Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Glenlivet 18 all gone, what next?
  • andycs

Looks like it’s time for another single malt, the question is what can I buy that’s as good as the Glenlivet 18?

ton

best I had last week on the Hebrides were jura, and bruichladdich rocks.

both were gorgeous.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Bruichladdich Rocks is superb for the money. I’m just on with another Bruichladdich, ‘Peat Project’ that I brought back from Islay in June, lovely. Jura Superstition you can’t go wrong with I reckon.
    All a matter of taste though innit? Like, I hate cucumber, but lots of people love it.

I think my fave is Bunnahabhain 12 yr old, IMO it’s just what whisky should taste like.

andycs

Ah, should have said, can’t have another peaty one. Got a Lagavulin which I love but the wife hates, needs to be nearer the taste of the Glenlivet.

somafunk

Try a fettercairn or auchentoshan, both on offer in our local tescos so maybe in yours as well, as you mention near to the taste of a glenlivet then any speyside whisky will satisfy the tastebuds, if you want something special that is worth paying for then a Balvenie Doublewood, lovely caramel thick n’ bold flavour with a hint of sweet fruit, i’ve converted non-whisky drinkers with this nectar.

athgray
    Free Member

Balvenie Doublewood
    Highland Park 18 year old
    Caol Ila 18 year old
    For exotic whisky try Yamazaki or Bushmills.

shermer75
    Free Member

My long term fave:

Clynelish – no peatiness, just a really lovely (subtle!) hint of sea salt.

Similar flavour but more rarity points:

Inchgower

shortcut

Bowmore is worth a try and Rouyal Loch Nagar are a couple of my favourites.

Yay whiskytrackworld!!

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Bunnaharbhain

rickmeister

Does this help..

Whisky Periodic Table

messiah
    Free Member

Glenlivet 18 is a cracker and a tough act to follow. If you like the sherry finish Speyside style try Aberlour 16 or Glenfarclas 15 which are both fantastic, or spend a little more for an even older version of these two. Glenfarclas 21 is amazing and a bargain for you don’t see many 21’s for that price.

CaptainSlow

OP guessing that your “wife” prefers less peat n spices in favour of smoothness etc.

In which case don’t go for caol lla or highland park etc but head towards Jura original or monkeys shoulder. Bother those are flavoursome without being overly intense

beagle
    Free Member

I’ve been up on the highlands/islands recently. Took an unopened bottle of Benromach 10. Not much came back! It’s a speysider, finished in a sherry cask, from a pretty small distillery. Incredibly drinkable, reasonably priced and tastes pretty sophisticated for its age. Quite hard to find but booths are stocking it, or you’d get in on line for under/around £30.

Not my usual style of dram, but one ill be buying again for sure!

ton

just to add…….jura and bruichladdich rocks are not peaty.

and i dislike peaky tcp type stuff too…. 😀

CaptainSlow

I’m guessing benromach isn’t peaty too?

I’ll give bruichladdich a try 🙂

beagle
    Free Member

Bruichladdich is awesome. They are very good at their marketing though! Laddie ten was at ASDA recently for £20. Sold out in the four stores I visited though!

Yep. Benromach not peated.

RustySpanner

Thought the Fettercairn Fasque was a waste of cash.
    Bland & slightly unpleasant.

Trying the Auchentoshan Classic at the mo but underwhelmed, a bit insipid.

The Old Pulteney which is usually on sale at Tesco is genuinely lovely, very fresh tasting.
    Abelour and Highland park for me at the mo though. Seem to be the ones the rest of the family like too.

BigJohn

Dalwhinnie.

Easy drinking, but not bland. Bags of character.

andycs

Oooh, lots to consider there. Thanks for the advice, might have a bash at the Bruichladdich Rocks. Or maybe Balvennie, or both!!

hainman
    Free Member

Glenmoragie or Glenfidich…or Auchentoshan

Im the lucky owner of the section of 3 Royal salute Chivas regals,Emerald ruby and Sapphire…40th bday pressie,

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Dalwhinnie.

Easy drinking, but not bland. Bags of character.

I like different types of whiskey, but Dalwhinnie seems to get drunk the quickest 😀 Had a bottle of anCnoc for Xmas too, light and “easy drinking” like Dalwhinnie and also seemed to get finished in double-quick time.

http://www.ancnoc.com/#doc-ancnoc

peteimpreza

How does Monkey Shoulder compare to any of the above?

In particular the Jura’s?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Glenrothes ‘double cask’? can’t remeber the name, was pissed, but i was brushing me teeth with this last christmas through to about april, cheeky number.

tomd
    Free Member

+1 Bunnahabhain, sounds like it would be right up your street.

dan86
    Free Member

Dalmore Cigar reserve 😉 Balvenie doublewood is another nice one on the sherried side so your wife would probably like it! Have you ever shopped on loch fyne whiskies? they have a taste table , each bottle has its own reference to the table so you can roughly work out the style of each dram!

user-removed
    Free Member

Recently finished a bottle of Edradour cask strength. Most definitely a sipping whisky. I don’t usually add water these days but this one needed it. Very, very highly recommended. At the wedding I shot today, one of the guests was telling me about his job at the Scapa distillery. He made the whisky sound like liquid gold. Apparently very smooth, to the point of having no burn. Just for the other end of the scale.

NZCol

I picked up a bottle of Jura when I was back, the light one and it was delicious. And cheap.

CaptainSlow

peteimpreza – Member
    How does Monkey Shoulder compare to any of the above?

In particular the Jura’s?

POSTED 11 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

It’s a blend of 3 malts. Less honeyed, slightly fuller and fruitier is how I would describe it. If you like Jura original there is a very good chance you will like monkeys shoulder.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Glenlivet 18 all gone, what next?’ is closed to new replies.