Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Glasgow airport to town centre
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Is it a good connection or a ballache? Might be up there weekly with work later in the year.

moonsaballoon

Direct bus into town takes 20 mins in no traffic , bus to paisley then train probably about 40 mins in total . Bus in rush hour could be up to an hour,taxis are fixed fair of about £30 I think but a local cab probably about half that

andytherocketeer

bus from right outside the door goes approximately every 10 mins or so, and costs abotu 6 quid

perchypanther
    Free Member

Connection? What Connection?

There is no train / tram / monorail / underground line between Glasgow Airport and the City Centre if you can believe that.

There are shuttle buses or taxi’s. Might be cheaper getting a taxi to Paisley and the train into toon.

Most people who travel for business purposes have someone pick them up / drop them off at the Airport has been my experience.

peterfile
    Free Member

£20 for a taxi into town.

Shuttle bus is regular but depends where you’re heading to in town as to whether this is useful (it has limited stops).

Gary_M
    Free Member

Connection? What Connection?

Er is the bus not a connection?

Most people who travel fro business have someone pick them up / drop them off at the Airport has been my experience.

Not mine – people, either colleagues or contractors, that come to our office from the airport get a taxi and that’s a very regular occurrence. We don’t generally send cars for people.

matt_outandabout

Our colleagues also fly-bus-train to us in Stirling.

irc

Buses are the cheapest.

Single fare to the city centre is £4.49 and £6.29 return. Approximate guide to journey time from airport to city centre by bus is 25 minutes. The city centre bus stops have an airport logo on them.

http://www.glasgow-airport-guide.co.uk/transport.html#a

If work are paying though the airport hackney rank right outside the door gets you door to door without waiting for a bus at one end and walking from the bus stop to final destination. Around £20 single.

IMO even at peak periods a taxi will still get you to the city centre final destination faster than getting a taxi to Paisley, waiting for a train, then getting from train station to final destination.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Er is the bus not a connection?

This.

molgrips
    Free Member

Seems to be academic anyway as I don’t think a 6.5 hour train journey would go down well with the client when there’s a 1h10 flight!

Harder to bring bike though, is that worth doing? Road or mtb?

peterfile
    Free Member

6.5 hour train journe

Where are you travelling from?

is that worth doing? Road or mtb?

If you’re up for the day (particularly in winter), probably not!

The best riding, both road and mtb, is a reasonable distance outside the city.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

Bus – Wi-fi, cheap, limited destinations and you ALWAYS end up sitting waiting for about 15 mins as you just missed the previous bus.
    Airport Taxi- Expensive £25- £30 to the City Centre. But they’re always there and you don’t have to wait for them & you wont be left waiting for them.
    Glasgow Black Taxi-Approx £20 based on agreed rate, ok but can be a bit hit and miss in terms of turning up when they say they’re going to.
    Glasgow Private Hire- Hit and miss. Approx £12-15 to CC. Last time I used a private car, the car was filthy and stinking. This is ok for my berlingo bike van, not when I’m suited going to meet a customer.

molgrips
    Free Member

Travelling from Cardiff. Looks like all the trains I can get involve going to Crewe and then three hours on the horribly uncomfortable commuter refit Arriva Trains Wales trains. Sod that.

I can only fly back from Glasgow in the morning which is not much good, so it’s either Easyjet from Bristol or fly to Edinburgh and get a train to Glasgow. I know the bus from Edinburgh airport to town seems to take ages, I wonder if there’s a better way to get to Glasgow?

I normally like to bring a bike and ride in the evenings, but it might not be worth it. Although I have got some good fitness lately, don’t really want to lose it.

legend
    Free Member

There’s a bus from the front door of Edinburgh airport straight along the motorway to Glasgow bus station

seosamh77
    Free Member

Just get the bus from glasgow airport, fastest way there.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah but seosamh the flights back from Glasgow are near useless. So it’s train or a different airport at one end or another.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Which part of Glasgow? If it’s the East side then Edinburgh will usually be quicker to fly to and from. Centre – depends on time of day. West – Glasgow.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I know the bus from Edinburgh airport to town seems to take ages, I wonder if there’s a better way to get to Glasgow?

You could go on the multi-squillion pound tram to Edinburgh Waverley and then there’s regular fast trains to Glasgow Queen Street?

The Tram ain’t that quick but you’ll feel, as a taxpayer, that you’re trying your best to get your moneys worth.

Rod

I had to do it for work Monday evening/yesterday afternoon – arrived quite late at Glasgow airport intending to get a taxi, but there was a massive queue and very few taxis around – so I just jumped on the bus instead. Was quick and reasonably comfortable (and I didn’t have to talk to a taxi driver) and drops off in a few spots in the city centre. Got the bus back to the airport as well as it was easier to find the stop than to try and find a taxi…

molgrips
    Free Member

Centre I think.

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

Sod paying that, I walked on the road to get into the airport, sodding ball ache but wasn’t going to hang around for some junkie taxi driver.

thegreatpotato
    Free Member

Is there any flights betwixt Cardiff and Prestwick? Train station literally across the road from that airport, 45 minute train (with reduced fare if you show flight thing) into Glasgow city centre.

imnotverygood

If it is the centre it probably makes sense to fly to Edinburgh and get the airport bus to Glasgow. Still a bit of a pain but better than getting the tram into Haymarket.

seosamh77
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    Yeah but seosamh the flights back from Glasgow are near useless. So it’s train or a different airport at one end or another.

See if you can fly to prestwick? takes about 45 minutes to central, it has a train station, escalator up to the flyover is just at the front door/checkin area.(and it’s a small airport so quick to get out of)

Edinburgh could be a bit of a pain if you are stuck on the m8 during rush hour.

Gary_M
    Free Member

takes about 45minutes central, it has a train station.

Well that depends when the OP is traveling. you can at least double your 45 minutes prestwick to Glasgow in peak times and thats on a good day.

imnotverygood

I don’t think Prestwick has Cardiff flights.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Gary_M – Member
    takes about 45minutes central, it has a train station.

Well that depends when the OP is traveling. you can at least double your 45 minutes prestwick to Glasgow in peak times and thats on a good day.

Never taken that long for me, scotrail says shortest 38mins, longest 1h8mins(one train), standard seems to be 42 or 47 mins

seosamh77
    Free Member

imnotverygood – Member
    I don’t think Prestwick has Cardiff flights.

Sounds like Edinburgh or the train then! (or driving.)

Gary_M
    Free Member

Ah I was thinking bus, forgot about the train station there.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Hire a bike delivered to Glasgow Airport and bimble along Paisley Road West? 9 miles?

Bike hire from Glasgow Airport

squirrelking
    Free Member

Prestwick? You’ll be lucky if thats even operating in the next year or so, its a Ryanair “fly wherever we can’t get a better origin runway for now” hole.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Glasgow airport to town centre’ is closed to new replies.