Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 608 total)
  • Giro d’Italia Thread 2018 – Contains Spoilers
  • teamslug
    Free Member

2:38 according to Guardian live feed. Amazing if he pulls it off.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

As amazing as this ride is I feel myself identifying more with the suffering that Yates is having to go through, in public dragging himself up these slopes with no quick end in sight all the time knowing that its all for nothing.

Christ it’s a cruel sport at times.

BadlyWiredDog

Bear in mind he took around a minute of that lead on the descent from the Finestre.

teamslug
    Free Member

Froome now has 2:43. Is that virtual lead?

meesterbond

Needs 2.49 if Dumoulin comes in second according to Eurosport

BadlyWiredDog

It’s very close – about ten seconds off I think – but you need to factor in the time bonuses for first, second and third, so yes and no and maybe…

teamslug
    Free Member

“Chris Froome is forced to swerve around a crashed race motorcycle while cycling through a dark tunnel. Luckily, the driver of the motorbike appears to be OK. That’s the second close, motorcycle-related shave Froome has had today – on the descent of the Finestre, a motorcycle bearing a cameraman had to brake suddenly to avoid knocking him off his bike.”

infidel
    Free Member

This is making a great Giro even better.

Just an observation for the AAF ‘ban him’ crowd:

1. Its an AAF and the public only know about it as it was a leaked hack.

2. We therefore have no idea who else in the peloton has a current or recent AAF.

3. There is no reliable evidence that Salbutamol is actually anabolic or beneficial in recovery from extreme physical effort.

4. There is a huge amount of evidence to show that too much Salbutamol has significant adverse cardiac effects which would reduce exercise ability (heres just one study  – https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4910012/)

5. In all honesty I am pretty sure that drugs cheating is rife in professional sports – where there is financial incentive there there is incentive to cheat. Djokovic suddenly becoming an immense athlete because a family friend decided he had coeliac disease? Nadals bulk and acne issues? Why exactly was Fuentes’ freezer destroyed after Armstrong? Perhaps because Real Madrid / Barca etc had bags and bags of blood in it? After all the financial rewards in cycling are pathetic compared to football and s(he) who gets around the pitch more and faster can earn more……

just my 2p

uselesshippy
    Free Member

2.56 virtual leader.

cheers_drive

I’m watching an Isreali stream in Hebrew, is there any English audio streams?

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

cyclingfans on twitter is good.

petec
    Free Member
    AlexSimon
    bikebouy
    Free Member

I read Aru climbed off this morning 😩

johndoh
    Free Member

Christ on a bike – I missed the early part of the day and missed the main action! I need to watch the highlights tonight :-O

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Cyclingstream.com is what I’m watching it on. In Engish, but it has crashed a couple of times.

senorj

Holy cow!

cchris2lou

Froome needs mone than 3.04 to be in pink .

mrconners
    Free Member

It really is an impressive feat and shows panache and a willingness to gamble everything. However, i still cant warm to the guy or team Sky. I think its the cold and highly professional sense of detachment I get from them that’s so hard to identify with, and I think that Brailsford is an arrogant tossser of the highest order. But that’s Sky really, love them or hate them they are a very successful team.

3.13 to TDM group

8.15 to Yates

butcher

Wow.

cchris2lou

sorry 2.43 , not 3.04 .

teadrinker
    Free Member

Amazing. Sat here it work and watched the whole thing. Blown away by what his done today. I’m not his biggest fan but credit where credits due. Phenomenal ride.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

That was simply an amazing ride. 80km, on his own out front, and into pink.

k1100t
    Free Member

🤯

oldejeans
    Free Member

utterly magnificent.  so glad I got to watch that

butcher

I need a rest after that.

lovegoinguphills
    Free Member

Amazing ride from Chris, the stuff of legend

cheers_drive

just incredible

birky
    Free Member

Wow, that was brilliant!

40 sec advantage

mooman
    Free Member

Amazing!

TD towed them pretty much to the line – and no bonus points!

AlexSimon

When Carlton says “He has his detractors, but surely all will join in admiration for Chris Froome”, he clearly doesn’t read the same forums I do!

BadlyWiredDog

That was bonkers. I do think you need to bear in mind that there’s no-one else in the field who climbs at Froome’s level when he’s on a good day. No Quintana, Landa, Barguil or Nibali. And Yates seems to have basically peaked too soon. First real, big, sustained climbing day in week three of the tour.

Be interesting to see how it goes tomorrow though. That was one hell of an effort.

theboatman
    Free Member

Be a long ride in for Yates, tough day. Chapeau to Froome, super human effort.

glenh
    Free Member

When Carlton says “He has his detractors, but surely all will join in admiration for Chris Froome”, he clearly doesn’t read the same forums I do!

Haterz will hate, but you’ll never see a bigger performance than that.

martinhutch

That was one hell of an effort.

He’s just been interviewed looking remarkably composed, and saying that he tried to ride within his limits despite pushing hard.

Amazing to watch.

mooman
    Free Member

As big an effort as Froome gave today – Dumoulin probably gave just as much effort chasing; he got very little help off the group he was with.

Yates has done superbly in this Giro – to have even got into the pink jersey is amazing … to have been looking like he could keep hold of it is something else!

butcher

Yates has done superbly in this Giro – to have even got into the pink jersey is amazing … to have been looking like he could keep hold of it is something else!

It looked like he couldn’t lose it 2 days ago. And there was a point it seemed unlikely Froome would get on the podium!

Can’t wait for tomorrow now.

Waderider
    Free Member

I’m so disappointed.

After 30 odd years of watching stage racing I give up. His doctor is magnificent.

glenh
    Free Member

I’m so disappointed.

After 30 odd years of watching stage racing I give up. His doctor is magnificent.

Because no-one else ever produced a crushing performance?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_career_achievements_by_Eddy_Merckx

Waderider
    Free Member

Merckx was a drug user also, but in his era there wasn’t a concerted effort to eliminate it.

Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 608 total)

The topic ‘Giro d’Italia Thread 2018 – Contains Spoilers’ is closed to new replies.