Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Give your dogs an extra hug today.
  • phil5556

Arriving home from nightshift this morning I see an odd sight on the grass next to the beach, 2 guys looking like they’re holding a dog down.

I stopped to see what was going on and if they needed anything, just in time to see the owner pull a ball from the back of it’s throat. I helped to find which emergency vet to take him to, but it was too late so we didn’t go. We just helped him get the poor thing home.

I feel awful for the owner, he was in shock but obviously really upset. I felt a bit helpless.

I’m home now and my crazy hound is getting extra hugs & head scratches today.

Sorry, I just needed to get that out, I’ve told my dog about it but I’m not sure he understands.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

I’d give away everything I own to have my dog back, I feel that guys pain. 😐

johnw1984
    Free Member

Yep…

We had 2 dogs (our first in our own home). Charlie had to be put to sleep Thursday night just gone (suspected Lymphoma). He’d been a bit under the weather for a week, so vet checked him over when he went for his booster.

Follow on this week, I came home from work and he couldn’t get off the couch, breathing heavily etc.

Carried him to car and rushed him to the vets where they did bloods and saw his white blood cells were sky high. Gave him steroids and left him with the vet. They phoned us just before midnight saying he didn’t have long.

I had to decide on the phone to let him go. At 36 years old, it’s the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do and I don’t think I’ve ever sobbed as much…

Daisy is getting a lot of attention and pictures taken now.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Also – never ever leave your dog alone at home with a ball to play with 🙁

onehundredthidiot

Friend walking vislas last night and one went after a deer. Several hours later he was returning home for dry clothes and others heading out with quad bike. Passed the dog trotting down a track. She might be suffering a bit of over attention at the moment.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Bumped into someone while walking Bella who told the tale of a mother of pups who got a half eaten sharing bag of crisps off the counter and suffocated when she couldn’t get her nose out of the bag.

Never take your dog for granted.

Never leave open packets of crisps uneaten either.

oakleymuppet
    Free Member

Fitzpatrick who fixed my Bedlingtons broken leg in July, had his dog run over by a speeding delivery van in September whilst walking it outside the clinic on the lead. It’s still in critical care.

Feel really sorry for the bloke, couldn’t have happened to a nicer person.

TiRed

Well sadly my four year old spaniel is currently enjoying her last days. Cancer doesn’t even spare the dog in my family 🙁

oakleymuppet
    Free Member

That’s unfortunate in such a young dog TiRed, one of ours had a supposedly inoperable malignant tumour at 13 but ended up undergoing experimental surgery at RVC Cambridge and lived an active life for another two years.

Any second opinions?

TiRed

Every mammal needs a liver. Histiocytic liver sarcoma is never going to end well I am sad to say.

mrwhyte
    Free Member

So sorry TiRed. We recently lost our boxer, Wallis to cancer. A rescue who we had the pleasure of rehoming for 3 years. He was my best mate and I miss him dearly. All you can do TiRed is make him feel comfortable and loved and make the most of them. Sending virtual hugs to you and your family.

I would give anything to give Wallis a cuddle right now.

phil5556

Sorry I’ve not been back on here, I’ve not stopped thinking about it though. When I arrived I didn’t get involved with the dog & I just did what the owner asked which was giving him a lift for his car and finding a vet, I keep thinking I could have done more. Or what if I’d been there 5 minutes sooner. The reality is probably nothing, but it’s affected me quite a lot.

I’d give away everything I own to have my dog back, I feel that guys pain. 😐

🙁
    I’m really not looking forward to the day. You just have to remember that you gave him his best life possible 🙂

Yep…

We had 2 dogs (our first in our own home). Charlie had to be put to sleep Thursday night just gone (suspected Lymphoma).

Really sorry to read this 🙁

Also – never ever leave your dog alone at home with a ball to play with 🙁

Mine doesn’t because he strips them bald if he’s left with them. One of the dogs in our street used to carry golf balls and occasionally drop them and my Cocker would pick them up, very pleased with himself. I don’t think I’m ever going to let him play with balls that small again.

Friend walking vislas last night and one went after a deer. Several hours later he was returning home for dry clothes and others heading out with quad bike. Passed the dog trotting down a track. She might be suffering a bit of over attention at the moment.

Fantastic that they found her pretty quickly!

Bumped into someone while walking Bella who told the tale of a mother of pups who got a half eaten sharing bag of crisps off the counter and suffocated when she couldn’t get her nose out of the bag.

That’s crazy! 🙁

Fitzpatrick who fixed my Bedlingtons broken leg in July, had his dog run over by a speeding delivery van in September whilst walking it outside the clinic on the lead. It’s still in critical care.

I get very emotional watching the Supervet, are you going to be on TV? I hope his/her leg has healed OK.
    That’s awful, at least he’s the right person to fix him up.

Well sadly my four year old spaniel is currently enjoying her last days. Cancer doesn’t even spare the dog in my family 🙁

Oh no, so sorry @TiRed . Make the most of the rest of his time with you. Lots of treats & hugs!

stanfree
    Free Member

I lost my Chocky lab nearly 4 years ago now and I knew his spine was pretty knackered a couple of years before he went. I made a conscious effort to pretty much shower him with love every day . If I came home from work I’d welcome him like he’d been away for 6 months like he did to me every day from about the age of 1.
    I’ve never greived for anyone or anything like I did that dog and would give anything for another day.
    I’ve got a shug now half pug half Shitzu and he is the polar opposite but in a good way. He is actually more loving but a wee lap dog who just cuddles you every minute your home . Dogs are really the best things in life so much better than people to be honest , no bullshit just honest feelings.
    Treasure them and keep them safe.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Give your dogs an extra hug today.’ is closed to new replies.