Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Glentress Peel Contracts
  • pixelmix
    Free Member

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/newsrele.nsf/WebPRByCountryLang/2B06D4E7C9041E998025782200437E5D

So Alpine Bikes for the shop, and “GT Restaurants Ltd” for the cafe. Pleased to see it isn’t a big chain for the latter, as it seems to be a couple of locals behind it, which is hopefully a good thing. I am reserving judgement for the time being.

Just hope the cake is as big as the hub – I had a piece of carrot cake the size of my face on Saturday. 😀

cupra
    Free Member

If I remember correctly GT Restaurants turned the glentress hotel around but were touch n go at one point. Nice to keep it local.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Cupra – yes, that is what the FC piece suggests.

Northwind

Hmm, wonder if that’ll stop the usual suspects banging on about “A MacDonalds at the trailhead”. Probably not eh.

bigjim

Mmmmmmmmm ride-though maccas. Mmmmm hub carrot cake…….

kimbers

thats progress for ya

iainc

good that the catering is staying local. Alpine are pretty good too.

pumpkin
    Free Member

Seeing as how Glentress hotel already exists at the bottom of the trail yet we all head to The Hub, does that not tell them something about our preferences?

iainc

Seeing as how Glentress hotel already exists at the bottom of the trail yet we all head to The Hub, does that not tell them something about our preferences?

In general I’d say no IMO. Who’d want to head to an ‘offsite’ location for a cuppa and cake when there is one right there in the carpark where you can keep an eye on your bike etc…

Presumably new facility will be similar in that you park bike in safe visible location etc ? I’d not be too keen to leave it on roof of car and head to a Cafe, whther in a forest or anywhere else

Northwind

pumpkin – Member

“Seeing as how Glentress hotel already exists at the bottom of the trail yet we all head to The Hub, does that not tell them something about our preferences? “

Can only speak for myself but no… Never even occurred to me to go further away than the Hub, never mind into a hotel when i want a quick hit in a cafe while covered in mud.

enduro-aid
    Free Member

so the hub shop will be closing in feb and if they choose too they can keep the cafe running till feb 2012

I suppose thats somthing, they are not getting kicked out this year

nodrog2
    Free Member

Have eaten at The Glentress Hotel before for evening meals. It’s very good indeed so hopefully that will transfer to the new cafe.

As for Alpine bikes, i’m sure they’ll do a good job but as i never use the Hub bike shop when i’m at GT then i don’t see myself using Alpine either. Good luck to them though.

toons
    Free Member

Congrats to both and good luck.

t-p26
    Free Member

Whatever happened to the “boycott the new owners” when it was announced that the girls had lost the tender for the “new place”??

Bregante

Just hope the cake is as big as the hub

Imagine that, cake as big as the hub. Where would you find an oven big enough?

Bregante

Pretty much always stay at the Glentress hotel every time I get up there and Olly is a top bloke. I wish him all the best

Artillerydave
    Free Member

yep, the guy who runs the Glentress Hotel is a real good bloke and his food is absolutely top drawer, so well done to him.

He has put our club up, the Woollybacks, loads of times and always does an ace spread.

Well done to his team on this new venture and hope it goes very well for them.

Bregante

highly recommend the GT Hotel for group trips. We usually bung Olly a tenner each and he gives us his BBQ and puts on a Mahoosive spread for us to cook ourselves. Superb

rOcKeTdOg

blimey if Oli from the GT Hotel is in charge of breakfasts there’s no way i’ll get up the hill after one of those, they are huge!

Bushwacked
    Free Member

GT Hotel is a great place and I really enjoyed my stay there – wishing them all the best!

geoffj

WTF – FC Scotland gets something right(ish) – 😯

dazzlingboy

Never been in the hotel but glad the locals have a piece of the action and sounds like they’re good people. I’ll miss the shop – always had good service – maybe some of the guys will be offered jobs?

Good luck to all.

bigjim

Whatever happened to the “boycott the new owners” when it was announced that the girls had lost the tender for the “new place”??

Yes things have changed since a face and name were put to it! Bless the internet.

Would be good to keep both, I like the Hub, there is a good vibe that will be hard to match in a big architecty glass and wood place.

kimbers

will the new owners keep up the kids mtbing classes like tracy and emma used to?
    was something that always made me happy seeing a line of sprogs heading up the trail

Kit
    Free Member

will the new owners keep up the kids mtbing classes like tracy and emma used to?

Well that’s nothing to do with the cafe or the shop, so I’d imagine that they will continue to run classes/coaching, unless the FC have categorically told them to shove off the site entirely.

Any public comments from Tracy and Emma yet? Would be nice to see them wishing the new tenants all the best, offering support and so on.

druidh
    Free Member

I have nothing constructive to say.

stabilizers

Well there goes any antipathy I might of had for the people taking it over. Olly is a good guy and a great chef who’s brought the GT hotel back from the dead. He knows bikers are his livelihood. Good luck to him.

iain1775
    Free Member

fickle bunch us mountain bikers arnt we 😉

MrsToast
    Free Member

I’m still quite sad about The Hub going, their cake was indeed the best cake in the world. But as people have said, at least some locals have been given the tender, and if the Glentress Hotel peeps can do cake as well as they do steak then hopefully all is not lost.

I do wonder what Tracey and Emma will do though. 🙁

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Glentress Peel Contracts’ is closed to new replies.