Glentress or Ae??

Home Forum Bike Forum Glentress or Ae??

Viewing 44 posts - 1 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Glentress or Ae??
  • b r

We went to Ae a couple of years ago; tbh I’d only go again if I wanted just to session the DH track and last bit of the trail run.

What about Drumlairig (not sure of spelling) Castle or Newcastleton?

Premier Icon footflaps
    Subscriber

Glentress / Innerleithen Red routes are much nicer than Ae IMHO.

jordie

Try Kirrougtree, Ae isn`t in the same as GT in any way

fairhurst

glentress blue is utterly superb!

Premier Icon Bushwacked
    Subscriber

Off up to Scotland next week working (from Cheltenham). Going to take my bike so I can do a red route.

SOmeone has suggested Ae red route rather than GT red which I had planned as it isn’t as far.

GT has its Pro’s – I know what is what there and Ae is a bit of an unknown. But GT adds an hours drive onto the journey.

What’s Ae like? is it worth doing or should I spend the extra hour travelling and do GT?

I’m inclined to give Ae a try as the guy who mentioned it I trust his judgement but just wondered what the general concensus is.

Ae isn’t worth visiting even once IMO. Worst trail centre I’ve ever ridden. Drumlanrig is quite pleasant though..

Premier Icon ChrisL
    Subscriber

I’ve yet to be persuaded to go to Ae, I’ve rarely heard anyone say things about the red there that average to positive. On the other hand if that part of the country is less out of your way than Glentress then I can heartily recommend Drumlanrig.

bjj.andy.w

Haven’t been to Ae for must be 5 years so I imagine it’s changed since then. If it hasn’t I’d echo what Br said. Push comes to shove I’d choose Inners or Kirrougtree.

Premier Icon footflaps
    Subscriber

If I had to rank them (having ridden up there just last week), I’d go something like:

Kirroughtree Red/Black 1st,
    Glentress Black 2nd (with Deliverance closed),
    Innerleithen Red 3rd
    Dalbeattie Red 4th,

I know a lot of people won’t agree but I just find Glentress Red dull (well the spooky wood bit – those sort of man made berms don’t do anything for me, just find myself coasting down it thinking about work).

coogan

I’m not a big fan of Spooky Wood either. I’d do Innerleithen over Glentress. And certainly both way over Ae, found it guff.

Premier Icon youngrob
    Subscriber

Try Mabie or Dalbeattie, shouldn’t be too far out your way. Give Ae a miss but ride Innerleithen over GT if you get up that far.

Ive done ae 2 or 3 times and really enjoyed it. Done gt 10’s of time and enjoy it more.
    The only stane I’ve not been to is glentrool but that’s more a family place anyhoo.
    The only stane I’ve not fully enjoyed was Dalbeattie but this was 2008 and the day before we had done kirroughtree, also I have heard there is a load of new stuff at Dalbeattie since 08.

What about doing two in one day?? Mabie Dalbeattie and ae are all close together

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Ae’s alright. It’s fine. It’s just that it’s only about 1/10th as good as Glentress, is all. And if you just stick to the posted route it’s not as good as any of the other trail centres in the general area (except Glentrool anyway)

If you’re in the- ah hah, wait for it- aerea (1) then kirroughtree’s a little further, but way better… But Ae’s also surprisingly hard work, so Drumlanrig and Mabie can both be knocked off in a day without very much more effort, and they’re both better.

(1) Sorry.

Premier Icon momo
    Subscriber

I’d rather go to GT or Kirroughtree over Ae, it’s not that Ae is bad, just that the other centres are much better.

stevewhyte

Ae really is only for serious bikers, its tough on the bike and rider with a few nice technical climbs. There has been a new section put in at the top which is nice and smooth.

Mabie is a nice ride not mega tough or long.

Drumlanrig is nice and well worth a visit.

Do yourself a favour and ride the routes and make your own assessment.

Drumlanrig good. What about Dalbeattie ??

I dont understand how people can say ae is worse than Mabie. Mabie is so basic/tame 🙁

jamess

If your coming all that way do GT and Innerleithen which has a great finish on the red – we did them on a weekend. That’ll give you a chance to mix up your GT routes especially including the blue. Well worth the extra hour drive up.

coogan

Ae really is only for serious bikers, its tough on the bike and rider with a few nice technical climbs.

Really? Serious bikers? I just found it a tad boring. Maybe I’m not serious.

jordie

+1 Boring it would be okay if you stayed there?

Premier Icon footflaps
    Subscriber

Mabie was so boring I can’t remember any of it.

Premier Icon footflaps
    Subscriber

A photo from last week at Inners showing XC Jeyboys can do drops (on carbon steerer 100mm SIDs) 😉

Andrew Cockburn on Caddon Bank by brf, on Flickr

stevewhyte

Good stuff footflaps, less bikes on the trail at Mabie means less people to hold me up. 😀

Did Ae, Dalbeattie and Mabie last autumn and would rate them in that order. I thought Ae was brilliant.

inners tough climb but well worth when you get to the top and great big smiles all the way down. so we done it again ,highly recommend it .

daveb

Out of those two GT everytime.

Bushwacked – you’ll have a ball whatever you end up doing!

I met a young chap (maybe 15-17) at GT yesterday eve. He lives in D&G – near Ae and Drumlanrig. His mtb highlight each year is getting to Inners and GT (his folks holiday each year around mtb centres in Scotland – lucky chap!).

However – GT / Inners are on my doorstep so I’ve got the opposite novelty value I guess. For me – coming from the south – Kirrougtree, Drumlanrig, Mabie, GT, Inners.

If driving wasn’t an issue and you cant go further north – possibly the reverse. Ae doesnt do it for me at all.

Lastly – are you on your own or with a mix of experience / ability?

mr plow

Ae is a good day out if you head up the Shredder first, round the XC and then head up and do the DH to finish. :mrgreen:

james

“do drops (on carbon steerer 100mm SIDs”
    warranty void?
    Ive no idea

Saddle fully up dropping caddon bank?!

Ae in 2007 for me slightly ignoring the half the trail fireroad diversion (no felling or trail work) was good
    Ae in 2009, even with one or two new sections, was a let down. A load of sections had been felled and the trail patched up with the end result pretty poor, rubbley surfaces and/or wide open path widths rather than flowy trail. Some good (untouched) bits remained
    3 years on Ive no idea whats new or whats bedded in now?

People who are rude about Mabie in general have not ridden half of what is there 🙂

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpqj2snrqnk[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0jW_HPnhOA[/video]

If you are after a red route, I would look at Drumlanrig and do the red/black combo, especially if you have a problem with the extra hour’s drive to Glentress. But yes, Glentress overall is much better than Ae, Ae is more a locals centre really, although I now add in The Shredder to the red.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Maybe getting a wee bit off topic but I just reminded myself how overrated innerleithen is at the weekend. Now it’s not bad at all, in fact it’s pretty damn good but it’s got a nasty dull climb, pedally descents, and not much variety at all. The black section is interesting but mostly it’s just like one big spooky wood, with slightly bigger stuff on it. Rather ride GT any day tbh… Or just ignore the XC route and do the good stuff.

That said, it’s still better than Ae.

……..

That said, it’s still better than Ae.

As a usually friendly nice guy I could argue with a lot of that – but actually –
    nail – hammer – head.

skywalker

Glentress is excellent, love that place.

radoggair

footflaps – come on though, hardly a novice is he ( kielder 100 2010 winner? ) although i bet he chicken runned the last (2?) drop(s) 🙂

overrated innerleithen

hahaha.

don’t often see those two words together…

…and with good reason.

munrobiker

Ae is the worst trail centre known to man. Awful tame, draggy, exposed claggy trails.

GT’s OK- a bit busy and not got much gradient.

Go the extra 5 min drive to Inners. Much better- a good climb, nice long descent that is, unusually for a trail centre, not basically flat.

skywalker

GT’s OK- a bit busy and not got much gradient.

WTF!

Some controversial statements on this thread ay? 🙂

fairhurst

munrobiker – Member

Ae is the worst trail centre known to man. Awful tame, draggy, exposed claggy trails.

Munrobiker what ever are you on about 😕

Ae is one of the better ones you silly moo.

Castle douglas locals off to ride Kirr on Wed night if you fancy it

Premier Icon johnhe
    Subscriber

I haven’t ridden Ae, but I have ridden Kirroughtree and Glrentress. Personally I think that Glentress is twice the riding experience that Kirroughtree is (and I don’t mean to diss Kirroughtree – I love it too). To me, Glnetress is in a different league.

pinhead

None as its all for willy wufters!
    gnar is where its at not some pussy middle class know it alls talking suspension set up and try pressures in the car park wot wot faggots.

munkyboy

Ae is way better than people say. Its improving as the trails rough up a bit. They have ruined a lot of sections by tree felling and smoothing over the older rocky sections. Omega man fairly makes up for the rest though, but only if you are up for it. Cafe and shop are now shut though so the facilities are not great.

coffeeking

Was up at Mabie today and have to say I much prefer it to GT in many ways, though I do like GT’s all up first then downs in one go whereas mabie tends to draw out the up, but at least it has some variation and the top bit and through the water splash is much improved over my last trip thre. The new berms are ace, pulling some huge G through those corners was fun! I find GT a bit samey, maybe I’ve just been too many times.

I’ve ridden ‘tree but not Ae, I like ‘tree but it’s more technical XC than anything else.

At the end of the day it’s horses for courses, there’s never going to be agreement in every argument.

Was up at Mabie today and have to say I much prefer it to GT in many ways

Have to agree, Mabie is very underrated.

Viewing 44 posts - 1 through 44 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Glentress or Ae??’ is closed to new replies.