Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 127 total)
  • Giving up?
  • juan
    Free Member

My bikes are not going on the classifieds just yet

Cancel plans to rob a bank…

Drac

Good on you for seeking help and not being shy about your troubles I bet there’s more of us out there suffered with problems than letting on, we deal with them in our own way.

Anyway as for giving in biking yeah it’s hard when you’ve been riding only a little and your fitness drops, I’ve hardly ridden in the last 3 years and mates have been good when I’ve been out. They’ve not complained even though I know it must drive them mad and the invites still come for trips away. However, last week I rode three times and even went out on my own which I’ve never done with exception of a costal pootle and loving it, my fitness is creeping back but most importantly my enthusiasm is right back.

You’ll come back to it if and when your ready any riding buddies should understand and be happy to wait for you at the top of the hills.

noteeth
    Free Member

The urge to ride my bike comes and goes… what never changes is the time and space it allows for some reflective downtime in the woods. If you need ’em, the trails aren’t going anywhere… nor is STW. 😀

Good luck, MrsFlash!

Archaic
    Free Member

Good luck with the change in pills as I was on those a couple of years ago. Coupled with some CBT and a very helpful partner I was off them in no time and back to full health. The greatest thing I ever learnt via CBT was the importance of talking things through with my gf (now wife).

Good luck and I wish you a full and happy recovery 😉

trio25
    Free Member

I didn’t ride for two months the other year and now I am completely obsessed. But when I was ill and started riding again, I went out on my own. I used to ride out to a bench on my local hill, bring lunch and just enjoy the day – when it wasn’t raining of course! It got me out of the house and slowly I got fitter without realising it and started riding more. Don’t feel you have to ride though, then you beat yourself up and it is a never-ending spiral. Been there!

sheldona
    Free Member

Mrsflash Come join us at dalby this weekend (ssuk) we’ll get you back on the right track 🙂

Failing that a weekend down here in the Cotswolds with GF perhaps?

BigJohn

If I’m feeling a bit “ambiguous” about going for a ride, I tell myself that it’ll be OK to bail at any point. I will admit to once not even getting out of the car at Milford Common and once turning round after less than 100yds.

But it takes all the stress away, and means that the other 98 times I didn’t feel like riding, I actually did get to ride and (mostly) was glad I did.

I think this approach stems from the rather more natural reluctance to go windsurfing of the Welsh coast in winter. That can be very daunting, so the “one step at a time” breaks down the resistance quite well.

The other thing I do when windsurfing (if physically possible) is to make sure my last run of the day is a good one. That sometimes means saying no to “one last blast” when I know my body won’t hold up to another beating from the waves, and I’ll just get munched in the shore break, but sometimes it means waiting till its almost dark for things to calm down enough for a quick “out and back”. But I always finish with a “Yeah that was great” feeling so I’ll be eager to go back next time. I guess that’s why we always park the car at the bottom of a nice fast techy descent too – so you get back with a stupid grin on your face and can’t wait till next time.

And as has been said earlier, you’re not closing the door on anything by having a break. When you’re ready to start again all it means is you’ve lost a little bit of fitness. That comes back soon enough.

BTW, Mrs BJ and I are in our 50s. She now prefers a less rigorous pace. So I have to be a bit more thoughtful in planning rides. Last Thursday evening we went for a 90minute stady ride over Cannock Chase instead of my usual more hectic ride with the guys. A sunday ride will be an earlier start, then just 1 circuit of Llandegla red/black (she hasn’t lost her appetite for fun) or CYB, Dalby etc. but then a pub lunch and a bit of pottering about on the drive home. And you know what? I really enjoy my rides with her every bit as much as the 6 hour epics in the peaks/lakes etc. Maybe its GingerFlash who needs to change his habits!

anagallis_arvensis

I just read the opening of this thread so forgive me for not reading the rest. I gave up riding my bike seemingly for good a year ago at easter, it was the summer before since I had been mountainbiking. I have since had one hip op and would appear to need at least two more before I can think of riding again, most likely I never will again. I’m 35 and its fair to say my life revolved around riding (mostly on the road in recent years) having to stop wasnt really that hard, it just hurt too much to be in anyway fun. Living with not being able to ride is much, much harder sometimes too hard. Last weekend I drove to **** B&Q and saw my old club mates returning from a ride and started crying. I have friends who I havent seen in a year because I wouldnt be able to cope with seeing them.

BigJohn

erm, it might have helped to have read the rest AA…

Joxster
    Free Member

Cycling can be the best thing in world and also the worst thing in the world. Put your favourite bike in the attic and it you must sell the others. You’ll feel like you’ve stepped back and then go on a holiday and sit on the beach for a week. When you come back try something like Tennis or Golf where you will meet new people, make some new friends and will have fun. However long it takes before you feel comfortable go along to a ‘social’ event ideally to watch friends or MrFlash race. You’ll meet old friends and you’ll remember the fun you had, do this a couple of times till you hanker after getting the bike out the attic.

I go through phases of hating cycling, I’m in one just now, which could be down to moving house, waiting to hear about a new contract and not being as fit as I want to be.

zaskar
    Free Member

juan – Member

My bikes are not going on the classifieds just yet

Cancel plans to rob a bank…

Cancel plans to rob Juan… :mrgreen:

anagallis_arvensis

erm, it might have helped to have read the rest AA…

Great now I feel even better! Life sucks sometimes dont it.

zaskar
    Free Member

Mrs Flash-print and stick on your wall please:

redthunder
    Free Member

Don’t want to be mercenary…

What bike will you have for sale and size ?

However, don’t give up…. start building some trail, good therapy that.

gusamc
    Free Member

I wouldn’t worry about wanting a change, as far as I can see change is natural (IMHO required), you can choose to have a break and you can choose to come back.

I’ve not given up cycling but I’ve given up a couple of what I thought were ‘forevers’.
    Motorbikes – I had 8 at once, no car till I was 27, cracking part of my life, awesome times, but I don’t have a motorbike now.

Windsurfing – I’ve sat 6 hours at a bleeding lake waiting for the wind, again I had some awesome times but I sold my kit about 8 years ago.

If you want a break have a break, prepare kit and store properly, you might end up like me, having tripped over it for the nth and last time it’ll get sold and you won’t miss it, as by then you’ll be enjoying something else.

scaredypants

Sorry to hear you’re going through a bad patch, Mrs F…

I doubt it helps, but I’m riding more this year than I have for ages. I’ve averaged about an hour per week during the summers for a few years, and way less in the winter. During all that time I still thought of myself as a “resting” cyclist.

Reasons: Kids, busy job, busy wife (who’s also just coming through something like you’re in just now). None were that compelling as reasons go, I think we were both just generally jaded. Really enjoying it this year though.

agnallis – mate of mine had both hips done (only “Birmingham” hips though) at about 40yrs old. He kicked my arse good & proper last weekend on the roads (just like the other four). Fingers crossed then, at least you’ll be faster than I am !

mangoridebike

Best wishes Mrs F

Don’t let the feeling that you should be cycling get in the way of you getting back to feeling good about yourself. No hobby is that important.

If you do sell your bikes and then get back into cycling again, you can go through that ‘new bike joy’ all over again! 🙂

anagallis_arvensis

Birmingham hips at 35 are not a good option as they dont last that long and can then be followed by two full replacements at most which also dont last long leaving you a bit screwed if you live past 65.

Mrs Flash, I hesitate to give advice as you know whats best for you I’m sure, but if you dont want to ride, dont, if you dont want to ride in 3, 6, 12 months time dont, just dont close off the options.

Someone mentioned having a kid, well I have this which makes me smile and who I am very happy to be taking out for a walk in a bit when it cools down

pstokes99
    Free Member

MrsF: I don’t think our paths have ever crossed, however you can’t quit – your public need you. Peoples (certainly in and around North Leeds) are always asking after the Flashes and as I’ve met Mr MrsFlash it must be you they want to see 😉

Take a break from it; keep you favourite kit/bike – sell the rest and buy something recklessly self indulgent (sorry GF).

Kids are ace and all that, but if you think mountain biking was an expensive hobby…

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Wunundred!

hodge

Mrs Flash, I find mtbing both exciting and frustrating, it keeps my mind off many things, therefore it keeps me sane.

There are some days when it’s a real effort to get out, some times I could just chuck the whole thing in the bin.

I suffer from depression, anxiety and chronic back pain, a proper road bike is not an option, so it’s fat slicks and suspension for the road, full sus for off road.

I’ve meet some great people along the way who have really helped and I’ve pissed a few people off too!

I’m not the greatest of riders, but I do have ago within reason I die going up and shit myself going down.

I give it a 100% but sometimes the depression and anxiety get the better of me, it’s then time to regroup and try another time, relax and move on the world won’t stop spinning because of it.

There’s always another ride, another time, at some point I will give up for one reason or another, but not to day!

I hope it works out, no rush just do what’s right for you

silverpigeon
    Free Member

I gave up cycling in my early 30’s after spending most of the previous 10 years racing in the summer and training in the winter to the point where I think I just got burned out/bored with cycling. As I lost my fitness it got harder to motivate myself to ride everyday and next thing I knew, it had been 2 years before I’d got my leg over, as it were.

I started again about 5 years ago but now just enjoy being on my bike, I don’t care if I’m slow or fast, I don’t watch my diet, monitor my heart rate or care if some 12 year old on a Raleigh Grifter overtakes me up a hill. I couldn’t give a toss about whether steel, aluminium or kryptonite is the best frame material, whether I look a **** in lycra and I can’t even remember the significance of head angles, seat angles or top tube length

I got back into to it again because once I’d let all that other stuff go I remembered what it was I enjoyed the most about cycling. It gets me outdoors, enjoying the scenery and, when I’m going downhill, it feels like flying.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

keavo
    Free Member

first of all, apologies if i repeat previous replys. stop riding if your not enjoying it much, you don’t have to declare that your giving it up that sounds very final. do some other stuff….catch up with non cycling friends, get away from riding, get drunk, try another sport, anything really.
    i’ve been a cyclist for many years, and gave it up once. the following (several) times i “gave it up” i sort of knew i’d go back to it. also, i noticed that i want to give it up when i do too much and hang around with people who talk cycling all the time. good luck.

jedi

giving up cycling for me would be like giving up breathing.

thing is, it dont matter what i do on 2 wheels i love it.

the inner smile

cinnamon_girl

MrsF – was saddened to read your post and can empathise. In fact last year I started a thread on here saying that I felt riding was another pressure when I had loads of other stress to deal with.

My salvation is riding on my own cos that’s what I’ve always done until a couple of years ago. I still ride on my own sometimes cos of the buzz from the countryside around me, the wildlife, the scenery, the peacefulness. If I want to stop and take in the view, I do and take as long as I want eating a picnic lunch.

Don’t beat yourself up about not wanting to ride, sometimes you need to step back and do different things. I do hope things work out for you.

Cubed
    Free Member

I totally get it. It’s just that a patch. It won’t last forever.

As for myself?
    Back problems.
    Arm problems.
    Asthma trouble from all the painkillers they’ve given me over the years.
    Every hill is agony.
    Every downhill descent is nirvana.
    I just keep on going – waiting for those moments of exhiliration.
    Giving up is never an option – for me it makes me fight harder.

So have a rest, and come back to it, you appreciate it more in the end.

Trekster

I have “lost” a number of riding buddies over the years for different reasons. The biggest change came about post F&M when we all started doing different things and discovering or re-discovering old/new pastimes.

As I said in earlier post I have had a few chest infections which affect my asthma over the past few years which causes me to stop serious biking for 3-5mths at a time. But I always manage to motivate myself somehow to get out and about again. I also mentioned the bit about prioritising what you want out of it. If you are beating yourself up about not “getting fit” then maybe you need to look at what you are doing.

A young lady friend of mine got to the junior Comonweath Games, broke her chain whilst in 3rd place and was gutted as you can imagine. She was a manic trainer until she was taken in hand. her motto now is “train less but train smarter”

Having seen some of your pictures you have posted up here on occasions you are FIT enough.

juan
    Free Member

LOL @ zaskar.

MartynS

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

big virtual hug in your direction..

I’ll PM you later…

geoffj

mrsf – keep up the running. MrsJ started running about 2 years ago. It really helps her head, although sometimes she doesn’t really recognise it. I do!
    If cycling, or as I suspect the faff, ritual, organisation, pressure associated with getting out on your bike is too much, either don’t do it, or get some flats on a bike with a helmet hung on the bars. If, when you fancy it, just jump on and turn the pedals – even if its only to the shops and back. No faff, no organisation, no thinking or pressure required – just riding.
    Good luck.

mrsflash
    Free Member

I honestly don’t know what to say. I am completely overwhelmed by all your messages and by all the people who have emailed me. I know this place can be full of sh1t but honestly, when you need people you really all do come through

Anyhow, I got home last night and it was such a beautiful evening, so I went out on my road bike for a bit. Just pottered through Eccup and down to Pool and Otley and then home. I didn’t think about the actual turning of the pedals, I just looked at the fields and the sheep and the occassional car trying to run me over. And I had a nice time. I’ll get there.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

mrsflash – Member

………………. riding just the two of us just doesn’t work – we are too different in our speeds and our approaches to riding.

Try a tandem?

Me and Mrs TJ had both loved MTBing but had had to give up riding together for exactly the reasons you describe. Frustrating for both of us. We tried a tandem and loved it. Riding the tandem rekindled our love of MTBing and we now both ride solo more as well. I had virtually given up on mtbing before buying the tandem.

If he is fitter he can put in 55% of the power into the bike but you don’t get left behind ( barring the odd crash!) You have to ride a bit more conservatively as you cannot bail out so safety margins need to be higher.

Tandems don’t suit all couples so I would always suggest trying before you buy. It has actually brought us closer together as a couple and has been great fun. Often its somewhere between co operation and competition. Neither of us want to be the first to cry ” enough!” on climbs but its great when you clean an obstacle as you can Hi five and go “teamwork!”

geetee1972
    Free Member

Mrs Flash is it you that has that lovely Independent Fabrications bike?

mrsflash
    Free Member

geetee, no that’s FoxyChick. I have a voodoo, a juliana and a ribble road bike.

Tj, that’s either an inspired idea or recipe for divorce – could really go either way! we do live near JD’s in Ilkley though so could easily try one out.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

mrsflash – Member

……………
    Tj, that’s either an inspired idea or recipe for divorce – could really go either way! we do live near JD’s in Ilkley though so could easily try one out.

Correct! Impossible to predict which way it will go but it worked for us.

JDs have a very good reputation for hire / loan / advice I believe.

You need to try before you buy and you need a decent tryout – not just an hour or two but a day or two. You also need to try it with both of you in both seats.

You won’t divorce after a tryout tho – promise. One of you may have to walk home tho 🙂

geetee1972
    Free Member

Ah well either way, I thought it was you. The other day I passed someone with longish hair on a green IF. I thought it was you so as they passed I hailed them as ‘Mrs Flash’. The person merely grunted and my mates roared laughing. When I explained why I hailed them as Mrs Flash, they informed me that said rider was actually a bloke.

He must have thought I was taking the p**s ;o)

mrsflash
    Free Member

Lol, fab story!!!! Mind you, you’d probably have got more of a reaction if you’d called them a FoxyChick! 😯

Joxster
    Free Member

geetee, you saying MrsFlash looks like a man 😯 You better start riding 😉

stratobiker
    Free Member

Dear mrsflash,
    I’m sorry to hear that you are thinking of giving up cycling. That’s a real shame. I hope you don’t. Do some more rides like last night. If you have a computer or heart rate monitor leave them at home.

Forget cadence, gear, pace, posture, souplesse. Change the focus of your ride. Take a camera and aim to come back with three good pictures that show the beauty of the countryside where you ride.

Bon Courage,
    a bientot sur les chemins,

bise…
    SB 🙂

ash

If you have a computer or heart rate monitor leave them at home.

Forget cadence, gear, pace, posture, souplesse. Change the focus of your ride. Take a camera and aim to come back with three good pictures that show the beauty of the countryside where you ride.

Well said…

…I would personally *also* try it without the camera, to shift the focus of the outing to you, your bike, your surroundings and nothing else. To a certain extent, the less you take with you, the more unfettered the experience, and the more you will TRULY get out of it as a “riding in the fresh air in the countryside” experience

All the best.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 127 total)

The topic ‘Giving up?’ is closed to new replies.