Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Glentress
  • TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Slightly more worrying is that I was chatting to some lads at the top of Sheildgreen Kipps (who were on ‘big’ bikes and body armoured/full-faced up) who were under the impression that they were on a ‘Downhill’ route. They were not very happy.

They were less than impressed to discover that they had to climb even further up to the mast. Whoever told them that the GT black was a DH trail, and how on earth did they not spot the obvious flaw earlier?

IMO safety starts with informed decisions.

simonralli2
    Free Member

PPft – those Eastern types are so soft. Over here on the Western Stanes, we like to ride the DH at Ae on 25 year old bikes, no sus, jeans, no helmet!!!!

IMG_0031 by simon ralli, on Flickr

AlasdairMc

Look on the bright side – all the armoured up kids at Glentress keeps Innerleithen quiet, and I rate their red/black as far better than anything official at Glentress…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    coogan
    Free Member

Good point. Well put.

AntM
    Free Member

PPft – those Eastern types are so soft. Over here on the Western Stanes, we like to ride the DH at Ae on 25 year old bikes, no sus, jeans, no helmet!!!!

F++K ME! Did you follow him down to see if he survived or were you too scared of what you might find?!?

trailmoggy
    Free Member

i only wear knee/shin pads on my local which is rivi and qiute rocky in parts and just the soft knee pads at trail centres

but my mate wears a full facer everywere as hes always falling off

hels
    Free Member

Indeed as Mr McLennan says – if they are all at Spooky Woods at the weekend it keeps other places safe for civilians. I’m more worried about the Neds you sometimes see at the top of the black nae helmets and jeans and football tops.

Thats almost as bad as those people that ride the Southern Upland Way on ‘cross bikes leaving at 2.30 on the day the clocks went forward. Madness….

trailertrash

one of the nice things about bikes as a hobby is that it’s quite inclusive. Anyone can ride a bike and you can relate to someone else’s enthusiasm for the pastime regardless of whether you like their bike, or have much in common with the person outside of that. It’s grand.

It’s a bit odd seeing folk dressed in lots of protective gear when you are not, or none at all when you are, but a psychologist would have a field day with this reaction I am sure.

In sport and hobby situations (i.e. non-critical) I often find, in myself at least, that criticism of others comes more from my own insecurities and lack of confidence in my own decisions than anything else. And so I try not to do it 🙂

Plenty of room for everyone eh?

deertrackdoctor
    Free Member

folks give coagan a break FFS
    he was just posting what he observed
    i had a spin around the glen o’ Stress on sat for the first time in 8 months

i noted (even that short time) a huge increase in percentage of bikers way over biked IMHO

we judges the weather conditons at 10 and chose to wear shorts and t shirt we were verging on over heating by the time we got to the buzards nest where we met a large group of gents having fun.

the majority of them had full winter jacket and trousers covered from head to toe in the latest gear with pads and armour on top. latest poc helmet with very few vents. christ i was was sweating for them just looking at them.

so IMHO coogan posted a very valid observation which he was lambasted for.

mind you there more a more similair forum user to myself these days…………. and im a opinionated grumpy 30 something git !

i may be biased as i refer to armour and pads as ” fanny pads ”

trailertrash

There was an uplift on a Innerliethen this weekend, and there may have been some overflow of people with a more “downhill-orientated outlook” from there over the weekend 😀

Sanny
    Free Member

Coogan

How did you enjoy Secrets and Lies? Me and a mate rode it twice on Saturday before nipping onto the the trail fairy handcut stuff and the old straight line DH trail off the red. We were absolutly filty by the time we got back to the Hub. We saw very few folk once we headed off the main trails. The less ridden stuff is and always has been the best bit about riding down there.

Cheers

Sanny

Stu

Insert standard reply of stormtrooper on a bike:

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Nothing would surprise me at GT but they are getting out into the hills too. Passed 3 guys on Orange Alpines / Fives all armoured to the max riding up Glen Tilt a few weeks back. Fair enough they could have been en route to something technical but I did have a quiet chuckle

coogan
    Free Member

Sanny, was down Broon Troot (still my fav bit at GT), not been on Secrets and Lies in a while, I take it it’s clear now?

cynic-al
    Free Member

That’s a great film.

simonralli2
    Free Member

F++K ME! Did you follow him down to see if he survived or were you too scared of what you might find?!?

Heh – he made it down in one piece. Even I made it down and if I ever go back to Ae on a quiet day I may even attempt one or two of the jumps myself. It’s a downer as you always think the jumps are going to have huge gaps, but you get up to them and stop only to find you probably could have attempted one or two of them!

richmtb

The Glentress red is built to be ridden fast, it not particularly technical but on the hard surfaced main marked trails you can get up a fair amount of speed.

If you crash going fast it might hurt, a lot. Therefore knee leg armour along with your helmet isn’t a bad idea. If you find you crash a lot or like to push your limits then a full face and some arm armour is probably a good idea as well.

As for overbiked no such thing, seen plenty of bikes that are under-ridered though.

cynic-al
    Free Member

If you find you crash a lot or like to push your limits then a full face and some arm armour is probably a good idea as well.

What if you are just a mincer?

As for overbiked no such thing, seen plenty of bikes that are under-ridered though.

How on earth are the 2 any different?

Northwind

“coogan – Member

Sanny, was down Broon Troot (still my fav bit at GT), not been on Secrets and Lies in a while, I take it it’s clear now?”

Yup, it’s a bit like riding down a bowl of soup just now as you’d expect but all clear and riding.

richmtb

What if you are just a mincer?

Then good luck to you, whether someone is mincing in a pressure suit with a full-face on or mincing riding in a pair of jeans and a football top makes not a jot of difference to me. I’m just saying there are valid reasons why people would choose to wear body armour at a not massively technical trail centre.

imnotverygood

I’m just saying there are valid reasons why people would choose to wear body armour at a not massively technical trail centre.

& even if there aren’t valid reasons I just don’t understand why it should bother other people. Do some folk have such an inferiority complex that they have to try and put others down all the time? Leisure mountain biking is not a competitive sport. Who cares what other people wear. Get a life.

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Glentress’ is closed to new replies.