the time I was around I saw 2 near misses. I’ve personally hit a mate up the arse because he stopped dead at the exit, turns out you can’t brake in mid air 😆 Hard stops and changes of direction at trail exits are generally a bad idea but I don’t think it was especially terrible.

So I got the impression from Andy that it wouldn’t have been rerouted just for that, but there were a whole lot of things involved. I’m kind of ambivalent about it but doing it at speed and carrying that into the road is satisfying and it does link better into the next trail (whichever you choose)

Oh and usual rules apply-new trail generally starts out smooth, then beds in and becomes more interesting over time. We tend not to build the trail surface we want today, because it’d wear out fast, we build the seed for the trail we want to exist in a year. (and then cross our fingers 😉 ) It’s more like baking than cooking.

ohrats

it flows the Bitch better into the semi-official line down to the ponds

There’s a trail from the bottom of kirn law to the ponds?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Glentress "The Bitch"’ is closed to new replies.