Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 608 total)
  • Giro d’Italia Thread 2018 – Contains Spoilers
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well Froome needs to find some form out there somewhere or he might be better off heading somewhere nice after the next rest day!!

scaredypants

that was some final kilometre, for a 5% hill

bikebouy
    Free Member

I wanted the break to stay away, but when Carapaz span off the front it looked like might even pull a wheelie he powered off so quickly..

Glad Sky didn’t last long on the front, they tried thier old tactics of the rolling roadblock but they were blown to bits in the end. Good to see Froomie in trouble every now and again, didn’t really see Aru but he seemed happy enough at the finish.

Long old stage that.

hugo
    Free Member

Tomorrow looks like a cracker!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yeah, that’s “bumpy”

🤪🤯

scaredypants

when Carapaz span off the front it looked like might even pull a wheelie he powered off so quickly..

Yeah, very impressive.  Surprised that they got back to within 7 seconds; thought he’d be maybe 20 up

Fantombiker

Do you think Froome is deliberately not going for wins /jersey to avoid the media? That said he doesn’t look at all comfortable. Great that Yates is still there but 16s ahead of dumoulin looks very fragile. On that subject commentators said dumoulin. Had only raced 12 days prior to tour? Very strange to then come to a Giro and be a contender?

scaredypants

Do you think Froome is deliberately not going for wins /jersey to avoid the media?

Nah, he rode like shit today (they kept replaying bits of footage of him wobbling & banging into folk as well as his fall) and I thought he looked rough on the line.  May still come good but I think tomorrow will be a big day for him.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

He certainly looks rough but he’s a tough cookie. If he can hang in there then don’t write him off yet. As said, tomorrow is another day.

stevious

Nothing will stop me wanting Esteban Chavez to win this bike race.

legend
    Free Member

This ^

IdleJon

Another Chavez supporter here, but I’d be equally happy if Dumoulin won again. (As long as it doesn’t turn into another Sky boreathon!)

anagallis_arvensis

Froome always looks rough. Stages so far havent suited him, he needs multiple climbs. Having said that if he was on form he’d be doing better. It was a heavy fall he had before the tt. I wouldnt rule him out yet.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Bloody hell Yatsy 💪💪💪💪💪💪💪💪💪💪💪💪💪☄️

Froomidge lost 1’06 🤪

Klunk
    Free Member

2.30 back, tough choice ahead risk his chances in the tdf trying to drag it back or wave the white flag and save something for the tour

hugo
    Free Member

Awesome, Yates.

Can’t help thinking Froome has come in a bit undercooked on purpose with the TdF in mind and will get stronger throughout the race.  He’ll need to get going soon though otherwise it’s pointless – that didn’t look good.

Klunk
    Free Member

Quintana, Landa and Valverde must be enjoying this (though I think Roglic is a good outside bet for the tour)

Klunk
    Free Member

Can’t help thinking Froome has come in a bit undercooked on purpose with the TdF in mind and will get stronger throughout the race.

though he’s had more race days so far this season than Tom (Tom did manage a showing in the spring classics which probably helps with getting into the cut and thrust of road racing quite well and definitely looks lacking in Froome)

hugo
    Free Member

Perhaps he’s just getting old then!

tpbiker
    Free Member

Is Simon Yates the one who has a drug ban? Or is that his brother ?

Klunk
    Free Member

thiinking about it, it’s a tough position for Froome now he 1.50 ish behind the WC TTer so will have to attack him in the mountains to gain time but he’ll be up against a Chaves Yates Pinot Pozzovivo Carapaz tag team.

ransos
    Free Member

Is Simon Yates the one who has a drug ban? Or is that his brother ?

First hit on Google: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/36564327

Klunk
    Free Member

I wonder if some of the problems for froome is he can’t handle the cold very well.

Spin
    Free Member

I wonder if some of the problems for froome is he can’t handle the cold very well.

He’s just not hit form, no other excuse.

Klunk
    Free Member

could be a combination of cold induced asthma and staying off the puffer, just in case like.

bikebouy
    Free Member

In general, when you talk to them you can see they really want to win. I don’t think they will switch off but, for sure, I this is not great news. They will keep fighting, they have strong morale – and that’s what it is like in this sport. But we are not so often in this situation.

Nice to see a statement from Nic Portal (Sky DS).. the opening “in general” says it all really.

Still think Sky are pulling the funding soon, £20 says it’s after the TdF.

weeksy

Well well well, that’s it for Froome if you ask me in the Giro.

However, Yates is looking damn good along with having Chavez as his team mate. Very cool performance from him today out there.

ferrals
    Free Member

I don’t really understand why Froome hasn’t come in at peak form, I thought previously he said his main aim this year was to win the giro to win all three grand tours.

Fantombiker

Don’t remember seeing Froome have consecutive bad days in a tour. I still wouldn’t rule him out. Yates could easily have a bad day and lose the whole thing. It’s early days, lots of tough days to come!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

There are some tough days to come but the top 10 is still packed so he needs 3 or 4 guys to have bad days

cloudnine
    Free Member

Whats up with Froomes taped up knee?

convert

It’s pretty scary that Mitchelton Scott have a 2nd very similar variant warming up ready to lead the TdF team. In a way it would be good to have them riding together but sure how it would work unless took turns to ride for each other. They deserve to become a household name as a proper British pair of hard hitting tough brothers a bit like the Brownlees in triathlon.

weeksy

It’s pretty scary that Mitchelton Scott have a 2nd very similar variant warming up ready to lead the TdF team. In a way it would be good to have them riding together but sure how it would work unless took turns to ride for each other. They deserve to become a household name as a proper British pair of hard hitting tough brothers a bit like the Brownlees in triathlon

Which one of them is generally the better ?

If you also throw Chaves in there for discussion, then you’ve got a very strong trio there. Their Domestiques are doing a cracking job at putting them in the right places too.

Was interesting to see y’day that when Froome was struggling, he still had cover from Sky, in the previous days he’s been last man standing, but yesterday he had backup but still didn’t quite have it at the end.

Bernal to the TDF phone !

legend
    Free Member

Which one of them is generally the better ?

Faff all in it tbh

Klunk
    Free Member

Klunk
    Free Member

I don’t think I’ve seen Froome blow up quite like that before, seen him struggle on the super steep and Quintana take 1.30 out of him on the alpe but he always had the “wherewithal” to push for the line and mind the seconds but yesterday he was completely gone.

nbt

cloudnine
    Whats up with Froomes taped up knee?

See post 1 of this thread

mikey74
    Free Member

Is there anywhere online you can watch extended highlights? There’s only 3 minute clips on YT.

nbt

Quest show a one hour programme at 7pm. I saw a mention of on demand?

yes – https://www.questtv.co.uk/video/giro-2018

Stage 8 is the last one there though so looks like you may have to wait a few days for the exciting stages

glenh
    Free Member
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 608 total)

The topic ‘Giro d’Italia Thread 2018 – Contains Spoilers’ is closed to new replies.