Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 127 total)
  • Giving up?
  • mrsflash
    Free Member

Trouble is, at the moment it’s making me feel worse 🙁

VanHalen

dont understand this ‘giving up’ you either want to do it or you dont. if you dont then whey are you doing it?

lifes too short to do something you dont like in your free time.

yossarian
    Free Member

If riding is making you feel worse then don’t bloody do it! Sounds like you have enough going on.

Your mates, your bikes and the trails will still be there after you have mended yourself and had some time out.

mrsflash
    Free Member

Your mates, your bikes and the trails will still be there after you have mended yourself and had some time out

very good point.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I think your CBT guy will tell you not to beat yourself up about not riding if you really don’t want to, won’t s/he? But if you’re looking out at sunshine, dusty trails and a beautiful shiny blue voodoo and thinking “riding won’t be any fun” then you ought to be fairly suspicious of that idea, because you enjoyed it until fairly recently. Exercise does seem to help me a fair bit, but what’s important isn’t being at peak fitness, it’s turning the pedals/putting one foot in front of the other and getting a change of scene. All the best, Jon 🙂

Joxster
    Free Member

Have an affair

Now does that sounds as daft as giving up bike riding 😉

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Me and my other half have the same issue over riding pace/style. We occasionally ride together, but more often will start together, ride seperately, maybe meet up part way though the ride, maybe not. Try it – works for us.

As far as the “getting bored” bit goes. If I find I’m getting a bit stale I just switch disciplines – maybe do more pure DH stuff, or do some road riding. I’ve had a pretty rough run at work recently and have ended up pretty knackered so my last couple of “trail rides” have turned more into skills sessions. Less head down thrashing, more cruising the climbs and sessioning the DHs and it’s felt pretty good – I’ve been able to spend more time simply being out in the woods enjoying the weather.

I *would* try and get back commuting one way or another. There’s nowt to clear the head as much as a good endorphin hit first thing in the morning to wake you up, or to burn off the day’s frustrations in the evening. If you can’t face the bike what about walking or running?

Sancho
    Free Member

Mrs F
    I find riding with new people is the best motivation, the North Leeds lot do a lot of the same stuff and so you need to ride with a few new people, or old people, pop down to the shop (Crosstrax) on thursday night 6:30/7pm for a spin around Ilkley moor.

MrAgreeable

What Big Dummy said. If you have lots of negative thoughts telling you not to do stuff, whether it is riding your bike or getting out of bed, a good way to shut them up is to do said stuff.

Jezkidd
    Free Member

None of us here have to define ourselves as ‘a mountainbiker’ I think this labelling is a bit weird, people who go to the gym or play five a side don’t use these things as a label. If you fancy going for a bike ride go for one, if not don’t; it’s not all or nothing.

One thing I would say however is that exercise in whatever form is good for you, physicAlly and for your state of mind; keep getting exercise, you won’t get that unfit for biking.

Bunnyhop

I am so sorry you are feeling like this. We need all the woman we can get into mtbing.
    Maybe taking a break would be good.

Having had most of 2007 off the bike, it really made me appreciate the riding when I got back into it.
    Have you thought about going back to something you did in the past? My thoughts have taken me back to maybe starting horse riding again.
    I know you mentioned that you love horses.
    You are young and have plenty of time to go back to mtbing if you fancy it in the future.
    My regret is starting late and just wanting now to do as much as I can, until the body gives up.
    Goodluck with your desicion.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Our riding buddies seem not to be riding as much for various reasons and riding just the two of us just doesn’t work – we are too different in our speeds and our approaches to riding.

Take some time out for a ride on your own . . . close to home so that if you’re not really up for it then it’s no big deal to cut it short and no pressure just ride at your own pace, when ever and wherever suits you . . . same with the running, but just take it easy and don’t worry about the fitness thing. Run/ride for fun and the fitness will take care of itself.

Take care.

mrsflash
    Free Member

Thanks everyone again, I really appreciate your replies, they have given me a lot of food for thought.

I think I need to find a way of riding where I don’t put so much pressure on myself, so I will try an come up with a way of doing that. I’ll keep on with the running too as am enjoying that at the moment and at least it does something, gets me outside etc.

Bunnyhop, funnily I suggested horseriding to a friend just the other day.

underthesun
    Free Member

Sorry to hear you fell like this mrsflash! Like said above it sounds more serious than simply not wanting to get out on the bike and I hope you get better soon.

The only thing I will say is that when I feel low (and by the sounds of things nothing in comparison to your situation) I have to get out on the bike to lift my mood. If I don’t, I feel myself just getting moodier and lower than ever. Now the thing is I would suggest giving the biking a miss and finding something you really enjoy doing whether it be walking, running, swimming, hiking, climbing whatever. After you’ve given this a try you will probably find you really hanker after the bike and get back into ripping up the trails like you used to do.

I do find it strange though how such a keen biker that you are by all accounts you simply feel like giving up.

Not wishing to diss your other half at all but maybe he needs to go out on speedier rides on his own and also slower/paced rides with yourself to get you through this. I do this with my other half and it normally involves cafe stops, pub rides etc but at least she enjoys it and I don’t leave her in the dust feeling like sh*t.

lowey

Ahhh sorry to hear about your problems Claire…. sending virtual hug!

Good luck with the CBT. I have heard some really good results with it.

mrsflash
    Free Member

Cheers Lowey. How is your daughter doing?

juan
    Free Member

Have a break, rest yourself and find slower riding buddies 😉
    From what I can see it’s no riding the problem, it’s that you are asking yourself too much. No one can ride at 100 % all the time. I left France being average in riding and now I am back being crap, never mind I ride a little bit more on my own, enjoy going slower and that’s it.
    As said your bike and the trail will never change… So why getting stressed out.

mrsflash
    Free Member

So why getting stressed out.

because that’s what I do! 😉

juan
    Free Member

GRRRRRRRRRRRR people it’s CLARE not CLAIRE… 😉

Bunnyhop

mrsflash – you are not alone with the partner observation. I too get stressed when trying to keep up with him and his mates. I therfore only go on rides where I’m invited, that way they now that it has to be slower, with more stops than usual. Also I’ve been riding with more couples.
    Mostly I ride on my own, at a much slower pace but just keep going.
    I’m pretty sure we are not alone with this, as many of the girls I used to ride with from shecycles felt the same.

lowey

Cheers Lowey. How is your daughter doing?

Very well thanks. She may even have her casts off this week… fingers crossed.

mrsflash
    Free Member

GRRRRRRRRRRRR people it’s CLARE not CLAIRE…

😆 it doesn’t matter. Although I do find it entertaining that most French people pronounce Clare very differently to Claire.

mrsflash
    Free Member

I have to say, in defence of Rich, he’s mostly very patient. It’s just at the moment I’m struggling to try at all – it’s not just the speed thing.

juan
    Free Member

Although I do find it entertaining that most French people pronounce Clare very differently to Claire.

That’s because it’s not the same my lovely 😉

mogrim

Forget the bike, particuarly if you feel obliged for safety reasons to go out with other people – stick to running.

Besides, some good music, gently pacing along the trails, enjoying your own company – running’s much more fun than biking 🙂

mrsflash
    Free Member

It’s exactly the same name Juan, just the irish spelling not the french.

Dare you admit that on here mogrim??

ourmaninthenorth

Trouble is, at the moment it’s making me feel worse

Explains a lot, especially if you’re not feeling well.

Can’t remember if you said you’d used Citalopram (or any other ADs) before.. Mrs North had it last year (after Seroxat making her very ill), and it did have a positive benefit at steadying her mental state. She also undertook CBT, but did so privately, rather than on the NHS (as the waiting lists in Manchester can be months). I’d recommend the private CBT route, as I saw it made a distinct difference for her and in many ways was ultimately more beneficial than the ADs alone. That said, the ADs allowed her to develop some renewed perspective, on top of which the CBT really helped. Apologies if I’m telling you stuff you already know.

Mrs North doesn’t naturally turn to exercise (which is sometimes frustrating, given he has killer hand/eye co-ordination), but she and I did do some gentle stuff – just walks in the fresh air mainly. Sure, if you’re already in good shape – as you are – then riding a bike is going to be no biggie. But, rather than feeling like you have to (which, I guess, if why it’s contributing to you being down), do what suits you. Even if it’s the proverbial ride down the canal in regular (non-cycling) clothes and without a helmet – believe me, it makes you feel more like a normal person!

I reckon you should leave the bike alone for a while. It/they will still be there when you feel like it again. Just some other, non-stressful (to you) activity would suit you fine. While she was off work, Mrs North picked up her passion for baking in a big way. I’m still trying to work off the effects now…. 🙂

2hottie
    Free Member

mrsflash don’t give up as your one of the pretty mtb’ers!

Ride on your own for a while, I am at the mo an can ride how I want to and as fast as I’d like to.

Good luck,

2Hottie

mogrim

Dare you admit that on here mogrim??

Ah, the safety of the internet 🙂

Seriously though, if you prefer running why force yourself to go biking? I still go out every now and then, and still enjoy it, but somehow running is ATM more fun – I think it’s the fact that I’ve done some exercise, as least as much as riding, but in less time, so I don’t get stressed out thinking I should be doing something else.

juan
    Free Member

well one is said claire and the other clare that’s easy 😉 but I am not sure it helps 😀

domino

If you fancy a relaxed no pressure ride without Rich then give me a shout. I am not one for riding in big groups and am certainly not fast so maybe that would be more relaxing?

Good luck with finding something if thats what you need, running or horseriding, my friend rides (and recently loaned a horse) and it has most definately improved her mind and body. She was so stressed with things at work, breaking down, and quite on edge all the time etc. Horse riding has really taken her mind off it and given her something else to focus on, it has really made her much more positive.

Take care.

mrsflash
    Free Member

OMINT I’ve been on fluoxetine twice before, but never citalopram. The doc said the side effects can be a bit nasty at first though so am a bit nervous about that, but he also said you can feel the benefits more quickly than fluoxetine. He seemed to be implying the waiting list for the referral wasn’t too bad, I need to ring tomorrow so I should know then.

I suppose a lot of this is frustration – I know in my head that cycling should be making me feel better, it always has in the past. But for some reason I’m not getting the benefits on the rides I do go on, so I’m just getting the downsides of the stress and pressure I’m putting on myself.

mrsflash
    Free Member

Domino yes I think that would be really good (in fact Rich suggested such a thing at lunchtime today), it’s silly we have never ridden together before really as you’re only down the road.

oldgit
    Free Member

Probably easier said than done, but try and take a step back from riding the way you are. There’s often an easier route or people that just go a bit easier to go out with.
    I’ve been all over the place with this, I can pin my first serious ride, a race to 1972. Since then I’ve seen friends come and go, peoples lives change in all manners, I’ve raced, I’ve chilled, I’ve gone from thin to fat though sadly not back again, I’ve even come close to fisticuffs with my buddies, I’ve kicked helmets into orbit and smashed bikes against trees (blamed Brant for a faulty frame then???) but it’s always been worth staying with.
    The only occassion I gave up totally and started drinking and smoking was after a very good year when I’d completed a full ironman, the Snowdon Marathon and road raced and TT’d and ran 1/2 marathons week in week out, I felt I needed a rest, which I took for two years.

yoshimi

Mrs F- I wouldn’t ‘give up’ but maybe just leave it alone for a while, something you know will be there ready and waiting with open arms when you’re up for it again. As for your pace or lack of it, there’s always room for a slow one at the back of an STW ride with me:) take care

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

It’s not a religion, or even a lifestyle. Don’t worry about it. But try to find a substitute to stay fit and healthy.

Or get a Tandem MTB and have shared near-death experiences on a regular basis.

ourmaninthenorth

The doc said the side effects can be a bit nasty at first though so am a bit nervous about that

I am by no means an expert, though I do understand that the side effects may be stronger with the likes of Seroxat and Citalopram than with Fluoxetine – does “half life” make sense?

Mrs North was made very ill by Seroxat – she couldn’t get out of bed for a month. Citalopram had no such effect, though she did get the “usual” side effects when starting up. These soon cleared (although some did linger).

I’m not sure, however, that the prospective side effects should cause you too much concern. It would be better to give them a try to see if you can work with them. If so, great. If not, don’t hesitate in telling the doc.

I’m with the others – do what makes you happy, not what you think you ought to be doing. It’s no doubt harder becuase you and GF are a kind of riding “couple” (everyone here holds you guys up as the perfect example of eating one’s cake and having it..!), but a bit of divergence and change in focus will do you the power of good. A change being as good as a rest and all that.

That said, I’m going to make Mrs North ride her bike(s) more often..!

postierich
    Free Member

Have a child !!!!!!

Ok it might be a bit if an extreme but certainly makes me an Sascha get out on our bikes in the fresh air visiting/camping as many places as possible!

Anyway hugs from me Sash and Immy even though we hardly know you and a pic to make you smile

mrsflash
    Free Member

Don’t worry I won’t let it put me off, things certainly can’t carry on as they are, just am remembering the constant queasyness on the fluoxetine 🙁 The doc wants to see me monthly anyway so I’m sure it will all get reviewed often enough.

anyway, thanks again everyone, once again STW has come up trumps when you need it to. My bikes are not going on the classifieds just yet 🙂

mrsflash
    Free Member

LOL postie I love that pic of Imogen! Will you be mayhemming this year?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 127 total)

The topic ‘Giving up?’ is closed to new replies.