Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Glentress pie run
  • edinburghbiker
    Free Member

Is it just me or is the pie run a nasty bit of trail.
    Personaly i hate this bit of trail, its hard to keep and speed or flow, the roots are all managable apart from that bitch of a corner with the large root step down which i have fallen on, does anyone share my view?

whatnobeer
    Free Member

I love Pie Run 😀

Garry_Lager

Fan of it myself – like the trees up close like that on the st, like the twists and turns.
    Probably is hard to ride fast – good trail to sharpen the racing skills (if that’s your thing).

hels
    Free Member

Yeah, and who put all those trees in the way ??

druidh
    Free Member

I usually do the full red and miss out this short cut.

Northwind

<counts down before someone complains that it’s been sanitised>

Pie Run is an optional section so easily avoided if you don’t like it- go up and do the red proper, or just roll down the fireroad to mushroom pie. But I do love it, it’s something a bit different from the rest of the trails and breaks things up nicely. And IMO it has flow coming out the ears.

FWIW the bitch of a corner- called Trail Perfection- genuinely is one of the harder bits on the red. As proof, it’s the only bit I couldn’t do on my cross bike 😥 It’s still definately in grade IMO, but it’s a darker shade of red than the rest of glentress.

br
    Free Member

I usually do the full read and miss out this short cut.

But in the full red you should be coming back up the fireroad and doing the Pie Run.

I also hate the dodgy root corner, but like the Pie Run – good at night too.

druidh
    Free Member

No. Coming up the fire road, the red route is clearly signposted off to the left. The Pie Run is a shortcut for those wishing to avoid the full red.

br
    Free Member

druidh – according to my (local) riding buddies, its only a full red (for a Strava time) if you climb back up and do the Pie Run

druidh
    Free Member

* yawn *

Hit Squad Hill, The Matrix and The Pie Run
    Classic Glentress downhill follows: the trail is steep, rocky and twisting through the big dipper style Hit Squad Hill. At the bottom, follow the forest road, climbing past the viewpoint on your right and up towards The Matrix, with its mogul-style features. After Lombard Street, a steady forest road descent will bring you to the top of the Magic Mushroom.

To climb or not to climb?
    If you want to cut out The Matrix and in particular the climb up to it, you can opt for the Pie Run.
    http://7stanesmountainbiking.com/Glentress—Innerleithen/The-Glentress-Red-Route

cynic-al
    Free Member

Jeez, NEVER argue with druidh.

NOOb

Northwind

Pff, signs. Everyone knows the One True Red has a lap of Zoom or Bust, a quick dick around on the jumps, and the Bitch instead of Lombard St, and then back up and do Pie Run. And possibly after Sair Fecht you go up to the Buzzard’s and come down the blue, just because it’s fab. PS Spooky woods optional.

hels
    Free Member

Aye, there’s always a dick around on the jumps Northwind.

Northwind

Sometimes it’s me, sometimes it’s some other dick.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

its hard to keep and speed or flow

Although this doesn’t make much sense, I’m guessing that you need to practise. I love this bit of trail. Maybe it’s because I worked on it, including wheelbarrowing tons of hardcore for it. Seems a lot longer bit of trail when you are pushing a heavy wheelbarrow along it. Luckily we had child labour we took full advantage of.

druidh
    Free Member

You might want to re-word that

corrie
    Free Member

Love the pie run. Not so keen that the drop has got bigger at the end so had to go back to looking before leaping

chickenman

Blimey, I was going to post saying the drop at the end had got easier!!

MarkN
    Free Member

Another vote for the pie run, great little bit of trail. I just wish that there was more of it. It is a shame that the corners have been squared off on Zoom or Bust as that used to be better.

the_lecht_rocks

Always link back up to it after the “full” red run myself too….

jono84
    Free Member

This said root tree rooted drop at the end of the pie run … ive only been to gt once an also chickened out of said drop …. what’s people’s opinions on how it is ridden ? From a outside view to me it looked like there was a line on the far right hand side kinda going long ways around the drop ?

Northwind

jono84 – Member

This said root tree rooted drop at the end of the pie run … ive only been to gt once an also chickened out of said drop …. what’s people’s opinions on how it is ridden ? From a outside view to me it looked like there was a line on the far right hand side kinda going long ways around the drop ?

Which bit exactly do you mean? Seems a bit like you might mean the black option onto the fireroad, since that can be taken as a drop?

hels
    Free Member

As the piece of trail now becomes know as the “pedo run”, in honor of steven menmuir’s faux pas….

MarkN
    Free Member

As the piece of trail now becomes know as the “pedo run”, in honor of steven menmuir’s faux pas….

With the trail being so tight and narrow I can see why children may have been used. 😆

Northwind

Mark N – Member

being so tight and narrow I can see why children may have been used.

This thread continues to horrify.

jono84
    Free Member

Possibly it was a fair few months ago since I did it but the section as I remember was really rooty leading up to it an there was a right hand corner which doubles back(switchback?) an seems to drop off /roll off half way round the corner/switch back about a foot

wiz74

Am i being dense or do you have to pay for a GT trail map now???

Northwind

Yah, I know it- there’s a wee bit of boardwalk just after? Used to give me a lot of bother, that one, so I get where you’re coming from- the wee step wouldn’t bother you normally but you’re turning at the same time. It’s actually easier than it seems and no great science to it- Just stick the front wheel down it and then follow it, pretty much.

It’s changed a little recently- the root collapsed on the right hand line which in some ways makes it easier- the step’s lower- but now the higher part on teh left puts some people off I think.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Just to clarify we only used them to shift barrowloads of hardcore. I have no idea what they got up to once they were back on the bus. One of the reasons there isn’t more stuff like that is because it was so labour intensive. A lot of man hours went into what is a relatively short section of trail. I’m not even sure a repeat of that would be possible now that the fairies only meet once a month. If I remember right we even did a few evening sessions on it including a floodlit session although I think that was to repair the fast left hander before the first rooty section.

mrplow
    Free Member

love it – sketchy bunnyhop line is a joy to clear :mrgreen:

jono84
    Free Member

Thats the section northwind cheers I suppose like a lot of things in biking it’s mind over matter

jono84
    Free Member

Double post

Neil-F
    Free Member

You used to be able to roll that drop at the end, but due to a bit of erosion its become a bum twitching drop. 😆

tpbiker
    Free Member

I’m so pleased that I’m not the only one who hates that little rooty stepdown turn. Rest of the red run is pretty easy, but I have never managed to get round that corner without falling on my ass. IMO Its the hardest bit of trail in all of GT, and I include the black in that.

jono84
    Free Member

Although I didn’t ride it I wouldn’t say I hate it I enjoyed the rest of the rooty section an it’s nice to know in my head “next time I go I’m gonna ride that” or at least have a go if there was no challenge to it for me I’d lose interest I recon … being in a trail center I also know everything is ridable so no excuses for me !

Northwind

Neil F – Member

You used to be able to roll that drop at the end, but due to a bit of erosion its become a bum twitching drop.

The black line onto the fireroad? Still rolls.

coastkid
    Free Member

Whats not to like? its a trail centre, all easy riding then one section of trail making you work the bike, so work it 🙂
    If your doing the full red then just ride up the road 1/4 mile before Magic Mushroom 🙂 hardly a hassel to do 😉

Heres a film how its done from a couple of years ago, jump all the tree roots, it is faster and easier, mate in front was an ex Scottish champ and makes it look easy, no way could keep with him 😉

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KKhVHVnZog&list=UUSv198UD3Wy-dBsg3K40IvQ&index=215&feature=plcp[/video]

Mike-E

Smash it up – class.

Defo one of the more interesting trails IMO.

coastkid
    Free Member

A faster descent, though a bit over exposed, proves too hardtails are quick through the Pie run, though it is a mecca god rider in front who will not be on here for a wee while… :mrgreen:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsuLXS4zB-U&list=UUSv198UD3Wy-dBsg3K40IvQ&index=101&feature=plcp[/video]

Northwind

How long did he get this time?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Glentress pie run’ is closed to new replies.