Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 548 total)
  • Giro d’Italia 2023 thread (incl velogames)
  • DrJ

I’ve watched and re-watched the crash and I can’t help thinking that it was largely down to Jumbo Visma sweeping across to the right, and yet it’s Ackerman who got the abuse from Evenepoel and the GCN presenters. Am I missing something?

DrJ

I think she’s the moral victor here cos she didn’t have to attack AVV while she was pissing to make time.

”Hilarious ”

I think there was an element of karma as apparently DV has previous in attacking AVV when she had a mechanical on TdF

DrJ

Aaaand – crossover from the Crap Design thread, but how do women take a pee break during a race? It’s difficult enough when you have an integral tune-shaped appendage.

BruceWee

I’ve watched and re-watched the crash and I can’t help thinking that it was largely down to Jumbo Visma sweeping across to the right, and yet it’s Ackerman who got the abuse from Evenepoel and the GCN presenters. Am I missing something?

I thought so to, but I think they are saying it was Ackermann who caused them to sweep across the road like that after touching wheels.

cheese@4p

It looked like at least one spectator took a very nasty direct hit in the crash, presumably survived without serious injury or we would have heard about it? Those gaps in the hedges should have been barriered at that point in the stage. Giro innit.

Klunk
    Free Member

Gilbert’s analysis, it was all started from a forceful elbow from Groves.

slowoldman

Which is what they are saying on today’s coverage and Grove’s fessed up. He was getting closed into the barrier.

DrJ

Still hard to see even here!

DrJ

Some very dubious bike repair attempts by Sepp Kuss this afternoon.

stevious

AXS battery swap, it seems:

https://escapecollective.cc/what-on-earth-was-sepp-kuss-doing-to-his-rear-derailleur/

He didn’t seem at all flusrered by it, which is impressive.

Good finish by Matthews today – he looked like he was having a lot of fun.

crazy-legs

Preview of today’s stages, early fireworks for the GC anyone?

Giro d’Italia Stage 4 Preview

DrJ

AXS battery swap, it seems:

It’d probably take me about half an hour to do that with the bike on a stand 🙂

Klunk
    Free Member

cracking stage in the tour of Wales.

crazy-legs

Into the final 10km now, looking like a win for the breakaway unless it goes ballistic behind. Potentially the Maglia Rosa going to someone in the breakaway as well.

Klunk
    Free Member

tour de wales looking well grim, can see this being called off.

eeeoooowwwwweeeoooowwwwweeeoooowwwwweeeoooowwwwweeeoooowwwwweeeoooowwwwweeeoooowwwwweeeoooowwwwweeeoooowwwwweeeoooowwwwweeeoooowwwwweeeoooowwwwweeeoooowwwwweeeoooowwwwweeeoooowwwwweeeoooowwwwweeeoooowwwwweeeoooowwwwweeeoooowwwwweeeoooowwwwweeeoooowwwwweeeoooowwwwweeeoooowwwwweeeoooowwwwweeeoooowwwwweeeoooowwwwweeeoooowwwwweeeoooowwwwweeeoooowwwwweeeoooowwwwweeeoooowwwwweeeoooowwwwweeeoooowwwwweeeoooowwwwweeeoooowwwwweeeoooowwwwweeeoooowwwwweeeoooowwwwweeeoooowwwwweeeoooowwwwweeeoooowwwwweeeoooowwwww

DrJ

Can someone explain the logic behind wanting to “give away” the Maglia Rosa? If you think it gives your team an obligation to work hard to “defend” it, you can just pretend that someone else has it, and ride accordingly. Seems to me that a lot of pro cycling lore is absolute BS !!

thecrookofdevon

You have all the hassle at the end of each stage ie interviews and doping controls. Also the Team of the pink jersey will be duty bound to try and control the race thereby saving your team from having to do too much work.

DrJ

You have all the hassle at the end of each stage ie interviews and doping controls.

Fair point.

Also the Team of the pink jersey will be duty bound to try and control the race thereby saving your team from having to do too much work.

Or they could just decide not to bother !

nbt

Or they could just decide not to bother !

Well that’s really what they did. THey controlled the peloton continaing those with a reasonable chance of GC over a 3 week race, and allowed a win from a breakaway continaing riders who they don’t judge to be a threat to the overall. They now expect Leknessund to hold it for a while but eventually fall away. If they’d not bothered at all, then the win could have come from someone from whom they would s maybe struggle to take it back

Rotten weather today, already seen 2 of the riders in the early break go down on a corner. Thankfully both got straight back up, the slippiness mean they just slid. Thibaut Pinot in the break alongside Champion (Cofidis) and Zoccarato (Green Bardiani I think), looke like he’s aiming for the Maglia Azzura

Klunk
    Free Member

remco taken out by a dog

nbt

I’m about 20 minutes behind live coverage so just seen it. well that’s crap. at least he’s back on the bike and being paced back into the pelotno (whic is about to catch Pinot, who has droped out of the break having bagged the first KOM).

The first guy to go down in the dog incident must have slid over 100 metres on the wet road. really crappy.

onewheelgood

Those roads are slippery – couldn’t believe how far that guy slid!

Klunk
    Free Member

bloody horrible descent ! arrrghhhh wheres the road oh **** a hairpin 🙁

that’s one miserable looking peloton 🙂

Klunk
    Free Member

peloton looks like an angry mob all desperate for a warm shower.

Klunk
    Free Member

Remco down like a sack of spuds

Klunk
    Free Member

Cav wiped out

bigdean

For a boring stage lots of incidents even camera bike crashed.
    Cav crosses the line on his arse! Looked like a horrible day.

avdave2

Cav crosses the line on his arse!

5th position, has anyone ever finished higher while sliding across the line on their arse?

anagallis_arvensis

Nightmare stage

mashr

At least 4 mobile phones taken out in that finish . . .

crazy-legs

WTAF was Cav doing in that sprint?!

mashr

crazy-legs

Spun his back wheel so just pulled back in. Unfortunately Dainese (sp?) then pulled out across him and it all fell apart

anagallis_arvensis

Lost the back end on the white line, he was lucky not to go down due to that tbh

crazy-legs

Yeah, I saw a second angle later – the first video I saw it looks like he’s just swerving like a pillock but the other angle shows the wheel going.

He’s not doing great so far, poor lad. 4 stages, 2 crashes. ☹️

I see the DSM rider has been relegated for his part in it.

hofnar
    Free Member

@avdave2

The record for people sliding over the line is most likely this one

stevious

That stage had more crashes than windows vista.

crazy-legs

Giro d’Italia Stage 6 Preview

Preview for today’s stage, a relatively straightforward loop – same town for start and finish. Weather forecast is drier today at least so I can see this being a general recovery day after the chaos of yesterday.

Let a keen break go, have a steady day, then pull it back on the fast run in.

Maybe… 😉

crazy-legs

Edit: posting glitch

crazy-legs

Edit: posting glitch

13thfloormonk

NOT a criticism (obviously) but I still can’t get my head around how fast and how often these guys go down in the wet.

It just shows the difference in a 90kg plodder on 75psi tyres doing 30km/h and these guys doing a bazillion km/h on (presumably) higher psi.

Looking forward to today, we had our honeymoon in Sorrento, might even get my wife interested in the stage, briefly at least 😆

Edit: another bad day for electric gears it seems after Kuss’s heroics, frustrated break away rider kicking the rear mech and bashing his lever. Would love to know if the pro peleton really benefits from them.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 548 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.