Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Glasgow, pictorial tour of the not too distant past.
  • YoKaiser
    Free Member

Not changed too much.

maccruiskeen

Got the book – seem to remember there being an interesting back story to the photos – commissioned by the Sunday Times who then sat on them and didn’t publish them as the revealled a little to much about the consequences of thatcherite policies at the time.

Nick Hedges’ photos commissioned by Shelter are worth checking out too

Sanny
    Free Member

That is brilliant. So much of Glasgow that you would struggle to recognise now. Watch That Sinking Feeling to see how much Glasgow has changed since 79. Comfort and Joy is good for that too. Places that I grew up familiar with are now no more.

Thanks for posting this.

sanny

mucker

Poignant, brutal photos. We were in Govan till I was three (1965) then moved out to the burbs (Uddingston). I am so glad my folks had the wherewithal to do that.

duckman

Watching that is quite voyeuristic. It shows the underclass of the second city of the empire.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Brilliant, especially all the kids, the juxtaposition of bright, hopeful faces and those grim flats they lived in.

Canny beat a bit of KC too.

perchypanther
    Free Member

There are bits of Glasgow that still look like that.

Different clothes, different cars maybe but the jakeys remain the same.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Every major city still have those areas PP, but I reckon they’re worse off now, I bet they have worse diets for a start and instead of having no money, there is far more debt.

alanl
    Free Member

Exactly. Any Town/City that has an industrial past has many areas where you could take similar photos today. There was a small bunch of pics today in a Leicester Facebook group showing a derelict area, 300 metres from the Clock Tower in the town centre. Very remininscent of the Glasgow pics.

iainc

Liked that. Have walked most of those streets over the years. Quite moving.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Glasgow, pictorial tour of the not too distant past.’ is closed to new replies.