Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Glass greenhouse- dissembly (how to)
  • hora
    Free Member

Has anyone done this? How did you go about it. I was planning on a common sense approach – dissemble from the top down but then I thought ‘why not wrap a huge rope around the middle section, attach to car towbar and gently pull until it collapses in on itself, then (big gloves), shovel- shovel into big strong bags (which ones?) then load into the back of a transit to take to the tip.

Good idea?

soma_rich
    Free Member

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Join your local Freecycle group, offer it for disassembly by collector only.

It will be gone by the weekend and you have to do almost nothing (unless it is utterly knackered of course then no-one would want it).

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    davidrussell
    Free Member

try and sell it? buyer collects and dismantles 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

Good idea?

No.

motivforz
    Free Member

Instead of a car use a bike. I suggest a fatbike for added traction and radness.

wwaswas

take the glass out a pane at a time – the clips come off easily and it’s a lot easier to deal with if you keep it as sheets rather than shards.

the alloy structure might be worth a few quid at a scrap merchants too?

or, as above, freecycle it.

hora
    Free Member

Its utterly ****. The frame (all wooden) is shot. I want it down/gone before the lad wants to run around the back garden.

take the glass out a pane at a time – the clips come off easily

I’ll double-check but I’m sure when I looked most of it is sort of bonded into the frame.

Markie
    Free Member

+1 for Freecycle.

Guy came and took ours down and away in an afternoon. I’d made clear I wanted none of it left (no glass, odd bits of metal, whatever) and that was that… he was pleased, I was pleased, ace!

Edited after seeing your post above… deal with it using the car as per your first post. Video it.

crankboy
    Free Member

assuming it’s yours and you are not vandalising a neighbours garden the sensible pane by pane top first sides last approach will be quicker and easier. It will also have two bonuses , you won’t have a garden full of broken glass shards and you can sell / free cycle the greenhouse. lots of the free-cycle ads insist on the recipient being responsible for dismantling but you then run the risk of them making a hash of it and sodding off leaving you with a tangle of metal and broken glass.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Its utterly ****. The frame (all wooden) is shot. I want it down/gone before the lad wants to run around the back garden.

Well you don’t want to be ripping it down and leaving broken glass everywhere then!

Seriously – try Freecycle first – be honest in the description and see if you get a taker.

hora
    Free Member

Blimey. That’d be a turn up if it actually pulled interest. Pity. If it had been kept treated etc its a beautiful thing. The old owner (dead) also plumbed* in mains electricity for a double socket and lighting.

*Sparky to remove all this back to the mains box of course.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Before Christmas I took the most knackered old drop leaf table – I needed extra space for Christmas Day – it was utterly disgusting and falling apart but it did a job.

Stuck it back on Freecycle the day after Boxing Day and someone came to collect it within hours – it is amazing (what you might consider to be old tat) will be snapped up.

I am sure there will be loads of allotment owners baying for that kind of greenhouse.

rocketman
    Free Member

If you seriously don’t want to use any part of it ever again, do what I did and give your teenage son and a couple of his mates some rubber mallets and safety specs and tell them to break it.

I guarantee it will be reduced to a pile of very, very small pieces in less than 10 minutes. Pizza and cola all round and they will ask you if you need anything else doing.

molgrips
    Free Member

Worked when I was a kid.

I second the freecycle idea though. You would be absoutely stunned at the shite people will come and collect from you.

RustyMac

The old owner (dead) also plumbed* in mains electricity for a double socket and lighting.

*Sparky to remove all this back to the mains box of course.

Would it not make more sense to convert this to a single outside socket? could be very useful in the future.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

The old owner (dead) also plumbed* in mains electricity for a double socket and lighting.

Did he also wire up a water supply 🙂

slowrider
    Free Member

Stand inside it and get Elfin to throw rocks at it I reckon. I’m sure he would find it very therapeutic! (I would)

coffeeking
    Free Member

Cleanup of glass is an absolute nightmare, the recent winds up here took out two panes from my greenhouse (god knows how it wasn’t more!) and they’ve littered the garden with shards – if I had kids I’d be concerned about letting them out there without first scouring the place on my hands and knees.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Glass greenhouse- dissembly (how to)’ is closed to new replies.