• This topic has 60 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Glasgow People
  • mahowlett
    Free Member

We’re moving to Glasgow and not knowing the area very well, we are wondering about the best place to live. So far we think Bearsden and Milngavie look nice, though a bit pricey. We’ve also seen a place in Knightswood (online) that looks much better value, but are worried that it might be a much worse area, does anyone know what it’s like? Are there any other areas we should look at? needs to be reasonably close to Bearsden as that’s where my wife will be working. I don’t mind as I’ll be working from home.

Cheers

duncancallum

uddingston is ok but depends on your budget

mahowlett
    Free Member

Budget is about 200k but we need a workshop/garage for the bikes :)…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    legend
    Free Member

Knightswood isn’t exactly great but some bits are better/worse than others. Which street were you looking at?

perchypanther
    Free Member

*please say Lincoln Avenue 😃

mahowlett
    Free Member

Monksbridge Avenue….???

legend
    Free Member

*please say Lincoln Avenue 😃

High quality BMX facilities!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Blackhill, lambhill, Possil, Royston. All lovely.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I worked on a lot of the multi storeys in Knightswood and all over Glasgow a few years back.

Lincoln Avenue was a bit mental.

legend
    Free Member

It’s a little better now……. they knocked down some of the flats

House with a garage on Monksbridge Avenue? If it’s in a row of garages somewhere I wouldn’t expect to keep your bikes

Somewhere like Bishopbriggs might be a better compromise?

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Uddingston is the opposite end of the city!

You could try a bit further west, if Bearsden is stretching your budget – Dumbarton, you get lot of house for your money out that way, closer to the countryside too, but still on the train line into town, as is Balloch up by the bonny banks.

poah
    Free Member

Given our excellent transport system don’t rule out living somewhere else.

mahowlett
    Free Member

hmm Maybe Monksbridge ave, isn’t the best plan, knew the house looked too much a bargain 🙂 as a side note where is good for biking? mugdock park would be the most local place I guess? Assuming it ever stops raining…

sasanach
    Free Member

Used to live in Knightswood just south of Garscadden Railway Station, which is the nicer end next to Scotstounhill. Area was fine, but there’s nothing really within walking distance and there are some of the neighbouring areas are a bit rougher.

Been house-hunting recently ourselves and would suggest Bishopbriggs would suit your criteria. Looked at a couple up there, but as we both work south of the river, we’ve decided on Shawlands. Alternatively, if you didn’t mind being further out of the city and getting a bit more bang for you buck, there’s a few villages just North, like Strathblane.

Just a heads up, if you’re moving from England you should make sure you understand the Scottish buying process. We’ve seen a few houses go for up to 20% over the “offers over” list price, which was 10% over the valuation, so would have needed an extra £20K laying about! Bit of a seller’s market at the moment.

Biking wise, you’ve got Mugdock, Cathkin Braes and Carron Valley for a quick muck around in the evenings. Kilpatrick Hills have a few routes too. Within an hours drive, you’ve got both Aberfoyle and Ardgarten. Glentress is less than 2 hours too.

aldo56
    Free Member

Local-ish fun rides for you would be:

Mugdock, Old Kilpatrick, Campsie Glen, Conic Hill, Aberfoyle, Clydeside, Cathkin Braes, Helensburgh.

Mosy of which are on trailforks to get you going!

aldo56
    Free Member

And it won’t won’t  stop raining till March so best to get out and embrace it haha!

mahowlett
    Free Member

<puts waterproof onesie on xmas list>

bigyinn
    Free Member

Really?

REALLY?

Jings the city has changed since I left in ’96.

kennyp
    Free Member

Possil’s been ruined since they gentrified it. Now full of fancy designer flats with indoor toilets including, can you believe it, both hot and cold running water.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Aye, Possil is lovely.

Merak

I grew up in Milngavie. In Bishopbriggs now, I like it.

Try Westerton or Anniesland?

I wouldn’t buy in Knightswood.

£200k, might need to stretch that for something really nice in either Milngavie or Bearsden.

We’ll keep you right.

tjagain

Milngavie is where my parents live.  I’d be surprised if you could get anything much for your budget in the area but its OK in a very middleclass fur coat and nae knickers way 4 bed detached bungalow near my folks went for IIRC £700 000 last year

We used to call Bearsden spam valley ‘cos people who live there spent all their money on houses and then could only afford spam to eat and they still didn’t live in Milngavie

We also lived in strathblane and Killearn for a few years.  You would soon get sick of the drive to the city and public transport is pants and very pricey again IIRC.

What about Anniesland / Crow road area?  On the train line to Beasden so a simple commute.  anything decent around Cannisburn?

My knowledge of the area bar visiting my folks is well out of date tho.

legend
    Free Member

Really?

REALLY?

Jings the city has changed since I left in ’96

It would seem the absence has lowered your ability to see Glasgow humour also

irc

How many bedrooms? For three bedrooms you will struggle in Milngavie or Bearsedn at 200k. Two bedrooms? A terraced house, easy walking distance from town centre/ train station. A mile from Mugdock.

Presumably enough of a garden for a bike shed at the back. Very quiet low crime area.Good dog walking/ jogging around adjacent Dougalston golf course

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-75761825.html

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

If you don’t mind a soulless new estate, uddingston/tannochside/baillieston area is ideally placed, good transport links to city centre, right on M74 and M73 so perfect for South, north and salt n sauce expressway.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/fullscreen/image-gallery.html?propertyId=68529109&photoIndex=0

bigyinn
    Free Member

It would seem the absence has lowered your ability to see Glasgow humour also

It was tongue in cheek tbh, but then you just had to live up to your reputation on here….

Merak

I’m always amazed by the juxtaposition of Bearsden and Drumchapel. I often ride up the hill to Chesters Road from Drumchapel into a road where each detached sandstone multi storey villa must cost in excess of a million pounds, from a scheme where close’s and windows are boarded shut.

Oblongbob

We live in Renfrewshire, near bridge of weir. It’s nice enough out here, easier to get into town on the A737 and M8 than from bearsden/milngavie (at rush hour both are a bit grim). Prices a bit more reasonable, depending on where you want to be. Higher in the areas within the catchment areas for good schools. Some ok tracks in muirshiel country park nearby but not extensive. Easy to get over Kingston bridge for alternative riding if you’ve got a little more time. Out to the south round about newton mearns is nice too. And you can get out onto the moors that way. Just giving you some other options…

irc

Uddingston, Tannochside? Don’t do it.

I live in Milngavie and commute to Uddingston 2 days a week. 18 miles each way.  30 mins drive for a 7am start but 45-50 mins drive home from a 5pm finish.

It’s one thing taking that commute on when you are already living somewhere but not when the Op,s wife will work in Bearsden and has a choice of closer places to live.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Commute is a downside, upside is not having to put up with Bearsden folk. 😂

irc

Agreed. In Milngavie we don’t like them either. 😁

legend
    Free Member

Agree with the “don’t cross the city” approach. I work just on the wrong side of the river and experience the same issue as above; 25 mins in the morning, easily 50+mins on the way home if I can’t get away sharp

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Just my usual really, not reading the OP properly!.

Drymen worth a look?…

irc

Dryden? Nice village. The Stockiemuir Road not the best for a bike commute to Beasden though. A busy racetrack in peak hours. Going north of Milngavie strathblane would work. Old Mugdock Rd OK for a bike commute to Bearsden. Not sure if prices are any lower than Milngavie.

rene59
    Free Member

Plenty of nice bits in the west with easy commute to Bearsden, at least with a car. Look at Rhu, Helensburgh, Cardross, Dumbarton (some parts of it), Balloch, Drymen and Old Kilpatrick (some parts). On the other side of the Erskine Bridge you have Erskine (some parts), Bishopton, Kilmalcolm, Inchinnan/Renfrew (parts of them), Paisley/Elderslie/Johnstone (parts of them), Kilbarchan/Bridge of Weir/Houston/Brookfield.

Prices from very cheap to bloody expensive, sometimes virtually next door to each other. This part of the country there isn’t so much nice places/not nice places, as much as there are places with nice bits and not nice bits within them.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I’d be looking at somewhere between Helensburgh and Kirkintilloch, sticking to the north side of the river to avoid winter bridge closures (and diversions through the tunnel if it’s not closed as well!). I don’t have a great opinion of Dumbarton and it’s satellite ghettos tbh and Helensburgh is a hasbeen seaside town at the end of the line (I’m from Largs, I know what it looks like) with a lot of crap between it and civilisation. I have heard it’s been getting some regeneration but tbh you are still a distance from where things are actually happening. If you want to be that remote go to Drymen/Balfron/Strathblane area and do it properly.

Anything east of Kirkintilloch is Cumbernauld and it’s satellite ghettos, again not somewhere I would live by choice, I know enough people from the area that I wouldn’t even entertain the idea.

gordy90lpg
    Free Member

Move to hardgate/duntocher you will have the Kilpatrick Hills on your doorstep and Bearsden is a 5-10 minute drive

legend
    Free Member

Helensburgh is a hasbeen seaside town at the end of the line

To be fair to the ‘burgh, it seems to be making a comeback. Lots of money spent on the town centre and loads of good places to eat now. A little too far from Glasgow to work for me, and would likely be a 45mins commute to Bearsden though

squirrelking
    Free Member

Aye I know they’ve had some money spent on them, would be even better if they still had the foot ferry running as well. Just couldn’t personally face living in a similar place to the one I’m in.

mahowlett
    Free Member

Spot of thread resurrection, thanks for your advice guys, we moved to Killearn seems very nice so far, just starting to find my way around 🙂 Need to take the bike to Mugdock and see what the unmarked trails are like next.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Glasgow People’ is closed to new replies.