Glentress- Mast Of Zorro as part of a loop?

Home Forum Bike Forum Glentress- Mast Of Zorro as part of a loop?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Glentress- Mast Of Zorro as part of a loop?
  • Premier Icon BoardinBob
    Subscriber

Transition isn’t that bad. About halfway round you pass the black climb, I think its the goat track. Alternatively from there its almost down all the way to Anderson road

Premier Icon bigjim
    Subscriber

I’ve done it by going back up the bridleway from the end of the last bit, onto the forest track then along escape route forest track back to other stuff, or yeah black outbound again. Linking to zoom or bust and down to fort would be a good one but I can’t figure it out in my head.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Just trying to work out the best way to do the “mast of zorro” descent from the EWS (ie from just below the mast on the black, down mark of zorro, then down the 2 “natural” descents that follow on, one new and one older, almost down to the shieldgreen centre…)

On the EWS it was a pretty grim transition, 2 pushes, a winch, a trundle and a final fireroad grind back up, rather not do that. The fire roads seem not to link up too well… You can cut off the final descent and get back onto the black outbound route or fireroad back into the buzzard’s easily enough… but it’d be a shame to lose that final section

Lovely bits of trail though so would be nice to work them into a more civilised lap! Only other option I suppose is to go out of the trailcentre entirely and over to the back of the hydro? Some nice things in there.

legend

Up the Spooky Woods climb then over the back along some fun walking trails, shortish push and you’re at the top.
    Would be moar detailed but I can’t be arsed typing it all out on my phone

Premier Icon BoardinBob
    Subscriber

Actually just thought of a better option. Where the stage ended, head along the path but cut to the right instead of staying left. This will drop you down to a white building. From there pick up the black walking trail which is a short push up behind the building. Stay on the black walking trail but riding now and you’ll rejoin the black climb. Saves losing height to regain it again. As a change, don’t rejoin the black bike trail but stay on the walking trail. Rarely used and is quite a nice climb. It’ll spit you out at the bottom of Britney Spears.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Ah, the bridleway/landrover track at the end of the stage goes back up as well? That’s a big help, I couldn’t work out where it joins back into things, every time I’ve ridden it we’ve gone down- either down and then up and left at the race, or further down to the shieldgreen centre (via the wee singletrack by the stream).

BoardinBob – Member

Rarely used and is quite a nice climb

I’ve done that as a climb, I think, and thought it unnice.

Premier Icon Prophet2
    Subscriber

Nice one, will try the path that splits off to the right to loop you round to the Black walking path climb. I have done the walking trail climb that takes you to the end of Britney many times. Nice it is not, however it makes for a good workout!

When we finish the EWS stage we usually turn right and head back up the landrover track for 5 mins. It takes you to the fireroad that you can join, turn left and follow it to take you to the start of the Tower Trail climb. Or turn right ride past the exit of The Goat Track until you reach a push up track on the left. Push up that and it takes you to the start of The Goat Track. Either rejoin Black or turn right and head along the fireroad and you will eventually hit the start of Anderson Rd or continue a bit further down and you will get to the freeride. Apologies if you know this already!

simply_oli_y

The lowest part of that track is now predominantly blocked by bracken/tree branches.

Means you can do the first 2 sections, then cut right and head round to the black climb again.

Premier Icon Garry_Lager
    Subscriber

Prophet2 – Member

Nice one, will try the path that splits off to the right to loop you round to the Black walking path climb. I have done the walking trail climb that takes you to the end of Britney many times. Nice it is not, however it makes for a good workout!Love that climb, beautiful trail – a bit of a tear-jerker if you’ve been on the ale the night before, mind.
    Reckon a strong climber could tan the whole thing from the house up to the mast – remember the bit behind the house as being v steep, though.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

simply_oli_y – Member

The lowest part of that track is now predominantly blocked by bracken/tree branches.

Huh. Does it look intentionally blocked, or naturally blocked?

Cheers for the comments folks, I guess I was hoping for a magic elevator but just getting back to the black more easily makes it work well enough.

jockhaggis

Thread hijack, but do you think this stage will be in the King and Queen in a few weeks time? Any intel on stages for this year?

Premier Icon Trekster
    Subscriber

. Stay on the black walking trail but riding now and you’ll rejoin the black climb. Saves losing height to regain it again. As a change, don’t rejoin the black bike trail but stay on the walking trail. Rarely used and is quite a nice climb. It’ll spit you out at the bottom of Britney Spears.

The original climb before Britney?
    Which was a decent on the the very 1st GT trail many moons ago 😐

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Glentress- Mast Of Zorro as part of a loop?’ is closed to new replies.