Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • glasses – photochromic or polarised
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

Need to buy some new riding glasses after losing mine last week. I’ve had some good photochromic ones for about 5 years which have been great, but I’m wondering if polarised might be better for spotting features on a trail

Anyone tried both on the trail and has some thoughts?

chudsy
    Free Member

I’ve had both and prefer photochromic, especially if you’re going in and out of shade. I don’t get on with the polarised pair, and my “Go to” pair are standard Oakley’s

Rubber_Buccaneer

Polarised can reduce reflections but I have never found it an advantage for cycling. I vote photochromatic.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Standard Oakley photochromic or just standard lens?

jimjam
    Free Member

Polarised reduce glare bounced from a horizontal plane, ie the dash of a car, a lake, golf course etc. Doubt they’d be much use for trails. Standard oakley with a light tint, persimmon or similar will be excellent for riding.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Just having a look at their website – anyone know anything about the “Prizm” range – their marketing gumpf makes them look amazing! 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Polarised can reduce reflections but I have never found it an advantage for cycling. I vote photochromatic.

He’s right you know!

That said, my current lens du choix is the stalwart VR28. A truly brilliant all rounder.

I find photochromatic more of an advantage in winter, when you’re more likely to have changeable light conditions.

One other word of warning about photochromatic, there are rare occasions where you go from full bright sunlight at speed in to dark, forbidding woods…! (A few spots at CYB spring to mind) Photochromatic lenses sometimes aren’t exactly quick enough, and seeing as my main pair of those is Persimmon to Black Iridium, that latter’s darker than a dark thing when you hit the woods. And, you never know what’s in those woods, now do you?

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Good points, my old Spesh Photochromic lenses did change really quickly – gutted I’ve lost them but I have been thinking about changing them for a while now.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘glasses – photochromic or polarised’ is closed to new replies.