Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Gisburn enduro – anyone doing it?
  • rstephenson
    Free Member

At the age of 40 I’ve signed up for my first race. I’ve been biking a couple of years and the bug’s bitten so I thought I’d give myself a challenge! Starting to get slightly nervous about it..
    Not sure why I’m posting, a bit of moral support perhaps. Some practical advice would be good, what do people take with them and how long do you anticipate being out? I’m thinking food and water as well as tools. I’ve been to gisburn once and I’m guessing it’s not going to be practical to return to the car for anything once you’re out? Also my family would like to come and watch, is it set up well for spectators or is it a bit impractical? (little ones in tow…)
    Anything thoughts about racing, generally or particular to Gisburn very much welcome.

Cheers

chakaping
    Free Member

Is it the one-day format where you go out for a practice lap in the morning, then a race lap in the afternoon?

You just need whatever you’d take for a two or three hour ride normally.

Jordan

58 here and also doing it as a first ever race, actually 59 the day after it! Friends think I’m mad but you know, sometimes you just have to give things a go. I’m starting to feel the nerves though.

Yeah you are supposed to take whatever you need to get round probably about three hours. I think it’s a mash up this time so no practice but you can do each stage more than once and your fastest time is the one that counts. Having practiced most of the course last week I’m pretty sure I’ll only have the energy for one run on each stage LOL!

It’s not great spectator wise I don’t think. With most of the stages deep in the trees but the last two stages have the best opportunity for spactators around the down hill line and hope line.

rstephenson
    Free Member

Nice one Jordan, good to hear hear I’ll not be the only first timer! My plan was to ride a lot and get fit beforehand but between family and house renovations that’s gone out the window!
    I thought it might not be great for watching..
    Yep mashup Chakaping, so as Jordan says no practise but as many runs as you want on each stage. Just 1 day.

rstephenson
    Free Member

Btw I think 2 of the stages aren’t on the normal circuit, did you get to practise on those when you went?

chakaping
    Free Member

If they are the usual Gisburn off-piste stages, they should be running nice next weekend after the recent dry weather.

One is really good, flowy fun and the other is honestly too flat and awkward really – but they are hardly spoilt for choice there.

If it’s a mashup, I’d still plan to do two stints with a lunch break back at the cars.

Think about leaving your climb switch on for the trail centre stages too.

Jordan

Stage map The only one I didn’t ride was stage 4 which I believe is the down hill line. Never riden that one and didn’t fancy doing it when no other folks around with a chance of injury on the drops.

Jordan

chakaping

Think about leaving your climb switch on for the trail centre stages too.

Tell me more about that please.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

I was at gisburn saturday, it seemed everyone was looking for stages :0)
    we definately found some work done (gravel) on a few sections.
    Not me though, If kevin is reading this :0)

the stages published/ guessed at, are mainly short and a bit techy.

s1 – weaving in and out of trees, slalom style is tough at full speed.
    s2 big hilltop rock, berms, save some energy for the slight uphill sprint to get onto the red line , easily the longest track. strava “pmba 2019 long way down”,
    s3 hully gully
    s4 downhill line, trail to left of all the drop offs looks fresh, and then little boggy/ gravel rooty section.
    s5 hope line, was a little too dry for flat corners, so will be glad of some rain this week

remember to enjoy, and smile for the camera

chakaping
    Free Member

Tell me more about that please.

More compression makes your bike pedal better, but the suspension less sensitive.

You don’t need the suspension very sensitive for some of the stages at Gisburn IIRC.

rstephenson
    Free Member

Thanks for the info. I don’t think I did the downhill line when I went before, not quite sure how I missed that. Pretty sure I did the Hope line though. Anyway, I’m looking forward to it, if you see someone on a green Orange say hello 🙂

jaylittle
    Free Member

Did it a few years ago, nice friendly event. Quite like the 1 day format too.

lbizzle123
    Free Member

I went up a couple of weeks ago and bumped into Kev the event organiser. They were planning on making the DH trail slightly easier which should be better for the less experienced riders. The trails are riding well, the work they have done on some of the other tails makes them flow better too. If your not not overly fit I’d consider doing 1-5 then see how you feel after. I know one of the lads I’m riding with Will only manage 1 of each. I’ll probably try and re do any I mess up. I’ll be taking a full bag with everything I need rather than wasting energy getting back to the car park. But I presume there will be plenty splitting the day into 2 with a break back at the cafe. I defiantly won’t be riding with my lockout switched on on any of the stages, I struggle to understand how that would help

Jordan

@rstephenson I’ll keep an eye out for the green Orange. If you see an old bloke mincing down the stages on a HB130 in an “all the gear, no idea” stylee that’ll be me 🙂

igm

I’m chaperoning my 11 & 15 year olds on the Saturday as that was all that was left when we entered.

The 15 year old is considerably better than me.

rstephenson
    Free Member

Sounds like a good way to roll, Jordan 🙂 I’ll keep an eye out too.
    Tickets did sell out fast I think, I had a hunch they would so I set an alarm! It seems it’s at the softer end of the racing spectrum so a bit more accessible to the average punter (I hope).

chrisyork

I did my first race a few years ago doing the Boltby Bash and honestly it’s fantastic!

No need to be nervous just take sustainance you’ll need, I think we did 6 stages and at no point did I run out of anything but I did take a backpack so had plenty of room.

Main thing is be there in good time to attend to any pre-race tweaks and so you can be well organised for it, I was racing with my brother who hadn’t done any training so needed lots of rests (I did try to say training helps) so We ended up being last on track and getting caught by the sweeper on the last run…. The last few sections were so blown out it was just an off the brakes and hang on situation but the whole event was so good especially when you see the photos afterwards and in some cases didn’t even know a snapper was there!

14-D5-CFBE-4787-46-E8-9-D19-3-F0-E73978985

4-F3-B3067-8-C28-48-F5-8-B7-C-BE5300-A1-CEFA

Jordan

@chrisyork I’m in for Boltby too. Pretty sure I’ll be needing lots of rests.

chrisyork

Brilliant Jordan, yes those hills are steep but If you do lots of hills before it and have a good level of fitness then it’ll be great. Not sure I’ll be able to do this year but it was bone dry and fantastic fun!

dmw536
    Free Member

If anyone is interested in a ticket for the Sunday race my girlfriends decided she doesnt want to race. Drop me a DM if you’re keen.

Jordan

Howndid everyone get on? I was every bit as slow as I predicted on the first three stages but having an absolute ball, great fun! Then I made a bollox of the first drop on stage 4. Currently in James Cook hospital Middlesbrough with multiple fractured ribs and some internal injuries and high on morphine. What a way to make my Enduro debut! Loved every minute of it though. Would I do it again?…….. 🙂

kimbers

Ouch heal up!

rstephenson
    Free Member

Blimey Jordan, that’s good going! Hope you heal up soon. Unfortunately my missus came down with a fever on Saturday and was too ill to look after the kids on Sunday so I had to miss out. Absolutely gutted.
    Now wondering whether to go for the Llangollen event in May but I’m a bit worried I’ll be out of my depth on that one, looks pretty steep. Anyone done it before?

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

ouch heel up jordan, after feeling a bit crappy mid week, i was happier than expected, top third finish (just) which is my usual aim.

did the stages in reverse order both morning and afternoon, very quiet, bored marshalls after 2pm.

messed up on my runs on stage 1, took a wrong turn twice :0(
    there seemed to be a marshal blocking the caution sign first time so just went right onto a slow peddly bit. second run my mate said, how did i find it, said it was a real dull ending.. he said you went on chicken run..

had a third run at the end but tired legs by then (45km 1200m), brushed a tree, heard a marshall shout ‘well saved’ and got down the caution section easily.
    lifted me a couple of places, so worth doing.

no crashes and enjoyed my second run of the downhill line drop offs.
    looking forward to tweedlove valjuhla and boltby now

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.