Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 113 total)
  • Glasgow riders – any news on Cathkin progress over last month ?
  • iainc

I was there about 5 or 6 weeks ago and most of the CommonWealth trail was cut, but not much of it stoned up. Wondering if anyone knows how there are getting on with it ? I was at the open day in the summer when they reckoned it would all be finished late this year.

Thanks

arrpee
    Free Member

On a related topic, anyone venturing up for a look should consider bringing a mate along. There’s been a spate of muggings there lately; seemingly a couple of stabby types relieving dog-walkers of cash and smart phones.

iainc

arrpee – that’s kinda worrying – I was there on a Sat with my 9yr old son and we saw a few shifty characters but no hassles. I rode the old trails a bit in the past, but always in decent sized groups given the location and Castlemilk next door.

Have there been any press reports on the muggings ? Was thinking about taking the kids this weekend if the trails have progressed well, but now not so sure… 😥

arrpee
    Free Member

Linky:

http://www.strathclyde.police.uk/whats_happening/news/2012/september/robberies_rutherglen/

As you say, it’s often a bit dodgy up there, but usually it’s the comparatively benign pursuits of cruising and dogging you tend to happen across. Gets them out in the fresh air, I suppose…

enduro-aid
    Free Member

progress on the actual build is going well and yes the trail should be finished by the end of the year (weather permitting) it may run into janruary depending on contractors holidays etc

the progress at the start was very quick as the contractor had a lot of spare men around so at time there were 40 staff on site but as work has picked up elsewhere numbers have dropped a bit so progress has slowed a bit….the trail itself is fully cut but as you have said lots of stone work and features to be build still as well as air – axe work to expose bedrock

iainc

enduro-aid – thanks for this – are you involved in the build ?

enduro-aid
    Free Member

not directly but i work for the city council in the civil engineering department and work with the bloke incharge of the build / design so have a bit of an inside view and have been up a few times on vists / inspections etc

also just being a keen bike user ive been asking questions of him a lot haha

Johnbot
    Free Member

Been up there a few times myself, it’s my local run when it’s dry enough. Got to say i’m impressed with the design, it doesn’t look to “olympic” depending on what they finish it with it could be quite good. Some nice use of elevation for descents etc. Quite a lot has had the first fill of heavy stone. Hard to ride on. So not really worth the trip, and they are keeping out the way of some of the decent other stuff.

Quite concerned about the muggings, hope they don’t increase as it gains popularity. Generally give people a wide berth up there as a rule. Gays, motocross boys, neds and excitable dogs.

iainc

Cheers Enduro. Yep local for me too but will be cautious !

stevewhyte
    Free Member

I wouldn’t want to ride about there without a few mates. Too many nuggets who would rather take than earn.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Typical. Of all the places that Scotland could have used to showcase the amazing biking we have, and we build a wee trail right next to one of the biggest shoiteholes in the bloody country. Another opportunity missed.

theblackmount
    Free Member

>Another opportunity missed.<

Or another opportunity seized – depending on your perspective…

Where in Glasgow would you have built it – Bearsden?

mrplow
    Free Member

In 2 minds on this one. Trying to regenerate somewhere etc is usually a good thing. The problem is I would not ever wish to ride there alone and probably would not ride there with friends as I know the area and you are too exposed. Riding a mtb that is regarded as an expensive item even when it is not could put you at risk. The track may also struggle with boys on scramblers ripping it up etc. Tough call but I think wrong call and the site was probably chosen for the least amount of red tape to the council as the place is a 5hithole. Sorry, but true imo.

theblackmount
    Free Member

I really don’t think GC were worrying too much about whether the STW demographic were going to use the facility when they chose it. Hopefully they have a little more vision and are focused more on what it can become as opposed to what it may be now.

mrplow
    Free Member

What can it become?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Where in Glasgow would you have built it – Bearsden?

Why would it have to be in Glasgow?. Was the Olympics course in greater London? No, it wasn’t.

Off the top of my head, I’d say Whitelee forest or Muirsheil over by Lochwinnoch. Both good transport links, and in the West of Scotland, an area with no trail centres. And the chances of them having knife weilding fuckwits is significantly less than at Cathkin.

I really don’t think GC were worrying too much about whether the STW demographic were going to use the facility when they chose it. Hopefully they have a little more vision and are focused more on what it can become as opposed to what it may be now.

It’s exactly people like us that have a valid opinion that should be taken into consideration. Glasgow Council? Vision? mwahhaahhaa!.

Sanny
    Free Member

Hmmm. So GCC should have built a mountain bike trail in East Renfrewshire or East Dunbartonshire? Seriously? 😆

For those complaining about where it should have gone and worrying about crime, why not wait until it is finished and go and give it a go for yourself? I’ve ridden up there prior to the construction work starting and I can’t say that I felt in any way threatened or intimidated. If not Cathkin then where else in Glasgow (remember, these are being built for the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow) would you put it? The site has a great vertical drop, views across the city and the underlying geology is proving to be great to build on.

While you may not like the site, Glasgow should be applauded for building a site in a regeneration area and actively bringing what has the makings of a great facility to as wide a population as possible. In the same way that the Velodrome is located in the east end in a regeneration area, Glasgow is delivering on it’s promise of legacy even before the Games take place in two years time.

If you don’t like it, you don’t have to use it. It’s another facility to use so surely that’s no bad thing?

ittaika
    Free Member

sadly, i reckon nobeer is right. the motorcross and ned factor is a serious issue. other trail centres are far enough away from certain parts of society that the risk of mugging etc is lowered. tough one though. maybe they could have built the commonwealth course in mugdock or used the money to finally complete carron valley…

ittaika
    Free Member

some good points as well there Sanny – I was forgetting that GCC don’t run East Renfrewshire or Dunbartonshire – 😳

but surely it would have been better to use this money to build proper bike paths and lanes around Glasgow so that folks can get safely around the city rather than blowing a lot of money on what are really little more than a couple of playgrounds aimed at a minority?

theblackmount
    Free Member

Sanny +1

>Vision? mwahhaahhaa!.<

And your narrow minded vision / utopia is to build things where there’s no bad people?

FWIW FCS offered the CGC not Whitelees but………………..Glentress! Clearly of the same mindset as yourself.

althepal

CGC?
    I’ve ridden up there a few times (daytime and at night) and it does have some great potential, the plus points noted above are true. But then so are the downsides..
    If its going to be a mini trail centre after the games it’s going to need round the clock patrols.
    When I was up there I saw plenty of folks sitting about in the woods drinking- plus all the other stuff that prob goes on. It didnt bother me, but I’m sure there will be a ton of folk put off by it. Plus the comments about quads and scramblers is very valid- the place will get torn up rapid style unless there’s security onside 24/7.

stevie750

There is nothin wrong with cathkin been there several times for both work and bike riding, seen neds but never had any issues.

I think the only event that is taking place outside Glasgow is teh diving that is happening in the edinburgh commonwealth pool

mrplow
    Free Member

Sanny, I admit it is easy to snipe etc than bring something positive. 🙁

Unfortuantely I cannot see what a pro level course can grow to be in such an area when the demographic of mountainbikers using a challenging hilly courses is people spending over £800 on their equipment and not wanting mugged. Even dulled down for noobs the hills will put them off off pretty fast on a relatively small intensive loop. I doubt it shall maintain the numbers required to justify proper maintenance such as the seven stanes due to it’s location and proximity to a high amount of potential trouble. This on top of the fact the kids on MX bikes are going to wreck it. Come xmas and the locals see the track and mx bikes will be at the top of all their wish lists – not mtbs.

I have walked dogs there and everytime have felt threatened by drinking groups of youths or people on mx bikes. I would not be taking my bike there or leaving my car out of sight.

iainc

Glad to see my thread getting the conversation going, that’s what it’s all about. 😀

People have been riding there for ages, as Sanny says – we have done some GMBC and some Walker Cycles club rides there. We have never had any hassles, but rides have generally been with biggish numbers and in poorish weather. the new trails are much further east than the old ones, so don’t drop down towards the main Castlemilk Road like they used to, so not quite so handy ambush points !

There has been a lot of time and effort put into the trails and when i was there a few weeks ago I was really impressed with how they are shaping up :

[img]https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/564678_371029539634627_394666609_n.jpg[/img]

I do share all the concerns about the trails getting ripped up, and the safety issue is a real one for me, as it is a very handy place to ride with the kids as only 10 min drive from home. I don’t know how it will pan out – hopefully if we can find safe and regular ways to ride it then the place wil become established for the right reasons

Sanny
    Free Member

On a related issue, I was at the Velodrome on Tuesday (look out for a piece on the front page) for the press launch and I have to tell you, it’s frikkin awesome! I reckon folk will be genuinely blown away by the facilities that have been built and which can be used from this weekend onwards! 😀 😀 😀

iainc

even some log features 😆

althepal

Jeezo- that looks pretty good! Might need to have another wee ride up there soon!
    Looks good. But with the best will in the world. I doubt it will be maintained by the council after the games, and it will get torn up by weans and mx’ers!
    What are the council sayi g about after the games then? Sure the velodrome and sports venues will be looked after but I doubt this place will! Shame really.
    Sorry to sound so cynical but I know folk in the parks dept and they’re all saying similar things..

trekstar
    Free Member

I searched this on google the other day and found this thread http://www.trailscotland.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3874&hilit=Cathkin

iainc

just seen the bit on that link about planning approval for short trails and a pump track at Whitelee ?

here

My kids are gonna love it 😆

BoardinBob

Rode there once and we got attacked by bams with a feral dog.

Don’t think I’ll ever be back.

BoardinBob

Hmmm. So GCC should have built a mountain bike trail in East Renfrewshire or East Dunbartonshire? Seriously?

Surely all the funding isn’t coming just from GCC? If it’s coming from Scotland as a whole, then it’s not outwith the realms of possibilty that a more suitable venue could be found that wasn’t right next to one of the worst housing estates in Scotland

Waderider
    Free Member

Cycled there many times, alone and with company. Worst I’ve seen was a man on all fours who was being pushed along from behind by his pal, who for some reason was wearing a long black wig. I stopped finding the doggers and gays funny at that point and don’t visit as often. I’ll be back soon to try these trails out though.

theblackmount
    Free Member

>then it’s not outwith the realms of possibilty that a more suitable venue could be found that wasn’t right next to one of the worst housing estates in Scotland<

And what fluffywuffy venue would sir prefer?

More than a few folk sneering down their collective noses on this thread.

glupton1976
    Free Member

I have lived in a lot of rough areas in my life and if there is one thing that attracts neds, it’s walking/riding around looking like you’re crapping yourself. If you have a bit of a swagger about you and look a wee bit rough around the edges you’ll be grand.

That and if some wee ned tries to mug you – you’re on a bike and probably going at speed – flatten them.

iainc

If you have a bit of a swagger about you and look a wee bit rough around the edges you’ll be grand

– that’s what i was saying to the wee man when we were there – can’t you tell from the riding pics ? 😀

BoardinBob

I have lived in a lot of rough areas in my life and if there is one thing that attracts neds, it’s walking/riding around looking like you’re crapping yourself. If you have a bit of a swagger about you and look a wee bit rough around the edges you’ll be grand.

That and if some wee ned tries to mug you – you’re on a bike and probably going at speed – flatten them.

Nae bother Chuck Norris…

BoardinBob

More than a few folk sneering down their collective noses on this thread

a) I’ve actually been there

b) We got attacked when we were there

c) I take it you live in Castlemilk. Nae luck.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Boardinbob – you from Bearsden, Milngavie, or Newton Mearns? Which one is it? 😀

mrplow
    Free Member

The SXC manage to put on great races all year all over Scotland so why not do the same without chucking money at some white elephant trail. This is not the Olympics, it does not have to be an easy to film, new build flat track with specific features type venue with 10 billion live viewer expected worldwide. It is the commy games.

A venue could have been picked to showcase how beautiful Scotland is to oversees viewers etc. Maybe a bit of slightly more rural heritage close to Glasgow. Now they have a crushed stone Olympic copy track with Castlemilk as the backdrop. Lovely.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’m not sneering, I just think the places I listed have better potential for further expansion than Cathkin, and are nicer areas to go riding in. And as mr Salmond keeps telling us, these are Scotland’s games, not Glasgows. It’s us that are funding this, not GCC.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 113 total)

The topic ‘Glasgow riders – any news on Cathkin progress over last month ?’ is closed to new replies.