• This topic has 131 replies, 52 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by kilo.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 132 total)
  • Give me some examples of business daftness that is so daft it shouldn’t exist…
  • tomhoward

But also… The asda 24 next to manchester velodrome opens like 11am to 5pm on sundays. Which really **** up our plans off stocking up before heading home.

I witnessed a full blooded, shouting rant from a chap in Asda in Harrogate a few years ago about how they had a closing time on a Saturday night. Not really sure what his point/gripe was, but the customer service guy basically said the store is open 24 hours a day, just not every day.

theotherjonv

more train ticket oddity; when pricing up a trip from London to Durham one time, there was a promotional cities away days poster nearby including Edinburgh. The ticket for KX-ED was cheaper than KX-DUR.

The daft bit being that the ED train stopped in Durham but the bloke at the ticket window told me I couldn’t get off at Durham and that if I bought a ticket to Edinburgh I had to go there.

Visions of a GNER guard frogmarching me back to the train…….

racefaceec90

that peloton exercise bike company.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

So I follow the tracking link, hoping to discover where it is – it says “An update will not be provided until we have attempted to deliver your item” – what use is that, if they’ve attempted to deliver it they’ve rung the doorbell so the tracking won’t tell me anything

Signed for. It won’t get scanned anywhere in the system between him dropping it off at the counter and you getting it. Costs 50p on top of the postage. Actual tracking costs quite a bit more

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

This forum.

I’ve got my P and it still doesn’t work even as well as the old hamster powered pre-hack one!

matt_outandabout

outofbreath
    Free Member

Called my mortgage provider to offer them the chance to price match. They were adamant they don’t pricematch but agreed to get a guy to give me a call about it.

The guy called later and started the conversation by making it clear they don’t pricematch.

However, what they *were* willing to do was to reduce the cost of their product to the point where it was the same as the product I’d been offered.

Obvs, I would have preferred them to price match, but I was happy with that compromise. 🙂

easily
    Free Member
    Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

An above mentioned organisation spending BILLIONS on a state of the art new Telecoms network that is so out of date BT stopped using to in the 90’s.

The same then spent £3000000 on replacing defective standby batteries because the above project failed to power up the chargers and aircon the rooms they were installed in so the batteries spent 3 yrs baking and freezing in unpowered rooms.

I could go on, but the sums we’ve squandered are nothing compared to the F-35 and its under defended carriers

hodgynd
    Free Member

Mike Ashley

Drac

Keeping Raybanwomble on the forum.

joeegg
    Free Member

Not business but local govt. I was selling a caravan in Spain,and because it was over 750kg it had its own registration plate.We had a solicitor type of person to handle the sale because its not as straightforward as here. She asked me for proof that i’d paid the road tax to the local council before the sale goes through.I said caravans don’t have road tax.which she knew,but insisted i get proof that i hadn’t paid anything.
    So it was off to the local council offices where a bill was printed out in my name with the amount zero on it.

Watty

BT

X one billion.

Kahurangi

This forum. I’ve got my P and it still doesn’t work even as well as the old hamster powered pre-hack one!

I’ll give the admins a nudge and get you an invite sent to the P-only forum.

maccruiskeen

the asda 24 next to manchester velodrome opens like 11am to 5pm on sundays

Living in Scotland I get caught out by quaint English Sunday trading when I’m travelling. Working in York I popped into a 24 Hour Tesco on my way into work on a Sunday morning.

Trundled round, filled my basket, headed to the checkout….. ‘Sorry sir you can’t buy those until 10am’ – that was more than an hour away.

Seemingly although they can only sell between fixed hours on a Sunday but the shop was open anyway ‘so that people can look around’ and what was weird was… loads of people were. There must have been at least 100 people happily milling around a supermarket that wasn’t selling anything.

DezB
    Free Member

matt_outandabout

beryl….

That is quite astounding.

dashed
    Free Member

but the shop was open anyway ‘so that people can look around’ and what was weird was… loads of people were. There must have been at least 100 people happily milling around a supermarket that wasn’t selling anything.

I remember popping into the 24hr Asda in Hulme straight from the maternity ward after our little one was born and we needed some smaller baby clothes. It was about 1am on a mid-week morning and there were loads of groups of lads just wandering around. No shopping, just wandering around chatting in the way you’d go for a sunday afternoon walk in the countryside!

johndoh
    Free Member

Currently waiting for a DHL delivery. It was meant to be delivered between 8.08am and 9.08am. Got a message at 9.25am saying Your DHL Parcel UK driver is delayed in getting to you, but we do expect to be with you later today.

Let’s see how this goes…

DezB
    Free Member

Drac

Keeping Raybanwomble on the forum.

and a few others I could mention (but won’t)!

martymac

Johndoh, i had exactly that yesterday from dhl.
    The guy turned up less than half an hour late, but the poor **** looked like he’d been half drowned.
    I’ll emphasise that he did turn up.

johnners
    Free Member

Living in Scotland I get caught out by quaint English Sunday trading when I’m travelling.

I get caught out by the quaint Scottish alcohol sales laws. I’ll be in a supermarket in the morning stocking up for a camping trip but any alcohol sales can’t go through until 10?

Greybeard
    Free Member

Signed for. It won’t get scanned anywhere in the system between him dropping it off at the counter and you getting it. Costs 50p on top of the postage. Actual tracking costs quite a bit more

Thanks. That explains it. But it would be clearer if they didn’t allocate a tracking number in that case. Also better if, having said they would deliver on Monday, actually did deliver on Monday.

mariner
    Free Member

Privatised utilities.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Trains – travelling from Glasgow to London a while ago, 1st class was £20 cheaper than 2nd class

Insurance – got a renewal notice for the van which included a £40 “renewal fee”. Called to ask why, surely it’s less work for them this year as they have the details and nothing’s changed. Not prepared to move on it – ok, bye then

brant
    Free Member

more train ticket oddity; when pricing up a trip from London to Durham one time, there was a promotional cities away days poster nearby including Edinburgh. The ticket for KX-ED was cheaper than KX-DUR.

The daft bit being that the ED train stopped in Durham but the bloke at the ticket window told me I couldn’t get off at Durham and that if I bought a ticket to Edinburgh I had to go there.

Visions of a GNER guard frogmarching me back to the train…….

Or an £155 fine.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-11420790

PJay
    Free Member

The BBC; I have to pay them for the privilege of watching someone else’s content.

duckman

What was the point of that raybanwomble? If C-G’s experiences with Lymes gets one person to take a target bite to their GP then fair play to her.

tjagain

Rayban has to prove himself superior – and he was actually proved wrong on lyme anyway as NICE has updated its guidence in the light of new data.

Northwind

joshvegas

I can’t think of an asda near you?!

This is the livingston one, it’s just down the road. There’s another one nearer in Slateford but it takes longer to get to

precutduck
    Free Member

It was a few years back now, getting towards 10, but my car broke down. I smartly had no breakdown cover, so I give the AA a call, They wanted some ridiculous amount for the years membership (I know! It’s prime supply and demand, so they can charge what they want).
    Instead I went on their website on my phone, and purchased membership for almost a third of the price they quoted on the phone, and had a driver with my just as quickly.
    I’m sure they’ve realised this now, unless they still prey on the people that panic and phone.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Rayban has to prove himself superior – and he was actually proved wrong on lyme anyway as NICE has updated its guidence in the light of new data.

They added an extra round of 28 days of antibiotics for people who still showed symptoms.

However, low and behold – there’s still loads of people complaining all over the web that they’ve still got it and want it for even longer.

Besides that – the decision to give the option for four week and second rounds appears to be based on risk management as opposed to clear evidence that it works.

The committee considered evidence from the PLEASE trial to be particularly relevant when
    developing clinical recommendations for people with ongoing symptoms related to Lyme
    disease. In the study, all participants received open-label intravenous ceftriaxone for 2 weeks
    followed by their randomly assigned study drug; 12 weeks of oral doxycycline, 12 weeks of
    oral clarithromycin, or 12 weeks of oral placebo. Although the PLEASE trial showed a quality
    of life improvement in all treatment arms, there was no difference between treatment arms.
    The committee considered that any quality of life improvements could be due to the initial 2-
    Lyme disease: management of ongoing symptoms
    Management (ongoing symptoms)
    © NICE 2018. All rights reserved. Subject to Notice of rights.
    week treatment of intravenous ceftriaxone with no clear additional benefit from long-term
    treatment with oral doxycycline or clarithromycin. To determine the effectiveness of long-term
    antibiotic treatment, study participants should have also been blinded to the intravenous
    ceftriaxone treatment, and a fourth treatment arm consisting of only placebo should have
    been introduced. The committee considered that the evidence did not provide support for
    long-term antibiotic treatment.

mooman
    Free Member

Taxing UK residents to enable one of the richest families in the UK to live in obscene luxury – and then charging the taxpayers money to go and see it for themselves.

tomhoward

then charging the taxpayers (And thousands of tourists from outside the UK) money to go and see it for themselves. (Thus creating a net benefit to the country)

FTFY.

mooman
    Free Member

omhoward

Subscriber
    then charging the taxpayers (And thousands of tourists from outside the UK) money to go and see it for themselves. (Thus creating a net benefit to the country)

FTFY.

So it is estimated by Royalists.

… but of course there is no actual proof that tourists wouldnt come to see Buckingham palace if the royals were there or not.

tomhoward

I don’t particularly care either way for the royals, I also assume that if there were no financial benefit to keeping them around, they’d have been pensioned/sold off years ago.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

And then the state would have to pay the entire cost of keeping their estates fit to bring in tourism. Because right now, I believe the royals fund at least some of the upkeep with their own personal wealth do they not?

bearnecessities

Have you been near my Hebe?

raybanwomble
    Free Member

No mate, I just shit in peoples pools and kitchens.

DezB
    Free Member

and forums

mooman
    Free Member

raybanwomble

And then the state would have to pay the entire cost of keeping their estates fit to bring in tourism. Because right now, I believe the royals fund at least some of the upkeep with their own personal wealth do they not?

No – not a penny of their own personal wealth … the Duchy`s are often said to be a private income, but look a bit closer and its clear its just assetts skimmed off a long time ago to secure the royals; Charles has generously volunteered to pay some tax on his earnings and the Queen pays some, but its never audited, so I guess who can really say/know if and what they pay is fair? .. and sovereign grants are pretty much tax money.

Why would the royals be so reluctant to disclose their costs if they had nothing to worry about – especially if they generate so much from tourism? unless tourists would go visits other great buildings with or without a King or Queen … France, Russia, etc …

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 132 total)

The topic ‘Give me some examples of business daftness that is so daft it shouldn’t exist…’ is closed to new replies.