Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • (Glasses) Which of these tints is best for driving and riding – grey or brown?
  • hora
    Free Member

Also- which looks 8) ‘best’ grey or brown?

I thought grey would be better? For light etc whilst riding and driving? Also in over-cast clouds grey would be better?

thehustler
    Free Member

Actually for low light the brown would work better as it has what is known as a ‘blue blocker’ effect which will actually accentuate greens and reds (’tis why driving/shooting glasses tent to have a yellow tint it has the same effect)

I also think the brown lens looks better in the frame 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Could go lighter on the tints if it helps (lighter brown or lighter grey but then it’d look ‘weird’? Other choices are yellow.

thehustler
    Free Member

Yellow is the tint of choice for professional drivers/pilots shooters etc for the reasons stated above so for pure function yellow works best as to style thats a personal choice

funkrodent

I’ve found that when riding in sunny conditions in the shade and dappled shade the grey works better as the brown filter makes it harder to distinguish differences in terrain, particularly when it’s muddy. In direct sunlight the brown for sure and, as mentioned above, even a strong yellow tint.

No idea about fashion, but for sure the browny/yellow tint makes the world look a nicer and brighter place, whereas a strong grey/blue makes the world look dull and monochromatic even on a bright day!

hora
    Free Member

Fashion-wise (what next a Banshee?) I quite like the grey but if it makes it depressing..well!

I can also go transition lens on the grey or brown lens which will make it clear(er) in overcast/woods. Still go for brown?

iainc

brown or yellow. Remember that the hustler is an optician so knows his stuff better than the rest of us !

thehustler
    Free Member

Carefull on the transition if you want to use it for driving, in general they dont work in cars (windscreen has a uv filter in it) however there is a version that does work (aprox half as dark as in direct light) but this is only available as a grey lens

Remember that the hustler is an optician so knows his stuff

Thats not me thats the wife, I just do all the tech stuff with lenses etc

hora
    Free Member

Carefull on the transition if you want to use it for driving

Well I’ve got a new prescription so need to change my glasses. transitions would be a ‘catch all’ as I use the same glasses for everything usually (driving and riding). Drivings the most important so if the grey transition would work best (if its the right grey Transitions).. Seeing as I drive more than I ride and summer is only so long.

Edit- ah see what you mean with the windscreen UV interacting with the Transitions (will check).

I like the grey lens – most of the time it’ll be clear I guess. when out riding the one annoying thing (overall) is ‘glare’- sudden bright light changes.

The good thing about Transitions is I’ll get 360 days use out of them. The last glasses I ordered (very flimsy plastic/rimless)- I got two pairs. I’ve not even worn the second pair once 😯 even after face planting in the first pair.

thehustler
    Free Member

For glare getting an MAR coating on your lenses will help

hora
    Free Member

On my most recent glasses (just checked) – I was tight/didn’t include anti-glare. Will include this time..

marcus7
    Free Member

“Remember that the hustler is an optician so knows his stuff “, not been on STW long have you? Google fu trumps all knowledge (direct or indirect) on this place…. show me the pie charts to prove your statement hustler…. SHOW MEEEE 😆

hora
    Free Member

I think yellow on anything but trails would make me look like an American gun-nutjob. Grey it is. I have grey hair anyway 8)

cheers ears.

richmtb

I wear brown lens for driving with not too strong a tint. Knock back the glare and enhances contrast. Polarised is very useful for driving too

thehustler
    Free Member

[/quote]Google fu trumps all knowledge (direct or indirect) on this place…. show me the pie charts to prove your statement hustler…. SHOW MEEEE

Not quite a pie chart but this should cover it

Sport Sunglass Lens Tint Guide

Colors Uses

yellow lenses and orange lenses

Yellow or orange Heightens contrast in overcast, hazy, low-light conditions outdoors or for indoor sports. Filters blue light for sharper focus.

Sports: cycling, hunting, shooting, skiing, snowboarding, snowmobiling, indoor basketball, handball, racquetball, tennis.

amber lenses, rose lenses and red lenses

Amber, rose or red Heightens contrast in partly cloudy and sunny conditions, but causes significant color imbalances.

Sports: cycling, fishing (amber lenses for sandy lake or stream beds), hunting, shooting, skiing, snowboarding, snowmobiling, water sports.

dark amber lenses, copper lenses and brown lenses

Dark amber, copper or brown (Includes melanin lenses.) Blocks high amounts of blue light to heighten contrast and visual acuity. Particularly useful to improve contrast on grass and against blue skies.

Sports: baseball, cycling, fishing (especially in waters with grassy bottoms), golf, hunting, skiing, water sports.

green lenses

Green Heightens contrast (mildly) while preserving color balance.

Sports: baseball, golf.

gray lenses

Gray Reduces overall brightness while preserving 100 percent normal color recognition.

Sports: all outdoor sports in bright light conditions.

CountZero

I much prefer brown lenses to grey or green, and I have many, (too many, perhaps) pairs of sunglasses of different makes to be able to compare. The best brown lens is the RayBan brown, but any brown generally much improves contrast.
    My prescription glasses use a pair of RayBan Lennon frames from eBay, with Chamir multipoint varifocals, MAR coating, and DriveWear tint, which is a greenish colour indoors, but turns a coppery-brown outdoors, and they also darken behind a windscreen.
    They’re technically a bit dark for night driving, but I get on perfectly well with them, and are worn all through the week, changing to contacts at the weekend.

jkomo

Brown
    Better contrast, so colours stand out, obstacles in the track are more easily distinguishable also, everything looks nicer.
    Brown for both.

hora
    Free Member

So brown or greys good. More rocky than grass against sky trails round these parts.

Saying that might order both incase one is mislaid 8)

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I had grey and hated them – I couldn’t make out the edges of anything. Brown is much better (for me).

CountZero

I have an old pair of Oakley WHY8 frames, that due to a bit of a mix-up in ordering, I was given free with Rx Oakley Transitions lenses. I hadn’t worn them for ages, the prescription being no longer effective, and I rather wanted to use them as sunglasses.
    I happened to find a company called sunglassfix.com.au, who do a huge range of replacement lenses for lots of different makes, and ordered a pair of brown lenses for £26.07.
    They’re fantastic, quite dark, but the perfect balance between being colour neutral, and improving contrast. Much better than grey, in my opinion.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘(Glasses) Which of these tints is best for driving and riding – grey or brown?’ is closed to new replies.