Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Giving 110% – thoughts?
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

The boys done good today and gave 110%

The two aspects of football parlance that drive me mad.

JY – depends on measure averaged used doesn’t it?

canibearaindogtoo
    Free Member

atlaz

Also, it’s a stupid saying and anyone who says it to me in interviews doesn’t get the job. Unless they’re exceptional elsewhere.

So what you’re saying is that unless they’re good enough for the job you won’t give them the job? 110% right!!!

It’s just a turn of phrase and at the end of the day i’m thrilled to bits that we done what we came here to do. Now the ‘literally’ thing i’m with you on…

alpin

but yes, 110% is stupid when people are refering to something that physically cannot be more than 100%, such as effort…

boils my piss

So 110% is silly because it can’t happen…

CaptJon
    Free Member

I get paid to work 37 hours a week, but frequently end up doing 50 hours. That is giving 135%.

zokes
    Free Member

CaptJon – Member
    I get paid to work 37 hours a week, but frequently end up doing 50 hours. That is giving 135%.

Now you mention it….. THIS! +110 (%)

hugor
    Free Member

Don’t like giving 110%. Its too damn tiring.
    I like to cruise betweeen 60 and 70%.
    Its good to have something in reserve.

CaptJon
    Free Member

A footballer – a full back for example – in a usual match might run 10km, make 10 tackles, pass 50 times and burn 1000 kcal. In a particularly tough match those figures could increase 10%. Is that giving 110%?

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Im finding it hard to give a **** at present, let alone an extra 10%

kayak23

A footballer – a full back for example – in a usual match might run 10km, make 10 tackles, pass 50 times and burn 1000 kcal. In a particularly tough match those figures could increase 10%. Is that giving 110%?

No, its just a different amount of effort. Had he given 100% of his capability in the first match, and then the 2nd match required an extra 10% effort more than he was capable of, then he would not have been able to give that level and so would have had a heart attack and died….probably.

joao3v16
    Free Member

I get paid to work 37 hours a week, but frequently end up doing 50 hours. That is giving 135%

Nah, it’s just giving 100% for longer.

If you were doing 50 hours work in 37 hours, that would be ‘giving 135%’.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Tests have proven that cyclists and other athletes can give >102% of their perceived maximum.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Only if you trick them.

69er
    Free Member

If giving 100% is your absolute maximum possible effort(that’s my understanding of a definition of giving 100%) then any more effort would result in death 😯 .

Which is a fair outcome for anyone claiming to have given any increment over 100%.

dabble
    Free Member

100% by definition is the maximum of the percentile scale, cent=100, not 110 or 300, just 100, so reachng 100 in the percentile scale means you have 100%, full up, cant get no more in. Unless your the makers of pepperami which has 115% meat products, meaning they fill it wi meat (100%), then cram a bit more in (115%)
    It is a stupid, nonsensical turn of phrase coined and repeated by pillocks. And if your doing something in 20seconds one day then you do it in 18 the next does not mean your giving 110%, you have just increased the amount you can do before you reach 100% and max out (or you werent trying hard enough before). Come on people, pull your fingers out and use 100% of your grey matter.

nealglover
    Free Member

You can’t get more than 100%…..

Maths fail.

Not in the context of the phrase widely used I’d say, as in effort given.

You can certainly get more than 100% (as in the quote)

It is debatable wether you can give more than 100% (effort)

ourmaninthenorth

the 50%er just cruises all day without caring, don’t give a toss about the one giving it the 100% beans to keep up

The 100% should give it up as a bad job and accept that talent always outweighs effort.

OMITN (one of life’s 50%ers)

zokes
    Free Member

…and repeated by pillocks. And if youre doing…

😉

iDave
    Free Member

You can certainly get more than 100% (as in the quote)

It is debatable wether you can give more than 100% (effort)

Who do you get the 110% from, if no one can give 110%?

firestarter
    Free Member

I like to give 80% just incase I need more but pull a face like I’m giving 110% it was a lesson learnt early on in my army career and has served me well ever since 😉

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Giving 110% – thoughts?’ is closed to new replies.