Giro d’Italia Thread 2018 – Contains Spoilers

Home Forum Bike Forum Giro d’Italia Thread 2018 – Contains Spoilers

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 608 total)
  • Giro d’Italia Thread 2018 – Contains Spoilers
  • dirtyrider

well this happened already during TT recon

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

oops.

A man with something else on his mind?

Premier Icon bikebouy
    Subscriber

Are we doing predictions in here or the other threads?

Hard to know when it’s a big event and 4 threads pop up..

I’ll hang on a bit until other post in here…

As for the pic, he shouldn’t be in the Race whilst the investigations ongoing IMO (I think that about all WADA/UCI investigations, not just him)

Premier Icon IdleJon
    Subscriber

well this happened already during TT recon

He couldn’t corner  at the same time as taking 37 puffs on his inhaler…

Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg
    Subscriber

Giro time! #cycling #roadcycling #mentioningnonames

A post shared by Gary Walls (@rocketdoguk) on

Premier Icon edhornby
    Subscriber

it’s not that unusual for a rider to bin it on an unknown TT prologue course, better than in the actual race

I’m no fan per se of froome – but he’s my pick for the Maglia Rosa

Premier Icon SaxonRider
    Subscriber

I really don’t think that the jibes at Froome are entirely fair. I mean, he may well have pushed the limits in terms of his medication, but I have a hard time putting that on the same level of cheating as the old Lance-the-Chemical-Cyborg industrial levels of cheating.

Even if the investigation finds against him, I don’t think it should nullify his other efforts – including this current attempt at the Giro.

mogrim

I really don’t think that the jibes at Froome are entirely fair.

Perfectly fair, he’s racing for a team that made a big deal about how they were clean, all marginal gains due to rider positioning and training techniques – then it turns out they’re as dirty as the rest of them. (Not that I care: I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, I want to see action, couldn’t care less about the drug use).

brakes

I’m looking forward to the racing starting so people will have something to talk about other than Froome, trotting out the same old inhaler jokes and pretending to be experts on doping regulations and process…

First Grand Tour of the year baby!

Premier Icon IdleJon
    Subscriber

I’m looking forward to the racing starting so people will have something to talk about other than…

Keep up, it started about 45 minutes ago. 😁

Premier Icon bikebouy
    Subscriber

Looking down the start list there are quite a few gaps in quite a lot of the teams .. some big names missing, which could mean more opportunities for the smaller squads to take some chances (he says hopefully)

Predictions a bit later..

butcher

I’m looking forward to some good racing too. I think Froome/Dumoulin could be a very close battle and make for a very interesting Giro.

The inhaler jokes are a bit tiresome now. They’ve not changed in 3 months.

Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg
    Subscriber

I really don’t think that the jibes at Froome are entirely fair.

#mentioningnonames

I didn’t mention froome

Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg
    Subscriber

yep, new prescription needed, maybe Brad’s couriering a package over?

Premier Icon IdleJon
    Subscriber

You need to take a deep breath, count to 10 and let it out.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

then it turns out they’re as dirty as the rest of them

That’s not what’s happened at all.

Premier Icon IdleJon
    Subscriber

then it turns out they’re as dirty as the rest of them

That’s not what’s happened at all.

Yes, most teams haven’t admitted prescribing illegal drugs for non-existent medical complaints.

Premier Icon IdleJon
    Subscriber

Anyway, early days yet but I’m finding the coverage rather uninspiring. (I’d normally prefer to watch any sort of TT as highlights because they tend to be a little boring. IMO!) There don’t seem to be many spectators away from the start-finish. Anybody know what the locals are making of this race?

Premier Icon mickyfinn
    Subscriber

Hands up all of the asthmatics on here whose performance is improved by taking loads of Ventolin? I for one know it allows me to perform normally but in no way better than I’m capable of. TBH they should have different rules for in and off season as we all know the abuse is linked to taking massive doses in tablet form off season for weight control.

Anyway, I’m looking forward to the race but not the ensuing bullshit surrounding any lead by an Asthmatic.

leggyblonde

How much Tramadol do you need to take before you fall off riding by yourself in a warm-up on clear roads?

Premier Icon IdleJon
    Subscriber

riding by yourself in a warm-up on clear roads?

Did one of the commentators just suggest that these are narrow roads? 😂

slowpuncheur

‘How much Tramadol do you need to take before you fall off riding by yourself in a warm-up on clear roads?’

You clearly have no clue about Tramadol or how cyclists abuse it. Or it would seem, competitive cycling.

Premier Icon IdleJon
    Subscriber

You clearly have no clue about Tramadol or how cyclists abuse it. Or it would seem, competitive cycling.

I think you may be wrong about that, unless I’m confusing leggyblonde with someone else.

leggyblonde

@slowpuncheur I have seen first hand what it does to racers in races I have been in.

slowpuncheur

Genuine question: Why would someone use it before the start of a major competition they’d been training for for months (and have very few racing days behind them)? Particularly, a technical short time trial. I understand it’s use in TT’s for pain relief but that’s normally more than a 12 minute effort and on the back of several days racing (see Westra’s recent confession of using it at De Panne). Froome’s such a strong TTer anyway that he will probably only lose a few seconds to Dennis or whoever wins and likely put a dint into people like Aru, Pinot and Yates anyway. In fact it would suit Sky for him not to take pink today. I think it’s more likely he’s just f*cked up on a corner and to be fair, he’s probably got a lot on his mind! Suitou crashing in recon as well and is going home with a broken bone in his back.

leggyblonde

I too think he probably just overcooked it with the stress of his situation in all likelihood.  However I have heard user evidence of it working very well in crits and other very intense races (like short TTs), it’s not banned, SKY aren’t members of MPCC and they certainly “push boundaries” when it comes to preparation so it wouldn’t completely surprise me.

slowpuncheur

If so that’s a bit of an eye opener. I can understand the temptation in the one day classics or the back end of stage race but it’s a hell of a gamble on a TT rig at 45kmph if you get the dosage a bit wrong. I thought it was a dig at Froome nonetheless and whilst I’m not a Sky apologist, I think there’ll be a few more ‘local’ riders doing a lot worse than an inhaler on this Giro.

Premier Icon scaredypants
    Subscriber

Why would someone use it before the start of a major competition they’d been training for for months (and have very few racing days behind them)? Particularly, a technical short time trial

Isn’t a technical TT essentially intervals of sprint followed by threshold+ and then very brief 0W recovery.  I’m guessing that’d hurt plenty (not suggesting you’d want it for the morning’s recce though)

Oh, and Pozzovivo !!??

Premier Icon IdleJon
    Subscriber

Is a white kit the wisest choice for Dumoulin, bearing in mind his history? Will he be able to build up the weight of his race bike to the UCI minimum by hiding toilet paper, wet wipes and sanitary gel in the tubes?

Good result – I like Dumoulin.

Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg
    Subscriber

Is a white kit the wisest choice for Dumoulin, bearing in mind his history?

Premier Icon SaxonRider
    Subscriber

Is a white kit the wisest choice for Dumoulin, bearing in mind his history?

🙂

That poor guy! Can you imagine going down in history as the cyclist who stopped under those conditions? No one would ever want to shake your hand again!

Premier Icon edhornby
    Subscriber

“Is a white kit the wisest choice for Dumoulin” he doesn’t get to choose, he’s the world champ so the rules say he has to; but he would choose because the suit will fit him perfectly (and the psychological boost of wearing the bands), there’s a train of thought that says if you’re the Maglia Rosa you are disadvantaged because the supplied suit won’t be as fast because it doesn’t fit as well as your team one

Premier Icon edhornby
    Subscriber

also Sunweb have been doing tests to figure out what gives him a dodgy stomach and he’s cut out lactose and fructose from his diet which apparently has worked

If you want to hear a great story about bike racers and upset stomachs get a copy of Slaying the Badger

Premier Icon IdleJon
    Subscriber

he doesn’t get to choose, he’s the world champ so the rules say blah, blah, blah

Yeah, I know. It was a joke. But please patronise me a little more. Tell me about the other cycling books you’ve read.

Premier Icon bikebouy
    Subscriber

Predictions then:

Winner – Fabio Aru

However I want some real highlights from the following:

Simon Yates – has to win one stage that lad.

Alexandre Giniez & Michel Cherel & Matteo Montagutti – these guys I want in the top 20

Astana look like they’ve brought along a strong middle squad without a leader.

Seb Reichenbach & Thibault Pinot – these guys to feature in a long stage break please

Ellia Viviani – win at least on sprint, possibly two

Robert Gesink & Danny Van Poppel – out in a break and all out for a surprise stage win

Gianluca Brambilla & Jarlinson Pantano – to win a bumpy stage

Kenny Ellisonde – KOM

Can’t see the Mov boys putting up much of a fight

Laurens Ten Dam to dribble like a child and Tom Domoulin to be in the top 3.

My predictions over the last few years have been way off, but I love giving it some thought.

Premier Icon SaxonRider
    Subscriber

Predictions then:
    Winner – Fabio Aru

If this happens, I may give my bikes away in disgust. Aru, to me, is the villain of the peloton.

Premier Icon IdleJon
    Subscriber

My predictions over the last few years have been way off,

But you’ve named half the peloton above! 😄

You’re putting more thought into it than I am. I’ve looked at the route but not investigated the teams in any real depth, so no predictions from me.

Premier Icon scaredypants
    Subscriber

Aru, to me, is the villain of the peloton

He makes my pedaling look like the work of an angel, so he can stay.  Won’t win anyway so it’s fine by me.

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

This far through and no spoilers.  In fact no talking about the TT at all…

Premier Icon IdleJon
    Subscriber

This far through and no spoilers.  In fact no talking about the TT at all…

Well, I suppose I didn’t shout about it but I did give the result away when I said “Good result – I like Dumoulin”. And a few posts above that when I mentioned the crowds, or lack of. But really, there’s not a huge amount to say about a 13 minute TT.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 608 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.