Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 548 total)
  • Giro d’Italia 2023 thread (incl velogames)
  • DrJ

I’d have changed my shoes for hiking boots, not my bike 🙂

t3ap0t
    Free Member

Cheeky Roglic bike change in the valley. GCN said 10-44 cassette, and something like a 40-44T single front chainring.

scud
    Free Member

Be more impressed if he’d swapped to an old school 11-25 and beasted them all…

theotherjonv

knowing he was going to change, would it have been advantageous for Ineos to go hard for basically as long as he was changing, it’s not a mechanical so it’s all fair? He’s already given up a distance he then needs to work harder on the rejoin the group, why not maximise that distance to just make it that bit harder?

Klunk
    Free Member

lashing it down now

johndoh
    Free Member

Hailstones now apparently

johndoh
    Free Member

LOL – anyone just see the guy running alongside with the stuffed fox on his arm? It looked like something out of Vic n Bob’s Shooting Stars.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

dd

scud
    Free Member

Come on Gee…. no not that one…

johndoh
    Free Member

Ooooof! Not saying anything as I don’t want to jinx anything!

Klunk
    Free Member

some gutsy riding !!!

johndoh
    Free Member

From both of them at the end.

theotherjonv

surely everyone knows not to interview Dutch riders for fear of the F-bomb

Kryton57

Meanwhile here in Rome, the streets are starting to be taped off ready for Sunday with tapes a signs that won’t stop anybody.

In other news, I wouldn’t like to ride let alone race the current state of the cobbled streets.

moimoifan
    Free Member

What a great stage finish that was. 👏

slowoldman

LOL – anyone just see the guy running alongside with the stuffed fox on his arm? It looked like something out of Vic n Bob’s Shooting Stars.

ALMOST exactly what I thought but I had Big Night Out in mind.

crazy-legs

Interesting options tomorrow. There’s an “optional bike swap zone” at km 9.4 which presumably is to formalise the issue and force anyone who does change to change at the same point in a controlled manner.

Ride the whole lot on a road bike and accept possibly being slower in the initial phase buy saving the time loss of changing?
    TT bike then change – could probably slam the brakes on, change bikes and get going again for a loss of only 10-15″ but potentially being on the quickest bike for each half of the stage?

🤔

theotherjonv

I’d be aiming for cyclocross style but coming in at TT speed and dismounting onto tarmac in road cleats.

What could go wrong!?!

Klunk
    Free Member

I wondered how this stage compared to the Bergen Worlds 2017 course, it twice as long and twice as steep in places ! 😀

top ten that day

DUMOULIN Tom Netherlands 350 250 0:44:41 41.626
    ROGLIČ Primož Slovenia 250 190 0:57 40.760
    FROOME Chris Great Britain 200 140 1:21 40.406
    OLIVEIRA Nelson Portugal 150 110 1:28 40.303
    KIRYIENKA Vasil Belarus 125 100 ,, 40.303
    MOSCON Gianni Italy 100 90 1:29 40.289
    KELDERMAN Wilco Netherlands 85 80 1:34 40.216
    DENNIS Rohan Australia 70 70 1:37 40.173
    MARTIN Tony Germany 60 60 1:39 40.144
    TRATNIK Jan Slovenia 50 50 1:43 40.086

it’s a 1k longer than La Planche des Belles Filles

top ten that day

POGAČAR Tadej UAE Team Emirates 120 100 0:55:55 38.844
    DUMOULIN Tom Team Jumbo-Visma 50 70 1:21 37.928
    PORTE Richie Trek – Segafredo 25 50 ,, 37.928
    VAN AERT Wout Team Jumbo-Visma 15 40 1:31 37.818
    ROGLIČ Primož Team Jumbo-Visma 5 32 1:56 37.545
    CAVAGNA Rémi Deceuninck – Quick Step 26 1:59 37.513
    CARUSO Damiano Bahrain – McLaren 22 2:29 37.192
    DE LA CRUZ David UAE Team Emirates 18 2:40 37.075
    MAS Enric Movistar Team 14 2:45 37.023
    URÁN Rigoberto EF Pro Cycling 10 2:54 36.928

even though he lost the jersey it wasn’t that bad a ride from Primoz it was just something special from the Pog monster.

I think the take from these kinds of tt’s is it’s very easy to get it wrong and drop time.

Klunk
    Free Member

Ride the whole lot on a road bike and accept possibly being slower in the initial phase buy saving the time loss of changing?

would a road bike with clip on tribars be allowed ? that climb is insane for a tt bike surely :/ pretty brutal on a 6.8kg road bike!

crazy-legs

I wondered how this stage compared to the Bergen Worlds 2017 course,

Yeah, we were talking about that cos that had a bike change zone too. I think most riders changed didn’t they?

Klunk
    Free Member

IIRC Tom powered up on his tt bike (he was a man on a mission that day 🙂 )

slowoldman

It will definitely be a bike change and we’ve just seen the one Rog will be using for the climb. I think a helmet change might be a good idea too.

stevious

I’m having a really good time watching this Giro. It’s built so nicely to a crescendo.

I was just thinking if Geraint does win this it could be the most efficient GT win I’ve seen. He’s made one (1) attack in the whole race.

stevious

Oh and I gather the bike change will be compulsory.

https://escapecollective.com/the-final-giro-tt-is-going-to-be-a-weird-one/

Klunk
    Free Member

I wonder if having Rohan Dennis (2 time WC in ITT) going out early is good for Roglic. Though he’s forms pretty far off his insight and experience from riding the parcour may prove valuable.

Klunk
    Free Member

vlad_the_invader

Well, unless they sweep that course, a gravel bike is probably the correct choice! Those drainage ditches looked vicious and the mats didn’t seem to cover the entire width…

theotherjonv

Skillz!!

weeksy

Why oh why pick a finish like that for a GT? It’s like having a DH race that finishes with a lap of a velodrome.

It’s just stupid for the sake of being different.

The race can now be won by luck rather than riding, which is quite frankly, ridiculous

singletrackmind

The race can now be won by the strongest overall rider, not the one with the strongest support riders.

weeksy

Or the one who doesn’t puncture on a rock. It’s possible the bloke in 3rd could be slower than the leading 2, but still win the overall as they flat at a bad time.

Daft if you ask me.

It’s supposed to be the best rider. Sure, throw in a daft hill, no issues for me with that, but at least make it a road.

theotherjonv

Why do we always do this. The XC courses can be ridden on a gravel bike, the winner of the Giro’s going to be the luckiest not the best…..when a bit of basic 4F actually suggests that all the things that are going to happen that makes this such a bad idea, won’t happen.

Giro d’Italia Stage 20 Preview

Then comes the brand new climb of Monte Lussari, although it’s also known as Svete Visarje in Slovenian, the border is close. Obviously the mountain’s been around for a bit now but the route up has been an unpaved trail, the creator of the Strava segment branded it “Lussari MTB Long Climb 2014”. But it’s been paved for the Giro and there’s 5km at 15% and with some very tight hairpins, think the Mur de Huy five times over, and under woodland canopy. Oh, and instead of smooth tarmac, it’s part concrete with rasping drainage groves.

Even if it was gravel, which it isn’t, that’s part of the parcours – to select the tool for the job and if that means less than paper thin tyres then so be it. At 15+% uphill, how fast will they be hitting these rocks, I don’t think snakebites are going to be an issue on bits of gravel at comparative walking pace. If there were any rocks at all – which there aren’t.

Is it a travesty if they put cobbles in to the TdF? Way more punctures there.

Let’s reconvene after the event and see what a travesty it became. If I’m wrong I’ll admit it. But I can’t wait, just off out now and beer and snacks on standby for later.

DrJ

was just thinking if Geraint does win this it could be the most efficient GT win I’ve seen. He’s made one (1) attack in the whole race.

imagine Pogacar riding for 3 weeks and never attacking!

Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

Is there anywhere to watch the stage that isn’t subscription?

convert

It seems a very curious choice for a stage route. I wonder what they are going to do about crowds – looks too tight to get lined with fans.

I feel it’s Roglic’s to loose with a stage like today to finish it off. Or…if there is 1 or 2 seconds between them after today, will tradition go out off the window and fun and games be played out on the final stage trying to make a split in the peleton.

welshfarmer

“Is there anywhere to watch the stage that isn’t subscription?”

Eurosport 1 on the German satellite (Astra 1) if you want to move your dish 10 degrees south 🙂 (I have a motor so it is simple). Mind you the commentary is pretty tedious and constant, I would imagine it would still be annoying even if you didn’t understand it!

stevious

imagine Pogacar riding for 3 weeks minutes and never attacking!

ftfy 😀

Bunnyhop

Andy_Sweet
    Free Member
    Is there anywhere to watch the stage that isn’t subscription?

Where do you live? You’re welcome to come to our house to watch. Or have you a neighbour or friend nearby with SKY/GCN. Maybe a bikeshop near you is showing the race on a big screen.

stevious

Apart from the GC action I’m looking forward to seeing how Derek Gee can conspire to be in the break again today.

Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 548 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.