Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 148 total)
  • Glastonbury coverage thread
  • rmacattack
    Free Member

rmacattack
    Free Member

not getting the glasto buzz this year, which is a shame. normally have a bit of a get together with it on. but the sounds are just not doing it for me. guess it the move of the times and whats mainstream now.

Edric64
    Free Member

I live 3 miles away luckily the wind blew the noise away from us last night

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Barney never could sing. Doesn’t stop his flat, deadpan vocals working bizarrely well in the context of their music.

But he no longer manages evenly deadpan, and seems to change the phrasing so the lyrics don’t fit the music (like a bad karaoke reading from an autocue). Love their music but thought they sounded terrible. No stage presence either. Visuals looked good and I’m sure in the crowd with everyone singing along you’d not have heard much of Barney or noticed that Gillian just looked mildly irritated the whole time.

I think I’m yet to hear a good mixing, the sound seems all over the place on every set. Have the BBC screwed up here?

They don’t get their own mix – just what comes out of the desk. Sound is mixed for the the festival, big speakers, open air (or tent) – not for TV. This is my first ‘fallow year’ for at least 7 years and the sound *at* the festival is usually amazingly good almost everywhere – much better than most indoor gigs. There are flat patches at the extremes – not everywhere in front of the Pyramid sounds good and the shape of the Park field means if you’re too far back it drops off badly. Strong winds throw it out (and it’s not always been good — they tried some magic wind proof speakers in 2007 which were a disaster http://www.nme.com/news/the-killers/29633)

Went to Field Day in Victoria Park the other weekend and most of the stages sounded awful so there’s more to it than it just being open air. Muddy indistinct vocals in the tents. The main stage was better (John Grant sounded amazing) but James Blakes set had so much bass it was uncomfortable to listen to

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

On the music

Last Shadow Puppets sounded and looked good. Finding their stuff more interesting than Artic Monkeys.
    Tame Impala
    Mbongwana Star were a highlight (as they were at Field Day – but as above, the mix wasn’t great).
    Squeeze really surprised me. They’ve aged well, were enjoying themselves, great songs. I’d not have said I was a huge fan but that would have been a great start to the day on site.

Gutted not to have been there for Underworld (and LCD Soundsystem) – looked great.

DezB
    Free Member

Without Peter Hook, it isn’t New Order. Who cares what they sound like.

dallas95
    Free Member

Churches and Lumineers best for me so far but I haven’t watched it all. Liked the French woman too, Christine and the queens?

Adele headlining Glastonbury seems wrong to me. I don’t like her stuff but that’s not the basis for my comment. I just expect a global band to be on the pyramid on the Saturday night.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Great set from Christine and the Queens.

Big presence for une petite femme Francais.

Great voice, good electro sounds and I love the dancers.

mikey74
    Free Member

Adele headlining Glastonbury seems wrong to me. I don’t like her stuff but that’s not the basis for my comment. I just expect a global band to be on the pyramid on the Saturday night.

Plus, she has the charisma and showmanship of a cushion.

senorj

Beck on soon:-)

shadowrider
    Free Member

ELO smashing it

mikey74
    Free Member

Yeah, i’m rather enjoying them. Also, I know the bass player. Well, when I say I know him: He plays in a local covers band and I’ve seen them quite a few times, and spoken to him on a number of occasions. Nice chap.

I see him in Waitrose on a regular basis :mrgreen:

Speshpaul

ELO, outstanding production valves and a solid performance.
    Plus what a string section:-)

mikey74
    Free Member

Yes, the string section 😯

Rockape63
    Free Member

Grew up with ELO …love it!

deviant
    Free Member

Interesting, the other half and I were just commenting on how dull ELO are…no stage presence whatsoever.

But, yeah the string section are pleasing on the eye.

rmacattack
    Free Member

that prick headlining the pyramid again later 😕

beamers

Why does the ELO drummer have those perspex screens to his left and right?

Rockape63
    Free Member

Well I like Coldplay…do we know when they start?

beamers

Coldplay on at 2130 I think.

pacef8
    Free Member

The last thing you want is some drummer bashing away next to you. Plus he/she will not here what is coming back sound wise. Call it monitoring

beamers

Thought that’s what the screens might be for.

beamers

When and why did ELO become Jeff Lynne’S ELO? Is there another splinter ELO?

DrJ

ELO, outstanding production valves and a solid performance.
    Plus what a string section:-)

🙂

beamers

Coldplay coverage starts at 2100 on BBC 2.

frogstomp

I flicked past when ELO were on.. assumed it was Chas’n’Dave 😳 😆

sharkbait
    Free Member

that prick headlining the pyramid again later

Luckily there are many other channels that would love your company.

Personally I don’t think he’s much of a singer but the songs are good and last time they where there they put on a brilliant show – looking forward to it.

Stainypants

Loving it this year love Muse perfeck pick me up after such a shit day. I’d had about 3 hours sleep and still watched their entire set. Of course it overblown and pompous but it’s fun. I love Radio head but I know who I’d rather have seen in Friday.

New Order are fine without Hooky they sound better. Rolling Stones would have packed in 40 years ago if you could carry on without a founder member. The new album is the best since technique. I’ve seen Peter Hook three or for times recently he’s fine with the Joy Division stuff and early New order but he really struggled with the more recent stuff as it doesn’t suit his voice.

Really looking forward to LCD sound tonight

DezB
    Free Member

Well, there you go, 2 completely different views, Glastonbury obviously suits your taste, but not mine. Gave Music Complete 1 listen, was so boring I moved on to new stuff and I certainly wouldn’t go n see Hooky’s JD/NO tribute band live!

Anyway, I watched Squeeze do ‘Slap n Tickle’ earlier. Good song that. Not the same without Jools though 😉

colp

Richard Hawley was great.
    One of Jeff Lynne’s cellists was stunning!

Merak

Jo Wiley looks great for 60.

mikey74
    Free Member

Wow! I’d never have guessed she was 60. I had to google it 😯

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Never been to Glasto but yesterday’s pyramid line up was awesome – made me wish I’d been there.

mikey74
    Free Member

Is it me, or is there more than a passing similarity between Coldplay and Simple Minds?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Anyone seen any unfamiliar acts that tickled a spot? Shibusashirazu free-jazzed the **** out of me and I didn’t see that coming. Still smiling at that, if only for it feeling a billion miles from more miserable current events. **ART**

And a perfect ‘Mr Blue Sky’ in the pi$$ing rain? Deadpan Jeff is so ace it beggars belief.

I saw cellist first.

bruneep

Erm

Jo Whiley Born: July 4, 1965

mikey74
    Free Member

haha yeah, he had me confused there for a bit. Still looks good for 50, though.

barkm
    Free Member

not a coldplay fan at all, but loving this, great energy.

Merak

Coldplay can >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

All about LCD soundsystem on that red button.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

LCD Soundsystem for me. If you are watching Coldplay I can say now we’ll never really be true friends

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 148 total)

The topic ‘Glastonbury coverage thread’ is closed to new replies.