• This topic has 10 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by TomB.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Gisburn blue Vs whinlatter blue
  • lakesrider
    Free Member

How hilly is the gisburn blue route, is it easier or harder than the whinlatter blue? Just wondering which one to take my kids to!

nicknameless
    Free Member

Gisburn is less hilly / strenuous.

lakesrider
    Free Member

Thanks! Gisburn it is then 🙂

chestrockwell

Yeah, agree with the above.

martinhutch

Counter-argument: The biggest fire road climb on the Whinlatter Blue can be left off, to make a shorter circuit. The shorter loop is signposted.

If they’re really tiny, you can just loop the first couple of descents down to the bottom fire road a couple of times and bail when they’ve had enough.

The loop itself is in far better nick in terms of puddles etc than Gisburn. Views are better, plus there are some other activities/walking trails which might be more exciting.

Parking is more expensive, though!

cddsystems

Gisburn is wrecked now, too many puddles of unknown depth.
    The blue is straight forward, and good for kids.
    Ours went round the blue the last time I went when I done the red with a mate.

fd3chris
    Free Member

How bad is Gisburn at the moment then as I was hoping to have my first ride there this week ?

stwhannah

Took my 10 year old on Tuesday round the bottom red loop of the 8 trail. He said ‘is there anything fun here?’. I’m rather inclined to agree. The puddles are deep – rideable on an adult bike, but they’re of the slow you down variety rather than a splash delightedly through. If you enjoy the climb (where the red leaves the blue after the road section on the bottom of the 8) then you’re either a masochist or on an e-bike. It would make a fun descent – as a climb it’s just a washed out pile of rocks and roots. The swoopy section down to Cocklet Hill carpark has been resurfaced and is fun. I rather wished we’d just lapped that. The bottom of the Hope line was also rather spoiled by large puddles between the tabletops. IMO it’s basically rubbish for kids – too much of a long loop to commit to rather than short cut options and fun stuff. Can’t say I rate it much for adults either. Am I grumpy? Yes.

Gribs

The climb was great when first built, interesting enough to distract from going up hill but still ridable. It’s been ruined by the sheer amount of traffic and noticeable power bumps (similar to braking bumps) caused by ebikes.

gastromonkey
    Free Member

We went to Gisburn last week for the first time in a couple of years. I had forgotten how much water it holds. Some of the sections are trashed and not fun to ride.

As others have said Whinlatter would be the best option. Loads of short cut options and fun sections on the blue to repeat. It doesn’t hold water in the same way as Gisburn.

TomB

The first half climb and last descent of the Whinlatter south red are also eminently suitable for most kids- mine finds the climb easier than some of the blue climbs.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Gisburn blue Vs whinlatter blue’ is closed to new replies.