Give us your song that takes you right back to school discos!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Give us your song that takes you right back to school discos!
  • Premier Icon kayak23
    Subscriber

Six Music are playing mine just now.

One play of this and I’m back there. Not sure if that’s good or not… 🙂

Obviously this thread dates me…

tjagain

Hi ho silver lining – jeff beck
    silver machine – Hawkwind

always played at school discos.

Final countdown. Mr sparks, the maths teacher DJing, he only had about 6 records so this one got some heavy rotation.

Spud

Highway to Hell, AC/DC. Only ever went to school discos when in Oz and it seemed we always rocked out.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Obviously this thread dates me…

Yeah, as a nipper!

This one reminds me of us lads at the back wall in our DMs nodding our heads

Premier Icon sandwicheater
    Subscriber

Reef – Lay your hands

Premier Icon jeffl
    Subscriber

Another vote for the Final Countdown. Similarly Mr Bird always used to play this as the last song.

johndoh

Youth Club was Hey Mickey by Toni Basil (I played it as my first song each time I was DJ because my name is Mike)

School was Liberator by Spear of Destiny

Premier Icon slowoldman
    Subscriber

Sounds like tjagain and I were at school around the same time.

IHN

“Walk like an ee-jipp-shunnnnn”

Premier Icon funkmasterp
    Subscriber

Walk of Life by Dire Straits or that song where all the girls sat on the floor, rocked back and forth and slapped the floor at either side. Something by Black Lace, probably.

Premier Icon bikebouy
    Subscriber

Can’t quite remember if this was the last year of school, but it was on when Lisa and I got it “on” (see the school days thread)

Awesome song, still play it and that era stuff 👍

Stomp -The Brothers Johnson

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

Can we have a go at guessing everyones exact age from these then? Heres mine:

Premier Icon kiwijohn
    Subscriber

Before Underworld got cool

Premier Icon theotherjonv
    Subscriber

Tainted Love, New Years Day and Ziggy Stardust (Bauhaus version) were guaranteed floor fillers for the cool kids at the school disco.

We were banned from having What Difference Does it Make for the mini mosh pit it created, and when someone managed to sneak Destination Zululand on to the turntables – well

Careless Whisper was the end of night slow dance (the ‘erection section’) along with teachers with torches checking for pelvicular separation.

Later on at University and the Indie night at the Union, the floor filler for some reason was Jeane by the Smiths – relatively little known B-side to This Charming Man but a live favourite. And still one of my Desert Island Discs for that reason.

Premier Icon bikebouy
    Subscriber

You don’t have to be a rocket scientist to figure out within a couple of years what age we all are…

🤣🥳🥳🤯

Premier Icon kiwijohn
    Subscriber

How do you post a flipping youtube link? Who made everything so stupidly complicated.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Can we have a go at guessing everyones exact age from these then? Heres mine:

I’d say about 5 years younger than me (so 49-50), as I was working by the time that came out!

(@kiwijohn – yt links are simple as now, just paste the url or short url with no tags)

Premier Icon kiwijohn
    Subscriber

Is it this simple?
    FFS!

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

Bang on Dezzy Baby! 49 in a few weeks. And my first gig (when I was 16) at Manchester Apollo. Still one of the best gigs I’ve ever been to 😀

Remember it was an explosion of genres, ska, punk, new wave, new romantic, electronic, mod, nwobhm, and whatever you’d have called Adam and the Ants (shite). This all reminds me of a girl I kind of fancied at school (but neither of us had shown any interest, both the shy types) She looked sort of like the blonde one out of the human league.

School was over for us in 1983 anyway, but she mysteriously appeared on our doorstep one day shortly after the school-leaving disco. Mom shouts up the stairs ‘MR, there’s a red indian at the door for you!’ I peered down out of my bedroom window to see a cute girl in a tube-skirt with a white stripe across her nose, she was turning quickly away from our front door. She seemed embarrassed and was now walking away pretty-fast. Hey, it’s Julie? wth? Thanks a LOT mom. Oh ffs. Never did find out what it was that the Ant Girl wanted? 🤡<—- this is me.

At most school discos I lived for Motorhead’s ‘Ace of Spades’ or ‘Bomber’. But tonight, Matthew, I’ll be The Human League, with some ‘Love Action’

Premier Icon lovewookie
    Subscriber

Not disco’s, they were always a bit rubbish, but How soon is now? and the Siteres of mercy – this corrosion always tale me back to the very early 90’s and The Morgan pub in Malvern.
    it was always a toss up, the Nags Head for wall to wall AC/DC and Ace of Spades, or a flit up to The Morgan, where they had a video jukebox which seemed to contantly rotate the smiths or the sisters of mercy. Oh and occasionally nirvana..

hodgynd

Binners ..saw them at Whitley Bay Ice Rink ..still class that as one of the wildest gigs I’ve been too ..you can however stick another 13 years on top of your age for myself …

Premier Icon Caher
    Subscriber

Oops upside your head: floor dancing was the way to go.

hodgynd

@bikebouy…not bad ..but always thought Strawberry Letter 23..was their best track ..I was well away from school discos by then mind ..

Premier Icon MSP
    Subscriber

Ballroom blitz, still going strong and dance floor packer at our youth disco in the mid 80’s

It is so much better listening than watching the campness of glam rockers actually perform the song.

edlong

In case anyone wanted to confirm that my school days were drawing to close in the early 90s, here are some that I remember being regular fixtures on the playlist:

johnx2

Middle School – this one got the boys up on the floor. Varied but predictable outcomes…

For some reason, I remember Primary school discos more than Secondary. The music was definitely not as cool as some of the choices above.
    Careless whisper accompanied by sitting awkwardly at the side of the dance floor has to be my ibiding memory.
    <iframe width=”560″ height=”315″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/izGwDsrQ1eQ&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allow=”accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture” allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Also watching other kids trying to break dance or (usually a weird kid) doing the moonwalk.

Edukator

Preddy Vayyycunt, Sheena is a Punk Rocker and I’m not in Love, I remember from the 1977 Christmas disco. Tight jeans and a black and white striped blouse too. Are we allowed to talk about 17 year olds without bringing the Internet crashing down on our heads?

If Bikebouy makes a vid of himself playing his choice I’ll post myself doing Pretty Vacant. 🙂 I did it in club recently, the house drummer loved it, the audience loved it, the club owner was less than impressed (it’s a place where the set list you’re supposed to choose form is 80% R&B classics and there’s nothing more recent than 1980).

Premier Icon timbog160
    Subscriber

Steven ‘Tintin’ Duffy!

TiRed

Median age is about 49-50 isn’t it?

Relax, of course.

emsz

OMG, sometimes this comes on the radio, and I HAVE to dance about, because y’know…and remember, girls just want cars and money…

kjcc25

The Equals – Baby come back
    We didn’t have many discos at school, in fact I can only think of one and this was played all the time.

Teaching college – Rod Stewart – Maggie May
    Alice Cooper – School’s out

Premier Icon jimmy
    Subscriber

aside from edlong’s selection which I’d go with, when I think of school disco Whigfield always comes to mind. It was

right

at the end of school for me but if it snook it before I left it would explain the nostalgic emotional burst every time I hear it.

CraigW

Good Riddance.

niksnr

Hahaha. Haven’t thought about school disco’s for quite a long time. Don’t know why but Frankie by Sister Sledge and Boys, Boys, Boys by Sabrina are springing to mind!

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

that song where all the girls sat on the floor, rocked back and forth and slapped the floor at either side.

That would be this:

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.