Glazed disc brake pads. Recommend me some that wont

Home Forum Bike Forum Glazed disc brake pads. Recommend me some that wont

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Glazed disc brake pads. Recommend me some that wont
  • Premier Icon jam bo
    Subscriber

Sticky pistons?

Premier Icon guitarhero
    Subscriber

don’t think so because if I change the pads to ones that aren’t glazed the brake works fine.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

Sounds like more of a problem with equipment/use. As above sticky pistons any longer slow hills or not much clearance on the pads? Take a file to them and get them back working.

Premier Icon dogtiredandwired
    Subscriber

Resin pads are less susceptible to glazing than sintered ones IMHO. Though you sacrifice so e pad life, I’ve always found it a fair exchange.

Premier Icon guitarhero
    Subscriber

Not sure I understand your reply mikewsmith
    If I file them down a bit they work for a bit then gleze again after a while.

Premier Icon jam bo
    Subscriber

If the piston aren’t retracting then they might be dragging slightly. Does the disc spin freely through the caliper?

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

Do the pistons stick? Is the clearance bad? If your not dragging the brakes then something is causing you problems.

Premier Icon guitarhero
    Subscriber

wheel spins freely, and clearance and pistons look fine. I’ll have another check when I get out of uni later. I effectively have no back brake atm which is not ideal.
    Thanks for suggestions

legend

My missus appears to have leaky nipples.

To be more precise, new style XT (m785) also working more effectively as a horn than a brake. Went to replace the pads yesterday after exhausting all other ideas and found oily residue around both bleed nipples. The front one has never been touched, the back has been bled once. Both were tight, now very tight, so might be worth a quick check for something similar. I’ll be returning these ones under warranty if the leak doesn’t stop.

nikk

Yup, it isn’t glazing, it is contaminated pads.

Shimano brakes are notorious for it (search this forum). You can’t fix it, seals aren’t replaceable and contaminated pads with oil are not possible to clean.

The known fix is to buy some brake system that is not Shimano. Hopes are good.

Premier Icon guitarhero
    Subscriber

Again will check this, but pads don’t look contaminated. No signs of leaking oil

Premier Icon guitarhero
    Subscriber

Rear brake (new style deore) is more effective as a horn than a brake.
    It’s my commuter so I’m not dragging the brake but it happened with stock pads, and now Superstar kevlar pads.
    Why is this happening, and is there a type of pad, ie resin, sintered that is most resistant to glazing?

Premier Icon MSP
    Subscriber

Resin pads are less susceptible to glazing than sintered ones IMHO. Though you sacrifice so e pad life, I’ve always found it a fair exchange.

err NO! Sintered pads don’t glaze, it is the resin/organic ones that do. The problem with sintered pads can be that the metal helps transmit heat into the hydraulic fluid, which is only a problem if you haven’t bled your brakes for a couple of years.

legend

The known fix is to buy some brake system that is not Shimano. Hopes are good

lolz, the missus in question also says that there’s no **** way she’d ever buy another set of Hopes after the shite 4-pots she bought for her DH bike 18 months ago. At least the Shimano’s don’t just decide to come back to the bar whenever the feel like it

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

If it’s a new deore it’ll be in warranty surely? So the usual shimano bashing doesn’t make much sense.

Premier Icon scaredypants
    Subscriber

Any chance that oily road shite ® is on getting on them, given it’s a commuter ?

Premier Icon vincienup
    Subscriber

I’ve noticed a bashing trend with brake related topics especially…

Gotta say, since ‘everyone’ (ahem – present company excepted) knows Avids are crap and impossible to bleed, Shimanos explode as soon as you look at them and are never repairable and Hopes come with added random excitement, what’s good today? Anyone (except my brother) blown up any Formulas recently?

Op, something’s wrong. If they’re not sticking, you aren’t dragging a brake, they’re not excessively close to disc and not contaminated then this doesn’t really make sense.

Assuming no stuck pistons, brake dragging etc I’d be going with contamination you haven’t noticed. Use any aerosols on the bike? Does anyone else anywhere near it? If it’s parked at Uni could someone be blasting wd40 etc around near it?

Have you tried dosing your rotor with brake cleaner? If you haven’t used this before (Cheap at toolstation) it’s vicious and you don’t want to be indoors with it. Rotor off on newspaper is best, one side then the other. It flashes off but if you’re going this far handle the cleaned rotor with a bit of clean paper towel while picking it back up and refitting.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

vincienup – Member

Anyone (except my brother) blown up any Formulas recently?

My ’06 Oros are getting a bit tired 😉

Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

scaredypants wrote:

Any chance that oily road shite ® is on getting on them, given it’s a commuter ?

That.

My BB7s used to suffer a similar fate. I’d just take a detour to a big hill once every couple of weeks and make sure I got them really hot. They’d then be perfect and would gradually get noisy, less efficient until I repeated the process.

Premier Icon guitarhero
    Subscriber

Took the off-road option on way home this evening and splashed some puddle water on caliper, resulting in a return of some stopping power.
    Had a good look tonight and there’s no sign of a leak and pads don’t feel oily. Think I’ll purchase a new set of pads and see how they last
    Where’s cheapest for finned pads? Merlin don’t seem to be doing the 4 for £60 offer anymore

Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

Why do you want finned pads? You need to get the pads hot to stop this happening!

Premier Icon guitarhero
    Subscriber

Was going to get finned for my other bike and swap pads from there onto commuter. Pads on that bike get very hot indeed

legend

Unless you’re coming down the alps every day it wouldn’t be bothered about spending a load of extra cash on finned pads

nikk

You’d be mental spending £60 or whatever on fancy pads that will get wrecked the first time you use them on your current callipers.

The seals are gone, they spray a very fine mist of the mineral oil onto the rotors / pads. It is hard to notice, if at all, but it is enough the mess with them.

Skid Vicious wrote:

lolz, the missus in question also says that there’s no **** way she’d ever buy another set of Hopes after the shite 4-pots she bought for her DH bike 18 months ago. At least the Shimano’s don’t just decide to come back to the bar whenever the feel like it

In fact, they do.

I had both Shimano brakes totally fail on me within 30 minutes of each other one evening.

Hopes have been bombproof so far. Not sure what was wrong with your missus’, likely to be a setup problem IMHO.

legend

Not sure what was wrong with your missus’, likely to be a setup problem IMHO.

Well your opinion is way off, already been back to Hope under warranty – on return we got half a day out of the rear before it hit the bar again. Bleeding always fixes it, but only temporarily.

nikk

They are not complicated things. Either you are not bleeding it properly and there is air in the system, or something is FUBAR with a seal or hose.

I can understand how that would put you off. My problem with Shimano is I had multiple issues over a long period of time, that were only temporarily solved by having to replace entire parts of the system.

Ramsey Neil

I would have a look at the rotor . Deore rotors are supposed to be used only with organic pads , or so it says on them . They may well benefit from a good clean and roughing up a bit with some sandpaper .

legend

nikk – Member
    They are not complicated things. Either you are not bleeding it properly and there is air in the system, or something is FUBAR with a seal or hose.

No shit, but if I can’t find a leak and Hope can’t find a leak, and if I can’t make it better through bleeding and Hope can’t make it better through bleeding, what do you do?

My issue with Hope is that I’ve always had multiple issues over short periods of time. Gave up on them a long time ago, reckon this set is the first in 10 years for either of us – still gash.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Glazed disc brake pads. Recommend me some that wont’ is closed to new replies.