• This topic has 117 replies, 71 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by mt.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 118 total)
  • Glentress – Did everyone forget their manners?
  • BoardinBob

I was at Kirroughtree yesterday on my own. Great day and I commented to my wife when I got home at how friendly everyone was. Everyone said hello and I had a few conversations with random strangers.

Fast forward to today and the wife and I were at Glentress. She’s fairly inexperienced but I took her round the red route today for the first time and she managed it just fine. However…

Coming down Hit Squad Hill, I was in front and she was following about 30 seconds behind me. I paused at a point to let her catch up but she didn’t appear for ages. 3 pretty fast riders passed me so I assumed she had pulled over to let them through. A few minutes later she appeared cut, bruised and a bit upset. She’d went over the handlebars at one of the rocky downhill sections and she ended up sprawled on the trail with her bike on top of her in pain and crying.

The 3 riders that had passed me while I was waiting passed by her as she was lying there and not one even acknowledged her never mind asked if she was ok. 🙄 Ignorant f*cking ****.

Then on the final descent, on the blue trail, she’s ahead of me going at a reasonable pace when some stupid bitch on a bright green Y-framed Apollo comes flying up behind her, barges her out the way and she falls off and slides down the side of the hill with the bike on top of her. The woman didn’t even stop to check if she was ok.

Arseholes.

Offroading
    Free Member

Tress is ok – but it’s success has been it’s downfall – far to busy, too many arseholes around the place – ive had a similar experience in the past.

Not been back for two years and i dont miss it either.

MikeT-23
    Free Member

Sorry to hear that.
    Did you chase after Apollo bitch and mete out the same treatment?
    I think I would’ve tried to.

BoardinBob

far to busy, too many arseholes around the place

Yes, there’s a definite arrogance about a lot (not all) of the people that ride there. Everyone posturing trying to show how hardcore and “rad” they are.

mamadirt
    Free Member

🙁

Hope she’s OK and it hasn’t dented her confidence too much.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Its the same if you go out for a road ride dressed in your mtb clobber-I say hi to everyone I see two wheels, horse or walking. It astounds me the amount of unfriendly people and I am afraid to say the majority of the more ignorant are bike riders IMHO.
    It is a sign of the times-hope it doesnt put yur good lady off riding.

dr_adams
    Free Member

that is sad:( hope your good lady isn’t put off.

househusband

Sorry to hear of this sad episode, Bob.

I would suggest that Glentress attracts more first-timers that most other ‘trail centres’, therefore there’s a higher percentage of inexperienced mountain bikers there. Can’t think of there being any excuse for the three, apparently experienced, mountain bikers passed your wife sprawled off the trail. (FWIW I’d have stopped, checked she was okay, and carried on to stop and make you aware.)

Shandy
    Free Member

Those bunches of cynical young people who always seem to be smirking at some unspoken in-joke…?

Riding past somebody on the ground without asking if they’re ok is pretty low.

FoxyChick
    Free Member

That’s truly shocking Bob!
    When we were there in Feb my daughter came off ahead of us and when I arrived a bloke and his son had picked her up and looked after her! So not all bad.
    BUT, 2 weeks ago at Dalbeattie, we set off from the car at the same time as five blokes from Newcastle MTB club.
    Now 2 of them must have been really unfit cos I passed them on one of the early uphills!!
    But then as it leveled out a bit I heard them behind me, and moved my bike and my kids right off the trail so they could pass. Not a “cheers”, “thanks” or anything!
    Sadly the world is full of ignorant people.

lowey

Thats total Crap…. which d1ckhead in their right minds would just cycle past a rider who is down… just pure bloody bad manners and ignorance.

I hope your wife is OK Bob.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

May I suggest…

😉

That is bad though. I have only ever had good experiences when going a bag of shite on a trail and I have spent a lot of time sprawled across various trails.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

That’s absolutely awful not stopping to help your wife 8O. Those people just don’t feel any obligation to anyone but themselves and their “fun”. The more people I meet, the more I like my bike.

djglover
    Free Member

Ladies first?

Sounds like you also forgot your manners BoardinBob

the_lecht_rocks

MTFU ?

BoardinBob

Surely it’s WTFU? 😆

fatblokeattheback
    Free Member

Hope she is ok.

Been out and about in Hebden Bridge today and there are some right grumpy
    feckers out there.

It’s as if it’s beneath them to speak to you!

foxylaydee
    Free Member

Hi, from a womans perspective it must have been awful for her and it really knocks the confidence – i had a similar wipeout when i first started and although no-one rode past me, it took me a few years to get my confidence again. Hope she is ok and perhaps optimistically of me i think it is the minority of riders who would behave in such a bad way – i am guessing they are a*holes off the bikes too!
    :-/

the_lecht_rocks

glad there’s nobody ride where we ride………and where we ride is world class 🙂

taka
    Free Member

on yer driveway? 😆

soobalias
    Free Member

sounds like im not the only one who deliberately rides “off season”

locally – avoid weekends, bank holidays, school holidays or days with nice weather, obviously some trails are worse than others but ‘traffic’ is often a consideration
    further afield – if im aiming for a trail centre, i’d prefer midweek, at the very least not a school holiday/bank holiday/weekend

I’d have them all shot.

the_lecht_rocks

taka – although lengthy and private, it’s not my driveway 🙂

ton

i find a lot of the younger riders today are riding for radness.
    not like the older end who ride for the joy of being out in the countryside, and enjoying the comradeship of cycling that a lot of older riders were brought up with, stemming from ctc and club rides.
    they seem more interested in what they can ride down or clean, and the sight of someone falling infront of them would probably bring them a fix of sick humour.
    all you can hope in life is that if one of these kind of people fall, it will be harder and from a graeter height, and hopefully someone will ride past them in their time of need.

8)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Sounds like you met some real ijits.

I have to say I have never had any hassle at Glentress – apart for people blocking the trail when standing around – we need the whole trail and more you numpties!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Did you chase after Apollo bitch and mete out the same treatment?

that would make you just as bad 🙁

and hopefully someone will ride past them in their time of need.

similarly, it would be better if they received help and perhaps came to realise our shared responsibility for each other…

ton

barnes, you stood and laughed when steve fell off in the lakes… 😉

Filthy
    Free Member

Tossers… for riding straight past her.

Just for the record if I saw a lady in distress I’d stop to offer assistance straight away, especially if she was a looker 😉

Usually stop to offer help for anyone, wether it be mechanical or otherwise, you never know when you might need the favour returning. No doubt Karma will catch up with them one day.

sherry
    Free Member

That’s real sh!t that your miss’s had a couple of off’s in one day! never mind those tools who don’t help and the bint on the apollo, karma will get them back. Hope it doesn’t put her off to much, there are loads of helpful mountain bikers out there, including some at Glentress.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

barnes, you stood and laughed when steve fell off in the lakes…

yeah, but I’d have given him any help he needed if he was hurt! Laughing is all part of it :o)

simonralli2
    Free Member

That’s a shame. I had a really really bad fall at Ae which shouldn’t have been too bad, apart from the fact that my arm landed on a rock causing a pretty bad injury. I was at the bottom of the first big descent.

A bloke in the next group of lads to come down ensured to all others that they slow down or stop as me and my bike were sprawled across the trail. The next people to pass were a couple, and they gave me first aid from their first aid kit.

Then the next guy to come down changed my tyre as I only had the use of one arm.

Others who then subsequently passed all slowed to check that I was OK and if I needed help.

So yeah, don’t know if maybe it is just Glentress? Really hope your wife is OK and isn’t put off biking.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It’s full of ignorant ****.

I hadn’t been for a couple of years, but bit the bullet and took the 2 hour drive down recently.
    Got to the Hub about 8am, climbed up to the buzzards nest and was standing looking at the new wall of death style thingys in the freeride area, and this bloke pulls upnext to me. ‘Morning, how you doing’ or words to those effect from me, absolutely sod all from him. and it descended from there all day.

It is polluted with bawbags.

RichPenny
    Free Member

That is absolutely shocking. Have to say though, my experiences at trail centres in this vein have been very good. Granted, the only trail centres I’ve been to are the Welsh ones.

People stopping to enquire as to why I am upside down are normally reassured by the giggles 🙂 Always had people stop (and always do the same) to see if they can help during a mechanical. I’ll move aside if people want to go faster than me, and mostly get a cheery acknowledgement.

Perhaps these people haven’t been biking long enough to understand the etiquette? I would agree that at trail centres people are more focussed on their riding. The “we’re all out in the countryside together” vibe might be absent, which would be a shame.

dr_adams
    Free Member

i don’t think the etiquette comes with riding… i think some people are just muppets…

RichPenny
    Free Member

Well, obviously anyone who rides past an injured person or barges their way past is a ****, not just a muppet. Anyone inexperienced might not understand that a mechanical is a serious problem. Generally, I suppose it isn’t in that environment because you’re only a few miles from the car.

MrOvershoot

Terrible behaviour by the two blokes, Mrs Apollo might have been out of control?
    On a better note I can’t remember anyone in the Peak District today being anything other than cheery (might be that the sun was out but not too hot) had lots of walkers holding gates open and chatting to us!

rOcKeTdOg

bastids, hope she’s ok and still has the enthusiasm for riding

Mat

i find a lot of the younger riders today are riding for radness.
    not like the older end who ride for the joy of being out in the countryside, and enjoying the comradeship of cycling that a lot of older riders were brought up with, stemming from ctc and club rides.
    they seem more interested in what they can ride down or clean, and the sight of someone falling infront of them would probably bring them a fix of sick humour.
    all you can hope in life is that if one of these kind of people fall, it will be harder and from a graeter height, and hopefully someone will ride past them in their time of need.

[8)]

Hope this is some brass-eye still piss take right?

Can’t really write us all off, i think I’m pretty polite, I say hi to most folk I meet in the hills, thank them when I pass them and certainly stop if someones spackered themselves across the trail, can happen to any of us.

Definately decided to steer of glentress this weekend, I hate bank holidays! Revision and a cold meant all I could manage was a quick spin in the pentlands on the cx.

the_lecht_rocks – I was riding at pitfichie last week and some ****t on a full suss, sun glasses (proper magazine photoshoot gettup) gave me some dirty look as he razzed down the fire road into the car park, I was riding up the side and he forced me out of the way so he could get the best line. Wish I had the skillz to ride a fire road like that :p noticed he had a tarty civic in the carpark, he was sooooo cool…

what world class stuff do you ride by the way?

(I don’t ride trail centres often, that was my first time at pitfichie, I just figured I should ride it living near by)

2hottie
    Free Member

Shocking.

When I broke my arm for the second time on the northface trail, I was soon helped by a couple walking as well as the chaps I was riding with, then five other bikers who came past. Also the ranger picked me up and dropped me off at the car which was nice of him. I always stop to help or at least slow and ask if they’re ok. I hope your lady is ok. If people cycled past my girlfriend (who is also very inexperienced) an she was in trouble, I would be very angry and upset an may find my temper at boiling point!!!

hope she gets well soon.

BoardinBob

Cheers all. She’s fine but she was pretty shaken up at the time.

Now she’s just annoyed she can’t wear a skirt tonight because her legs are all cut and bruised 🙄 😆

househusband

…annoyed she can’t wear a skirt tonight …

So she’s taking the sensible option and wearing nowt but a thong…? RESULT!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 118 total)

The topic ‘Glentress – Did everyone forget their manners?’ is closed to new replies.