Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Gisburn forest
  • Premier Icon mcdonagh2962
    Free Member

Is it worth a 3hour drive each way

Premier Icon tomhoward

I reckon so. Perhaps not at this time of year though, it will be VERY wet. Not boggy, as it’s pretty well armoured, just doesn’t drain very well.

Where are you coming from?

Premier Icon whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

Yep it’s always proper wet when I’ve been, enjoyable place though

Premier Icon crazy-legs

Depends a bit on if you’re going to drive 3hrs, get there and ride then drive straight home again or if you’re staying up in the area for a bit?

Personally, if it’s the first option then no. Although that said, I’d draw the line at any more than about 2hrs each way for a day trip.

A lap will be a couple of hours at most and other than some playing around on the Hope Line, there’s not a lot else there. It will be VERY wet. Not really boggy cos it’s quite rocky and well armoured trail but big gritty puddles!

Premier Icon martinhutch

Where are you coming from?

And what are you driving past to get to it?

Don’t think I’d drive for six hours, spend up to 50 quid on fuel, to ride for two hours in current conditions. Although most of it is armoured, highlights like Hully Gully will be in horrible condition.

Premier Icon mcdonagh2962
    Free Member

Coming from coventry . Didnt realise it was only 2hrs to get round it .might have to make it a weekender.

Premier Icon martinhutch

You can be in the south Lakes in the same sort of timescale. Or pretty much any of the Welsh trail centres.

Premier Icon crazy-legs

Coming from coventry .

Probably take you less time to get to CyB or Llandegla. CyB certainly has far more riding options than Gisburn.

Premier Icon chakaping

Is it worth a 3hour drive each way

Absolutely not.

It’s good for what it is – but six hours of driving would be mad.

I take just over an hour to get there and do two laps (and a bit of play on the enduro bits) to make it worth the journey.

As suggested, do Lakes and visit Gisburn on the way or way back to see what you think.

Premier Icon stevextc
    Free Member

My mum is only 20 mins away so I visit when I’m visiting my mum but there is nothing special worth a 6 hr drive over it’s always nice to see a new place.
    As chapaking say’s though it’s a good stop coming back from the lakes … or even borders

Premier Icon globalti
    Free Member

Or vist Calderdale and explore Heptonstall and Hebden Bridge, the Calderdale valley must have the best concentration of fascinating post-industrial trails in Britain; the variety is simply incredible and far more interesting than just plodding around a man-made circuit like a hamster in a wheel. But you’ll need a map.

Premier Icon benp1

I went there with the family. Wife and 2 kids had a wonder, me and son went round the blue

I’m sure the red is much better, but I can’t imagine any trail centre being worth a 6 hour drive. Maybe thats a personal preference coming out of going for a normal ride in the countryside/hills/mountains. 6 hours more that I’d do for a day trip, there’s more driving than actual activity time. Day trip is more like 4-5 hours, anything more and I’d want to overnight

Premier Icon timbog160

I love Gisburn but I would say it is not worth it in isolation, but would be if you combined it with something else, maybe Gisburn one day, followed by a walk up Ingleborough the next.

As above, it is generally pretty reliable in the wet.

Spent my first 20 or so years in Cov. This was pre MTB but was into climbing and found it something of a desert for decent climbing spots. Would imagine its not much better for MTB!

Premier Icon letitreign
    Free Member

No, I’m not knocking the place, it’s a decent xc route with some fun sections in-between but not for a 3 hour drive there and back home again, hell no, far better destinations for that mileage/drive time.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.