Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Glentress Black
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

What’s it like then? Going down tomorrow for the weekend and that’s first on the hit list (lads weekend, collective decision).

I’m familiar with everything at Nevis Range, including both the downhill tracks, most of Laggan, and some of the WHW – those are the widely recognised places I’ve ridden, so wondering which, if any, it might resemble?

Looking forward to it, even though it’s about 100 miles or something…

scotroutes

A long red with a couple of short rocky sections

thegreatape
    Free Member

Long slog up the way, or long going down too? And if the latter, is it fun?

bruneep

What onion said^

Just longer not that technical

thegreatape
    Free Member

Ok thanks.

mactheknife

I seemed to be in the minority in that i absolutely hated it. It seems to have a serious load of climbing for little payoff.

The new trail that was built for the EWS that links into a few more established trails is the daddy 🙂 not sure of the names but starts just where you turn off the top fireroad climb to start the original red route.

Oh and Innerleithen is worth the few extra miles along the road.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Its a must-do I’d say but there is better stuff there if you mix up other bits of trails and some off-piste stuff. Worth it probably for the view at the top…

thegreatape
    Free Member

One of the blokes used to guide/instruct there and, so he tells us, knows the place well, so hopefully we will see a lot of it in two and a half days. This one has been pencilled in for the first ride.

mactheknife

Does this bloke not like you very much??

thegreatape
    Free Member

🙂 dunno – Is it that bad! Probably just going with the majority consensus.

mactheknife

Go with the majority, you might love it. I am happy to accept my minority grumpy status. 😆

bruneep

There is better than the black, i’d rather ride inners or do gypsy’s glen

mactheknife

I’d rather ride round my back garden.

Im done, saying no more, sorry 🙂

somouk
    Free Member

I rode there with my brother a couple of months back and its his local centre he rides weekly.

We rode a lot of the EWS stuff and a couple of off piste bits then the red back down to the car park for speed. Was okay but there was a lot more climbing than I’m used to in the Midlands!

legend
    Free Member

mactheknife – Member
    I’d rather ride round my back garden.
    Im done, saying no more, sorry

yet you recommend Innerleithen? The XC there is like the poor relation

helpful1
    Free Member

forget grading.
    GT black is good. it’s nothing like GT red.
    quite a bit longer
    much rougher
    much more physical
    feels a lot more natural
    The climbs are far harder and actually reward good line choice in places.
    loads of nice natural jumps instead of tailor made ones.
    the fitter and more skilled a rider you are the more you’ll enjoy it.
    if you don’t have any fun riding it you probably don’t really like mountainbiking in general.

MussEd
    Free Member

I like the black. You probably won’t see another rider once you leave the red – and it’ll be heaving at GT as its half term round Edinburgh…if your mate knows the place you’ll see all the good bits don’t worry about the petty bickering on here…

thegreatape
    Free Member

Cheers fellas, guess I’ll just have to wait and see. As long as it’s not trickier than the stuff I’m used to, which it doesn’t sound like, that’s probably what I really wanted to know 😀

bigjim

There is better riding at glentress than just going round the black. Bits of it are good though and you can use it to link the good sections of off piste together.

A good loop incorporating best bits I do is:
    climb up from bottom to top car park
    zoom or bust
    red climb and climb to mast
    trail fairy plan (probably a bit muddy now)
    black climb back to mast
    boundary trail to 5 year plan
    5 year plan
    brown trout
    black route back down, or alternatively back up climb to top car park and then zoom or bust down to the fort and back along the river if you still have some beans left.

many more variations possible!

some of the off piste bits above are significantly trickier and steeper than the black route though.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Thanks bigjim, duly noted.

Northwind

I really like it as a loop… Yep, it’s mostly untechnical but it’s got a nicely clapped out charm and character, some really nice riding… There’s better trails in the forest but it works well as a complete lap imo. The descents do mostly need some real effort to get the most out of.

bigjim’s lap is good too, it’ll feel like a pretty different ride. though I’d suggest mark/mast of zorro instead of trailfairy plan (trailfairy plan’s real name is b side but it gets called both) Starts in more or less the same place, ends on the same trail.

I’d definitely rather do gt black than inners red. But that might be controversial 😆 I’ll be around GT red on saturday (me on a big blue and black BMC, my brother on my grey ragley ti), give us a shout if you see us! Probably inners or golfy way on sunday.

yacoby
    Free Member

What bigjim said. Except I would possibly swap out trail fairy plan for Mast of Zorro. Far easier but lacks the mud. Also if you decide to go down the rest of the black after Brown Trout then ride Ponduro after the Bitch (First trail on the left after the exit of the Bitch).

thegreatape
    Free Member

Ta. If there’s one called Brown Trout we’ll have to include that at some point.

I’ll keep my eyes peeled Northwind – similarly, if you see a robustly built chap coughing and spluttering (uphill) or sliding about and braking far too late (downhill) aboard a blue Bird Zero then feel free to point and laugh 🙂

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Get off the map to actually have fun. Black is mind numbing, I’ve only done it once

br
    Free Member

forget grading.
    GT black is good. it’s nothing like GT red.
    quite a bit longer
    much rougher
    much more physical
    feels a lot more natural
    The climbs are far harder and actually reward good line choice in places.
    loads of nice natural jumps instead of tailor made ones.
    the fitter and more skilled a rider you are the more you’ll enjoy it.
    if you don’t have any fun riding it you probably don’t really like mountainbiking in general.

+1

You’ll be back by lunch-time with a big smile on your face. I like it, especially the Boundary Trail and Deliverance, and even better in the dark 🙂

Though take a copy of the map with you, in case you do have a problem you’ll realise where you are if you need to bale etc.

br
    Free Member

Get off the map to actually have fun. Black is mind numbing, I’ve only done it once

Yes Dan, but you’d rather push up a hill than ride up it. 😉

helpful1
    Free Member

I’ve only done it once

Listen to this guy ^^

He sounds qualified 😉

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Once was enough 🙂 B r loves hard pedalling though, he’s a masochist!

BoardinBob

I like the black. Climbs are physically tough so a good challenge from that perspective. The Boundary Trail from the mast is brilliant. Either do the whole thing or cut off at 5 year plan and then into Deliverance which is one of my favourite man made trails anywhere.

Redemption climb can FRO but afterwards No More Ewok, Double X & The Bitch in a one’r is brilliant

It’s a damn sight better than Spooky Wood!

coogan
    Free Member

I like the Black. But nowadays I do some f it and mix in a bunch of the off piste stuff. Can do a good 20 odd miles. Big climbs, but big descents.

Although I prefer Innerleithen, same again, do the main route and the mix it up at the end with the hand cut trails and rattle down some of the DH runs. I like a bit or Cresta Run.

jonba
    Free Member

I like it. You can mix it up a bit on the way back in and climb back up to do bits of the red and blue which is well worth it.

I only go up there about once a year so to make the most of it do some of the other trails as well at GT and Innerliethen. If you are fit you can get round the black in a couple of hours leaving enough time for Innerliethen and then the red/blue.

Northwind

BoardinBob – Member

Redemption climb can FRO but afterwards No More Ewok, Double X & The Bitch in a one’r is brilliant

Finish the job and go right down to the ponds. I miss the big stupid X but building former ewok/ex XX into a single trail was a Good Idea, those 4 trails are more than the sum of the parts for sure.

(aside; we were looking for a new name for that; I think I might have just found it)

ChrisL

MussEd – Member
    I like the black. You probably won’t see another rider once you leave the red

I don’t know, usually when I ride it I bump into a reasonable number of other riders. There’s always the same conversation though – “wow, I never usually see anyone else out on the black!”

thegreatape – Member
    Ta. If there’s one called Brown Trout we’ll have to include that at some point.

Nope, there’s no trail by that name at Glentress, sorry. Though there is one called Broon Troot, which may have been misheard by an uneducated ear. 🙂

I like the black but the fun it provides isn’t quite as obvious and in your face as the red’s. One of the reasons it’s not particularly black by comparison to other black-graded trails is that it predates the way the grading system is generally used these days. I think it was considered black partly on length and effort required, rather than purely on technical skill required.

Fat-boy-fat

I definitely like it. I love deliverance and soor plumz. Yeah, there’s quite a bit if climbing in there but I wouldn’t say any of it is really that bad. I’m a big fat biffer and I’ve never had a problem getting round.

helpful1
    Free Member

grading is great for noobs, geeks, climbers and skiers.

Ignore it and make your own mind up if you have even the slightest ability to manage independent thought.

Even the green is fun at GT.

BoardinBob

Finish the job and go right down to the ponds. I miss the big stupid X but building former ewok/ex XX into a single trail was a Good Idea, those 4 trails are more than the sum of the parts for sure

Yip, always throw in Super Steep at the end. A brilliant 4 section trail.

bigjim

Northwind what is the big stupid X you are talking about? I remember see-saws and stuff at ewok. Also why did they close off the new exit to broon troot? It was really nice but maybe that’s just because it was freshly cut loam when I rode it.

I’m not a huge fan of zorro, bit too straight for my liking after the couple of switchbacks at the top, you lose a lot of height for not much cornering fun #moanduro

BoardinBob

you lose a lot of height for not much cornering fun #moanduro

Do you do the two sections after Zorro? Immediately after Zorro spits you out on the fireroad, head up about 25 feet then cut left into lovely natural steep switchbacks. Drop onto the fireroad, slight up hill sprint then a sharp right at the corner into some proper natural old school xc stuff. Lovely.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Not sure what you guys are on about, GT black was a barrel of laughs in the wet. Parts of it felt like you were riding down streams.

Sure, it’s not the most memorable trail centre loop out there but I found it great fun in the poor weather that we had.

Northwind

bigjim – Member

Northwind what is the big stupid X you are talking about? I remember see-saws and stuff at ewok. Also why did they close off the new exit to broon troot? It was really nice but maybe that’s just because it was freshly cut loam when I rode it.

The Xs that gave XX its name, at the top. Sadly pretty much crumbled into dust.

The Broon Troot exit was an EWS-specific I think and had to be closed after the race, EWS have some funny ideas about our trails being their trails.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Glentress Black’ is closed to new replies.