Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Gisburn forest in the news…..oops
  • wwaswas

[whispers]

Michael Vandeman posted on that story.

[/whispers]

unklehomered
    Free Member

Oh god I just read the comments… that’s my faith in the human race destroyed for the day…

Stevelol
    Free Member

I don’t understand why so many people hurt themselves at Hully Gully :S

unklehomered
    Free Member

cos they can’t ride and they don’t control their speed…

philfive
    Free Member

waswas

who is he? if it’s who i think it is how has he posted on the lancashire telegraph?

philfive
    Free Member

steve

it’s poor riding, i have seen people chciken out of riding down the stone steps on homebaked but then hurtle down hully gully. as with every sport, they think because they jumped over a ramp when they were 24 means they can still do it when they get back on a bike at 40.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Michael Vandeman posted on that story.

😯 is he still around?! 😯 He was peddling his anti-bike stuff 15 years ago and the US-biased (as it was moreso then) net took him seriously, IIRC he was a member of the Sierra Club and they were worried he could really influence anti-biking attitudes.

What happens if you say his name 3 times?

History would suggest he’s failed! The internet is like a time warp, I had a nostalgic look at the Usenet bike sites recently and Jobst Brandt is still active there. Didnt see Keith Bontrager or Gary Helfrich posting but it might have been nice riding weather.

wwaswas

philfive – anti-mtb ‘campaigner’ who resorted to attacking cyclists when all else failed;

http://www.berkeleyside.com/tag/michael-j-vandeman/

butcher

The comments truly are depressing.

alex222
    Free Member

I don’t get why people hate mountain bikers/cyclists so much. it is very strange to hate people so much for no real reason.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

wwas, Ive just registered on the site and cross-posted your link in the reply thread so “ignorant” readers can make a balanced judgement.

unklehomered
    Free Member

But its been settled in US federal court, how dare Lancashire ignore the might and authority of the Federal Court on such matters…

🙄

billysugger
    Free Member

OUTRAGE!!

He didn’t look to have head injuries to me.

As for his current condition is unknown don’t bother trying to find out while you’re busy hammering the nails into Gisburn’s coffin will you.

I bet if there was a breakdown of funding to such services then the outraged might find we (as mtb’ers) contribute a decent amount to mountain rescue/air ambulance services.

themink FTW in the comments section.

Wonder how many small animals I’ve killed while out breaking the world?!

philfive
    Free Member

lol this paper covers Accrington, Burnley and blackburn areas. balanced judgement isn’t something they normally do 😀

fatboyslo
    Free Member

wwaswas – Member
    [whispers]

M****** V******* posted on that story.

[/whispers]

shudders at that name

even Lord Voldemorts name should be said allowed more than MVs

a name I had hoped had dissapeared but sadly no, it lives

Aristotle
    Free Member

Right-wing tabloids popular with angry (ignorant?) members of the middle-aged & older generations spout a hatred of cyclists (amongst many other ‘minority’ groups). Angry motorists stuck in traffic don’t like cyclists …especially if they ride through red lights.

Stevelol – Member

I don’t understand why so many people hurt themselves at Hully Gully :S

A lot of the people I see riding mtbs are not very good riders, I presumably don’t see the faster/more skilled ones ahead of me ….but I have to say that my fairly sociable, weekend-warrior-Dads riding chums and I are rarely overtaken, up or downhill, when we ride, trail centres or otherwise.

“Trail centres” are a double-edged sword, but are a good thing on the whole. Let’s hope that the council don’t read this newspaper.

ps. I’m not claiming to a riding god, I once crashed, broke my ribs and was rescued by a helicopter 🙂

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

Phil O’Brien, team leader of BPMR, said: “A lot of work is being done promoting the forest as an extreme mountain biking destination,….

extreme? Not so sure about that. Lazy journalism pandering to narrow minded bigots. As some of the comments on that link say:

1. No mention of benifits to local economy and public in general.

2. Lets charge sports people for treating injuries when they are, in part, keeping themsleves fit by staying active. Fine for the NHS to look after drunks bottling each other though.

Aristotle
    Free Member

Lazy journalism pandering to narrow minded bigots

Exactly.

The ‘extreme’ label is laughable, but does make something as easy as riding a bike sound more ‘gnarly’ to the masses, Dude …Or irresponsible, depending upon your viewpoint.

How many bicyclists have been hit/knocked off by cars on the roads of that newspaper’s Lancashire catchment area over the same period?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I think there is definately a very interesting academic piece of work that could be done around injuries at Trail Centres v Injuries on natural trails. The detailed would all be in the stats. I’m convinced that people approach trail type very differently.

Personally I think its a mixture of:

* Middle aged men riding bikes that are capable of more than they are.

* Trail centres are theme parks and people get an adrenaline high, and end up riding stuff they wouldnt normally consider.

* Trail centres have features you dont ride else where… I’ve never seen another Hully Gully any where (natural) so people have no clue how to ride it.

As to the cost of the NHS, to be fair Mrs FD (orthopaedic surgeon) does see more mtb injuries than she did 5 years ago, but this still doesn’t come close to the numbers of car accidents or drug/alcohol related injuries.

If like at Gisburn access means that the Air Ambulance & Mountain Rescue need to be used, then surely this cost should be built in to the parking fees?

Aristotle
    Free Member

There are different debates going on here, but I’d prefer that the general population took part in physical activity, even if there is a relatively small risk of injury.

On second thoughts, I’d actually prefer that they continue to travel, en masse, to the Trafford Centre at weekends.

As you were.

globalti
    Free Member

If they hadn’t taken up cycling, how many of the riders injured at Gisburn would end up having a coronary or getting an obesity-related disease and becoming a long-term burden on the NHS?

Mark

I don’t get why people hate mountain bikers/cyclists so much. it is very strange to hate people so much for no real reason.

They don’t…. Aprox 3 people who posted on that story perhaps do.. That’s not ‘people’.

As for MV.. When he dies, I wonder if the last thought he has will be on how he has achieved absolutely nothing as far as his aim to obliterate mountain biking is concerned. He is now such a cliche that his popping up with his cut and pasted remarks has now become pretty much self defeating in terms of his goals.

alex222
    Free Member

With the greatest of respect mark I think you are being somewhat condescending there.

Jerome
    Free Member

I rode there recently.Two laps of the big course on a horrible day. Loved it, especially the rocky nature of the climbs. Hully Gully seemed tame, it was the bit after that with the rooty drop offs that had me walking as I could not see how deep the puddles were,and I was very much on my own that day…

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“Hully Gully seemed tame”

Depends how you ride it, I imagine the people injuring themselves are carrying a bit of speed down one side, fly up the other and dont realise how quickly their momentum disappaears, at which point your on a near vertical wall and fall 10ft or so in a heap of bike and bones mess 😯

Imagine no momentum at his point, or a little further on… oops

Jerome
    Free Member

Be interesting to know what the specifics of the accidents are,as this may prevent further injuries and possibly lead to adjustments to the circuit to make it safer for all. These are after all bike centres and while I am all for a take care of yourself mentally, we have to be realistic about the people that use these,and indeed the negative press being generated here for the sport as a whole.

martinhutch

Rode Hully Gully this morning, and I can see how it might catch a few unawares at the moment. There’s a couple of sections which have chopped up a bit over the winter, and coupled with some skittery stuff here and there because of the lovely dry weather, being overenthusiastic with the speed and a bit out of shape could get you into all sorts of bother.

Or it might just be that when you blow it there the potential consequences are worse.

Hope the fella who decked it is recovering well.

unklehomered
    Free Member

I know some of the jumps have been taking a few people out…

alex222
    Free Member

This is because almost all trail center jumps are badly built. As in too short for the transition so over jumping is easy. It also means that people who ‘learn’ to jump at trail centers don’t learn proper technique. The ones at gisburn are some of these.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

FunkyDunc,
    Either those trees are growing with a 10 degree tilt or the camera ain’t level!
    Hully Gully is a great novelty feature. I think the new swoopy section will be similarly good too once it’s bedded in a bit more.
    Keep on building ’em!

mrdestructo

I’d rather overjump than underjump!

they think because they jumped over a ramp when they were 24 means they can still do it when they get back on a bike at 40.

Although at the moment an XC hardtail with an 80mm XC race fork isn’t going to ride the same as the hardcore hardtails with freeride class 130mm forks I used to run.

billysugger
    Free Member

Guy that binned it on Saturday did it on the very last left hander before the old stone half fallen down buildings.

It’s not much to look at. Little bermed corner but a little hollow in the middle of it that you’ve got to coast the front wheel over. Not sure exactly what he did but that’s where he did it.

His mate said he’d had the exact same pelvis injuries in the Pyrenees. Been there, busted up, managing the pain, everyone staring. Not good.

littlemisspanda
    Free Member

I loved the guy who said that anyone who rides a bike in a public place should be insured – apart from the insane drivel spouted by MV that gave me a laugh for the afternoon.

unklehomered
    Free Member

My current favourite is the guy who claims to have taken public liability insurance for his entire family, just in case…

Where do you even get that?

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

“I would also like to see the disabled scooters forced into taking out insurance to protect the rest of the public against injury and loss of earnings.”

Ah…fair warms the cockles :mrgreen:

grum
    Free Member

Which jumps? There are only jumps on the Hope line or the DH tracks aren’t there?

unklehomered
    Free Member

Oh he came back… I’m actually beginning to like this guy.

xcgb
    Free Member

accyphil says…
    12:05pm Wed 30 May 12

Vanderman, go back to America you tit.

Top point! 🙂

Blimey I thought STW was an argument hotspot

stumpyjon

There’s a bit of an agenda from a certain individual behind this.

What obviously wasn’t well reported was all the behind the scenes work and thought put into the trails and their ongoing maintenance and upgrades. The FC team put large amounts of time into trial reapirs and the volunteers are planning on under taking repairs and upgrades on existing trails once the current section we are working on has been completed. The whole network is under constant review and as noted above the Hope Line was already being discussed before this artcile came out.

Accidents happen all over the forest, admittedly Hully Gully and the Hope Line seem to be hot spots. It’s a shame so many people ride around the qualifier at the top of Hully Gully because it’s too difficult (same numpties that ride down the mud bank rather than the staircase at the end of Homebaked). One that I saw the aftermath of happened on a fire road, guy took the corner too fast and got gravel rash as a result.

The air ambulance is usually overkill, the fire road network in the forest is pretty good and you’re rarely more than 150m from it. Admittedly mountain rescue are often needed to help stretcher people out as the ambulance crews don’t have the kit.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Gisburn forest in the news…..oops’ is closed to new replies.