Glandular Fever

Home Forum Chat Forum Glandular Fever

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Glandular Fever
  • Premier Icon andytherocketeer

1. nope.
    my understanding is some people might be EBV carriers and never get GF symptoms. prolly more likely you got it from them.

every one I know that got GF was an isolated case.

2. dunno – speak to a doc

3. some are completely back to normal in 10 days, as if it never happened. but it took me a month to be able to go back to school, no sports for 3 months (no way did I have the energy), and over a year to get back to nearly properly normal.

that’s just my experience of having it, and seeing many friends get it at different times. but doctors probably know more truth.

I was hospitalised due to complications resulting from Glandular fever when I was about 30. It took several months to get completely back to normal – I lost almost 1/4 of my body weight at the time.

I wouldn’t worry about anyone else getting it. No-one close to me did – apparently a lot of people will have had it when young so have immunity but got it so mildly it just seems like a minor bug.

Every so often I get a period of fatigue but I suspect it’s nothing to do with GF an just a general cold/virus doing the rounds.

You’ll be fine as long as you rest until you feel normal again. Not letting your body recover and trying to train/race would be a mistake.

The only annoying long term problem from it is that I now get severe tonsillitis about twice a year.

Every year for the past few years I’ve gone through a series of colds, followed by a period of feeling knackered/bit depressed for months. Obviously this has not done wonders for cycling performance.

I asked the doctor for a blood test and it’s come back +ve for Epstein Barr Virus, which causes/is glandular fever.

I’m just about back to normal now, but had a big day on Tuesday that has left me feeling a bit run down and would like to do a 2 hour race next weekend.

Doctor says, in general, listen to body and rest.
    NHS direct says my head could explode.

I had a very bad bout of Flu about 5 years ago and have suffered from extended periods of fatigue most years since then, so I’m guessing that may have been GF.

Going forward, I’d like to know what to expect in terms of:

1. Are my family likely to be infected (it’s known as the kissing virus).
    2. Will I keep getting these periods of fatigue – my understanding is, like malaria, it can keep coming back.
    3. Am I ever going to be able to train hard and get back to race fitness?

Cheers in advance for any advice.

I got it about 4 years ago. Took 3 months to feel well enough to ride, first ride out I threw up after 20 miles feeling totally awful. Took maybe another month after that to feel back to normal on the bike.

I kept getting recurring symptoms for about 3 years, didn’t seem to be any particular trigger for them, but they were always in the summer when I was training and putting my body under more stress, so I would guess that might of been the cause. This year though I’ve been fine, no recurring symptoms despite some pretty intense sessions on the bike.

So, yeah, in general I’d say listen to your body, if you’re not up to it you’ll regret going and feel awful, but you should be able to get back to full fitness, but I honestly wouldnt be able to guess when that would be.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Glandular Fever’ is closed to new replies.