• This topic has 310 replies, 125 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by llama.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 311 total)
  • Glasto on the telly
  • Pigface
    Free Member

I am a bit underwhelmed by this years line up, Radiohead should be good

Who are you looking forward to

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

You can’t be that underwhelmed if your posting twice about it

DezB
    Free Member

Saturday’s a funny one innit – Run The Jewels, followed by Katy Perry and the hoary old stadium rock of Foo Fighter headlining.
    Radiohead are the only ones I’d watch on telly.

Why haven’t they got a Andy Williams/Engleburt Humperdink/Shirley Bassey headliner on the Sunday this year then?

Plus: The John Peel stage needs to change it’s name with the completely-non-John-Peel type crap that is most of what they have on there!

Pigface
    Free Member

Funky I made a right has of it , no idea how I managed that

sweepy
    Free Member

I’m just posting here to keep it near the top so no-one knows which one to open

SaxonRider

I am having such an existential crisis!

EDIT: Damn! My joke was just neutralised by the fact that the Mods got to the other thread before I could post exactly the same thing there.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Er, that was weird, the thread looked different last time I tried to post.

Run The Jewels, followed by Katy Perry and the hoary old stadium rock of Foo Fighter headlining.

All of which preceded by Craa-aa-aa-aa-aig David.

They’ve got the BeeGee on Sunday, doesn’t that count?

P-Jay
    Free Member

I don’t often watch it on the TV, but back when I used to go I tried to avoid only picking bands I was already a fan off, I’ve seen live Glasto performances by bands I love that were terrible – Happy Mondays and performances by bands/acts I actively hated, they were, begrudgingly brilliant – I’m looking at you R. Williams.

P-Jay
    Free Member

the BeeGee

Shouldn’t laugh, but…

DezB
    Free Member

begrudgingly brilliant – I’m looking at you R. Williams.

Is that other “Glasgown” thread still open? I’m going there after that name has been smeared across this one like the shite of an old grandad as he wheezes up off his chair in the old folks home.
    Was gonna say some stuff about the bands I’ve seen live on the bill, quite a few of em, but I can’t bring myself to do it cos my stomach feels all wrong.

bikebouy
    Free Member

You are too old for Glastonbury, accept that and relax.

Radiohead and a FooFighter ? Isn’t that just a bit 90’s…

I guess, and it is a guess, that the team who line up the acts have ran out of talent.

DezB
    Free Member

You are too old for Glastonbury

Do what?

Too old for Chic? Kris Kristofferson? Craig David? Paul Carrack? Jools **** Holland? Barry Gibb? The Pretenders??) WTF are you on about?
    [edit]The Jacksons??!

(And quit with the Foo Fighter! I have dodgy keyboard!)

kerley
    Free Member

I guess, and it is a guess, that the team who line up the acts have ran out of talent.

Probably more a case of who will brings in the crowds?

Was Glastonbury in 1970s full of aging bands from the 1950’s.
    Was the audience in the 1970’s made up of middle aged people

Changed, hasn’t it…

P-Jay
    Free Member

DezB – Member

begrudgingly brilliant – I’m looking at you R. Williams.

Is that other “Glasgown” thread still open? I’m going there after that name has been smeared across this one like the shite of an old grandad as he wheezes up off his chair in the old folks home.
    Was gonna say some stuff about the bands I’ve seen live on the bill, quite a few of em, but I can’t bring myself to do it cos my stomach feels all wrong.

I felt dirty typing it – but truthfully, I was there in 1998, that’s how old I am.

Disclaimer: When we went My Mate’s Dad used to pitch up days in advance at the side on the path at the back of the Pyramid Stage Field selling teas and coffees and we pitched behind him, so we didn’t actually have to stand up to see the main stage, so I didn’t actually go to see him, he came to us.

Anyway, ’98 was one of the biggest ever events because it was one of the last years before ‘the big wall’ which also coincided with me not going anymore, make of that what you will…

200k people that year, at a guess – and possibly the worse weather wise, I’d gone the year before too which was wetter, but ’98 was bad because it was really, really wet until the Saturday morning, then brighten up a bit, which meant you still couldn’t sit down anywhere, but you couldn’t exactly walk either because it was like marching through treacle – despite this it was the largest crowd I’ve ever seen at Glastonbury – usually the crowed petered out and stopped about 20m before us, but before he came on the crowd passed our tents and people were struggling to get into the field.

It’s probably fair to say that more people were there to either boo or at least for the spectacle than came to see him per-se – because at the time it was a far bigger deal to festival goers than Jay-Z playing 10 years later – or Tom Jones 6 years earlier, I’ve read, years after the event that the crowd was due to the act who came on before him, but that’s not true, or 100k people were very late.

The atmosphere was very tense before he came on, rowdier than usual, even by Glasto standards, and I don’t remember it starting well – but as much as we might hate the song and the singer and it’s very, very cheesy – he sang ‘Angels’ and 200k people joined in at the top of their lungs, or at least they did from my angle.

I didn’t turn me into a Robbie fan, I had fond memories for the song for about a week afterwards, until I heard it for the millionth time on the Radio, but it is one of my personal Glastonbury highlights – along with David Bowie a year or so later, and running through the air the R.E.M. That’s not a metaphor, after walking the ‘small wall’ for miles and miles trying to work out how to get in, we found a disguarded farmers gate, used it as a ladder and scaled the wall, I sat on top of the wall listening to R.E.M. playing for about 30 seconds, until my mates screamed that the security guards were coming for us in land rovers, I jumped off and was so scared I started running before I hit the ground, I’m not sure if it helped my take-off, but I out-paced a Security Guard in full flight and jumped the next fence (think building site fence) without seemingly slowing down, or even jumping – I was, how you say – quite high the time though.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I don’t think you can be too old for Glastonbury, I’m too old to spend 4-5 days in a drug induced haze sleeping in my wet clothes and eating nothing but greasy hotdogs and drinking warm cider, but you don’t have to do that.

I’m told it an awful lot more civilised these days, pre-big wall is was like the Wild West, they had room, police and security for 100k people, because that’s how many tickets they sold, in 2000 there were 250k people there.

But lots of people camp somewhere nice and quiet-ish, stroll down to see the acts they want to see, take in the festival, go back to their tents and sleep. They probably remember a lot more of it than I do.

johndoh
    Free Member

But lots of people camp somewhere nice and quiet-ish, stroll down to see the acts they want to see, take in the festival, go back to their tents and sleep.

Yeah that is how I see it now – I camp a good 15 minutes from the stages (right by exits normally) so on a night it is quiet, there is space and I can nip out to the much nicer Portaloos outside.

And these days the choice (and quality) of food is really very good. Last time I was there (2015) I had a full English breakfast with coffee for £5 – the stall was set up by the farmer and most of the produce was from their land or locally-sourced. The bacon was superb and the coffee even better.

Gutted I had to return my ticket last year (double-booked) and didn’t manage to get tickets this year.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ok, Go.. walk out that door, don’t turn around now.. cos’ Glasto’ll make you that bore….

We must have done this topic zillions of times and each time it boils down to:
    Take cash
    Take drugs
    Take bog roll
    Don’t freak when your tents pummelled by a 16yr old mob fighting over cheese
    Don’t peek at young girls pants when they’re comatose in the sunshine
    Take wellies
    Take a clear plastic packamac
    Expect to be covered in warm piss cider
    Expect to be covered in piss
    Pretend you are N’nnnn nineteen, nnnn’n nineteen
    Expect to be hugged by Ed Milliband, Chris Grayling, Das Maybots nieces, BloJos great Aunt
    Take jonnies
    Take clingfilm
    Expect to vomit, in other people’s vomit, to be vomited upon
    Take your dayglo wrist strap off as soon as you leave the exit
    Expect to Dad dance to Bands no older than your youngest nephew

There’s more, but for now enjoy the traffic queue out of London on the M4… daaaaahrhlinks.

😆

seosamh77
    Free Member

P-Jay – Member

98 was class(despite the weather, youthful exuberance saw me through it though, wednesday to monday!!), wasn’t anywhere near robbie williams though. 😆 was my first festival.

My top highlights that year, having a wee look back at the lineup, would be, ian brown, faithless, roni size/reprazent, and gomez. think i seen about 30 bands that weekend though, made me love festivals! 🙂

99 was scorchio, complete opposite!

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Download 2017 highlights on Sky Arts tomorrow at 9pm. Just in case it all gets a bit limp and Hunters Wellies……

cardo

@P-Jay… 1998 was my first Glasto and your post made me smile … was amazing but damn wild and slightly out of control.. it was ace !!!
    You are never too old it’s the pace that changes.

wordnumb
    Free Member

When’s Napalm Death on?

P-Jay
    Free Member

@cardo we may have passed each other whilst we were there ha ha.

I went 97, 98, 99 and 2000.

2000 was probably the best for me, I eased back on the chemicals (a bit ha ha) and actually enjoyed the festival for what it was a bit more, the weather was mint and I stayed for 5 whole days.

On top of that I’d walked out of a job I hated a few days before and I was heading off to Australia back-backing 48 hours after I got home. I don’t think I’ve ever been as care-free as that weekend, I doubt I’ll ever be again.

I’d love to go again, but I only feel like going when it’s on, not 6 months before when you have to apply – it’s about £150 a ticket these days isn’t it?

cardo

@P-Jay… yep might well have sat mesmerised by bongo drums and other stuff in the stone circle together…
    Visited Glasto.. 98, 99, 00, 02,03, 2010 &13 despite it becoming safer and more gentrified in the later years it’s still one hell of an experience , really like the smaller areas like Area 9 and the Park stage and when it all gets a bit much to chill out in the sacred space with the Bongos and fire twirling… the problem nowadays is getting a ticket..

matt10214
    Free Member

I went in ’99 and 2000, both brilliant from what I can remember.

Got in with a dodgy hand stamp for £10 in 99 and over the fence in 2000.

Happy, carefree days! 😀

slowbloke
    Free Member

If they show the Hacienda Classical set that would be worth a watch. There were a few “surprise guests”. Watching Bez pulling faces whilst grinding up against Rozalla as she tried to sing everybody’s free was comedy gold. There was an amazing atmosphere there!

The Orb were also very good last night but Napalm Death were a bit meh. I’m looking forward to A Guy Called Gerald and Stanton Warriors later.

VanHalen

the dead kennedys are playing. there will likely be no coverage of this though mores the pity. still it has to be worth actually going for some stuff i suppose.

i quite like to see ho9909 as well.

cant be bothered with the main headliners – they are all shit.

stanton warriors will probably be fantasic.

donks
    Free Member

Ride look like one of the best bands on this year. They will be on in just over an hour.

Caher

mainly the 90’s stuff, at least that is when i went.

CountZero

I guess, and it is a guess, that the team who line up the acts have ran out of talent

Well, it’s been mentioned plenty of times, by quite a few people in music media, that really big festivals are struggling to fill top spots because there are no big new acts with the status to fill those headline slots. Florence and the Machine just about managed after the Foos had to bale, but I really don’t think she was a Glastonbury headline.
    Festival headliners generally are acts that have been around for years, have genuine crowd-pleasing quality honed from years of playing the circuit and building up a following: some cookie-cutter act with a million hits on Instagram, ten million streams on Spotify and Radio One making a fuss is not headline material!

Van Halen – Member
    cant be bothered with the main headliners – they are all shit.

Oh, the ironing!
    Honestly, calling yourself Van Halen, and saying Radiohead and the Foos are shit? Or are you attempting to be ironic?
    I’d love to see Radiohead and the Foos, but Goldfrapp, Laura Marling, Lorde, Royal Blood, Sleaford Mods, DJ Shadow, Martha Wainwright and Lisa Hannigan are all artists I’d be keen to see, but I’m seeing Goldfrapp in London, Sleaford Mods at Greenman, I saw Laura Marling not long ago, and at Greenman, out of the entire weekend there is only one act that I’ve seen before, and that’s PJ Harvey!
    And I don’t have to hike for miles to get to the different venues, either.

bikebouy
    Free Member

“Like, no-body darrrrhlinks goes for the music”

Do they ?

Ed, said.

(He did, on R2 this morning whilst being interviewed by Chris Evs)

colournoise

donks – Member
    Ride look like one of the best bands on this year. They will be on in just over an hour.

To my old shoegazing ears they’re sounding pretty good.

slowoldman

Well I enjoyed The Pretenders. I wanted to see Manchester Camerata open the Pyramid Stage but being at work that didn’t happen. Can’t find anything online. Any linky anyone?

bikebouy
    Free Member

BBC 4 ? There’s a whole load of stuff on tonight.

tails
    Free Member

Has kris Kristofferson always sounded like this?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yes, erm No.

But he is kinda old now.

Mr Depp stole the show, for the five mins he was on.

RichPenny
    Free Member

The XX were great. Also really enjoyed Kate Tempest.

bikebouy
    Free Member

There are only Two Blokes in Royal Blood. Make helluva racket don’t they.

gowerboy

Pigface, is that you with the shades on singing?

Oh no, sorry it’s elbow.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Aren’t elbow dreadful?

And which brainiack put Royal Blood on in daylight hours..?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 311 total)

The topic ‘Glasto on the telly’ is closed to new replies.