Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Giving 110% – thoughts?
  • SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Can you give 110% as many people in many sports claim to do or witness?

convert

Only if you don’t now what 100% truly feels like.

AdamT

I give 110% of my salary to chainreaction most years…..does that count?

brakes
    Free Member

it’s just a relative amount.
    it would be false to say “I gave 110% of the maximum I can give”, but you could give 110% of what you’d ordinarily give.
    it just means they were trying that little bit harder.

brooess
    Free Member

it never fails to amaze me how people will use words/expressions without first making sure they understand them/work out if they make any sense…

kayak23

You can’t get more than 100%…. The use of the phrase 110% is wrong and highly annoying. I suggest the use of a traditional swearword such as @@@@to punctuate and add emphasis to the sentence.

Garry_Lager

Bolton gave 110% today I thought 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

Think you can but not when you decide

110% comes outnwhen. Yur runningon pure adreanlin !

plop_pants
    Free Member

only if you do drugs.

Hadge
    Free Member

So if you supply a customer with 100 items they ask for, that’s 100%. If you gave them 110 items what does that equate to then? Er 110% So you CAN give more than 100% 😀

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Garry_Lager – They didnt have to. Liverpool gave around 8%.

gingerss
    Free Member

At work we are expected to give 110%, which of course doesn’t make sense. As such I assume it to mean 110% of a normal contribution, so apathy + 10% = mild motivation. I can live with that.

hels
    Free Member

Only if you are a pathetic weakling.

I always give infinity % !! Grrrrrr !!!

steve_b77
    Free Member

It’s a term coined by retards (football managers, “talent show” judges etc) to make it seem like they’re doing more than is expected of them or their subjects

alpin
    Free Member

i’ll apologise now for this crappy email that i recieved a few weeks back….

What Makes 100%?

What does it mean to give MORE than 100%?

Ever wonder about those people who say they are giving more than 100%? We have all been to those meetings where someone wants you to give over 100%.

How about achieving 103%?

What makes up 100% in life?

Here’s a little mathematical formula that might help you answer these questions:

If:
    A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Is represented as:
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26.

Then:

H-A-R-D-W-O-R-K
    8+1+18+4+23+15+18+11 =98%

And

K-N-O-W-L-E-D-G-E
    11+14+15+23+12+5+4+7+5 = 96%

But ,

A-T-T-I-T-U-D-E
    1+20+20+9+20+21+4+5 =100%

And,

B-U-L-L-S-H-I-T
    2+21+12+12+19+8+9+20 =103%

AND, look how far ass kissing will take you.

A-S-S-K-I-S-S-I-N-G
    1+19+19+11+9+19+19+9+14+7 = 118%

So, one can conclude with mathematical certainty, that while Hard work and Knowledge will get you close, and Attitude will get you there, its the Bullshit and Ass Kissing that will put you over the top.
    Now you know why some people are where they are!

alpin
    Free Member

but yes, 110% is stupid when people are refering to something that physically cannot be more than 100%, such as effort…

boils my piss…

aracer
    Free Member

A volume knob going to 11 gives 110%

steve_b77
    Free Member

only if calibrated in 10% steps

mudshark
    Free Member

only if calibrated in 10% steps

Ha ha, that line didn’t make it into the final cut….

Eyepic
    Free Member

Sorry folks … I think you can give 110%

If 100 is you maximum sustainable effort, then for short periods you could give 110%… of course there would be some payback.

IanMunro
    Free Member

You’re all lightweights. I give 115% effort 120% of the time.

brooess
    Free Member

This thread is 110% silly

Northwind

If 100% is your previous best then you can give 110%. If 100% is the best you can ever do, then you can’t. Simples.

Junkyard
    Free Member

everyone knows you cannot really do this and yet everyone knows what it means
    Language is a wonderful thing.

TBH it annoys me more when people complain that 50% are below average

rickmeister

A volume knob going to 11 gives 110%

Not so… if it goes to 11 then 11 will be 100%… it needs to be a likkle bit more than 11, say 12.1…

Kevevs
    Free Member

Isn’t it relative? what if someone is giving their all to keep up with someone languidly cruising on 50%, and the 50%er just cruises all day without caring, don’t give a toss about the one giving it the 100% beans to keep up. Personally, I’d mark down the 50%er to 30% and give it to the 100%er to 120%. That’s totally logical in my mind. 30% haha what a loser!

Junkyard
    Free Member

The gains of an amp would be measured in decibels and this is a logarithmic scale so 11 would be much more that 110%…I may be overthinking this

zokes
    Free Member

Garry_Lager – Member
    Bolton gave 110% today I thought

😆

nealglover
    Free Member

You can’t get more than 100%…..

Maths fail.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I reckon I can give 112% sometimes, only for very short periods of time though and normally followed by me only being able to give 60% thereafter, usually for a lot longer than I gave my 112%. Generally then its not worth the effort and I sit at 65% for everything these days. 😀

kayak23

You can’t get more than 100%…..

Maths fail.

Not in the context of the phrase widely used I’d say, as in effort given.

TooTall
    Free Member

It depends what your 100% is.

If you de-rate yourself and your normal 100% is 80% of your capability, then if you push yourself to 100% of your personal capability, your output would be 120%. A bit like de-rating an engine and knowing it can go beyond 100%.

Or you are just being anal about a turn of phrase.

kayak23

Or you are just being anal about a turn of phrase

Yes 🙂

kayak23

It depends what your 100% is. If you de-rate yourself and your normal 100% is 80% of your capability, then if you push yourself to 100% of your personal capability, your output would be 120%. A bit like de-rating an engine and knowing it can go beyond 100%.

Oh I see. So if you give a certain effort but PRETEND that it’s 100% and then sneakily give a bit more that you forgot to mention you had, then that’s 120%?
    🙂

pebblebeach
    Free Member

**** stupid expression and one of my most hated. You can give 10% more than someone expects but a person cant give a 110% contribution in effort.

higgo
    Free Member

**** stupid expression and one of my most hated. You can give 10% more than someone expects but a person cant give a 110% contribution in effort.

Of course they can, depending on what you define as 100%.

But, as someone above said, it’s just a phrase.
    If people can be ‘on fire’, ‘on top of the world’ etc, then I’m quite happy for them to give 110%

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

My boss expects 110% but doesn’t pay it. He can shove his 110%.

richmars

Why 110%?
    Why not 150%, or 200% or 100000000000%?

Just a stupid expression.

atlaz
    Free Member

Anyone who says to me “I’m giving 110% today” I usually just think that they’ve been slacking before. That 110% (as you put it) is actually your 100% so you’ve been short changing everyone when you’ve said you’re at 100% but really you’re not.

Also, it’s a stupid saying and anyone who says it to me in interviews doesn’t get the job. Unless they’re exceptional elsewhere. Likewise with incorrect use of the word “literally” but that’s another thread entirely.

daveh
    Free Member

This usually has the consequence of me shouting at the tele.

You could of course just do something for longer, as in I gave 110% during that 100m sprint which is why I was 1 second slower.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Giving 110% – thoughts?’ is closed to new replies.