Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Giving a frame to a friend, which one out of these two?
  • 2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Ok this is a basically a which one should I keep question, a friend needs a new frame & I have loads in the loft so I think it would be the right thing to give him one of my old ones, but out of the two below which one?

1 Cove Stiffee, the old round tube one, it’s had loads of use & has been powder coated at least twice, but I have a lot of fond memories of that bike, probably the most loved out of all the bikes I have owned!

2, Charge duster skinny, I built it but never used it as I prefure the 29er as a hardtail.

I think that if I give him the Cove (I deliberately didn’t say Stiffee) then I would regret it, but then the Charge would be saleable should I feel the need to raise a few quid, so what would you do ?
    Cheers.

amedias
    Free Member

what is he going to use it for?

they’re quite differnt frames, the Duster is a 100mm max XC/singletrack cruiser, the Stiffee is a bit more of a hooligan and will take a longer fork and more aggressive riding.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Funny as the Stiffee will take an 80mm fork, the duster needs 100mm really 🙂

Stiggy

From the way you describe them I’d keep the Cove, especially as you say you loved it more than any of your others. Sod the money value!

ctk
    Free Member

Keep the Cove! 8)

andyl
    Free Member

Sounds like you want to keep the Cove.

What else have you got?

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Sounds like you want to keep the Cove.

What else have you got?

Hmmm, nothing less valuable, a Pipedream Ti, Viper 29er, Turner Burner, Azonic propulsion, Azonic jump frame I can’t remember the name of, I need to check what else 😉

cookeaa

If you have a soft spot for the Cove hold onto it, a free duster would be an extremely kind offer, view it as an investment in having a riding buddy/grateful mate rather than a simple financial choice…

andyl
    Free Member

How much is the Charge frame worth? Is he/she a good mate and are they one of those people who tends to trash stuff so you will feel let down when you see it getting treated as though they don’t care? (irritating when you give someone something you’e kept nice and they trash it without a second thought)

drewd

If the Duster suits his needs give him that. I’ve got one of the original ones (non skinny) that I bought as a full bike off eBay in January this year. I really like the bike as it suits the riding I do, but the complete bike with dated but usable kit (Mavic EN321 rims on Deore hubs, Magura air fork and 3×9 XT) was only £250. It needed a service but they don’t seem to be worth much as the geometry is too old school and the frame has a straight head tube, plus no one wants to buy 26ers any more.

It sounds like you really want to keep the Cove, and it is doubtful the Duster will increase in value any time soon. If it would do a mate a good turn I’d let him have it.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

The way I looked at it was that the Charge would be worth about £100 if I sold it, the cove virtually worthless with the amount of wear it has had, I am emotionally attached to the cove but I doubt I would build it up again & use it, but I might hang it on the wall & smile about it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Giving a frame to a friend, which one out of these two?’ is closed to new replies.