Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Giro Athlon vs Giro Xen
  • rockthreegozy
    Free Member

No difference in price, 20g weight. Which one is better and why? I assume they will fit like my Havoc too?

PROLINE85
    Free Member

Hi Gordon! Would steer clear of the Athlon big time. It's a rebadged Giro road lid with a peak stuck on it. I just bought one last week and sent it straight back for a Xen. It sits really high at the front on your head (certainly did on my bonce) and sat differently every time I tried it, also the straps are close to your face (unlike the Xen) and it didn't sit right with my Oakley shades.

Now on my third Xen and think their great, they have much more protection at the back of your head, and imho are miles better. Read a terrible review of the Atholon after I'd sent mine back, where the tester had the same fitting issues.

Avoid

robhughes
    Free Member

PROLINE85-could you tell me where you read the review please.
    .rob.

coogan
    Free Member

Xen for me. But then thats what I'm used to and never tried the other one. :mrgreen:

PROLINE85
    Free Member

Rob there you go, review of Athlon:

http://www.bikefix.net/2009/05/bikefix-exclusive-review-giro-athlon.html

Sure lots of people might "get on" with the Athlon, I didn't. The Xen fits me much better, each to their own though…

theflatboy
    Free Member

i've got an athlon, i really like it.

Loved my Xen, but it was bloody hot.

The Fox Flux that replaced it beats it hands down in most respects for me though.

topangarider
    Free Member

Athlon here too. It's comfier than my old havoc, but I was a little dissapointed with the level of 'bling' for the buck – build wise it's the same as a havoc or whatever the new one is called.

What I do like is that without the peak it's essentially a Giro Saros roady helmet – so when I'm on the road bike I take of the peak, fit the blanking plugs and it look as good as any roady specific.

Just depends on your head shape. Where reviews talk about fit, take it with a pinch of salt – he might have a right odd noggin!

Ed-O
    Free Member

Both good helmets. I've got both.

Athlon is an xc helmet, feels lighter and is very well vented.

Xen feels very comfy, you might even say plush. It's warmer as the venting is different. More head protection.

Take your pick depending on the riding you do and the level of venting you want.

allyharp

If you're looking at things in that price range check out the MET Kaos – I think mine is excellent.

swampi
    Free Member

i have both and they are both nice, i find the xen more comfy as it kinda encloses my whole head-well thats how it feels where as the athlon sits on my head, not really sure if that makes sense, its probably just down to the fact that the zen seems to have comfier helmet pads and is longer at the back

coogan
    Free Member

Those Fox helmets look utter guff. What's with the spoiler thingy? Extra downforce?

takisawa2

I found the Xen very hot. Not a problem anymore though, as I drove off with it on the roof & some fecker picked it up. Hope they went bald quickly for not handing it in. 🙂

Now using an old Giro Encinal. Not posh, was cheap but way cooler than the Xen. Fancy a Spesh or Uvex one next.

The fox looks great in the flesh actually. I'd lose the spoiler too but it's more for an mx look than any actual purpose.

Algore
    Free Member

Roadie helmets are ace!
    Ditch the Peak (unless it's raining) and enjoy better line of sight, less neck strain and get a sun tanned face!

More seriously, I have found the Athlon is ace without the Peak. I did find it slightly limited my line of sight (especially when night riding) and don't always buy into the 'peaks look best' view.
    But Xen does look right with Peak on, and it fits nice and snug. Fit and forget helmet, but maybe to warm for XC riding.

billysan
    Free Member

The Athlon is really just a Atmos but with a peak. I have an Atmos for the road and a Xen for offroad. I dont really find the xen too hot, but will always choose it for 2 main reasons.

A: The Xen has much better rear coverage – I had a very lucky escape last year when I took a tumble and hit my head hard on the back wearing an old Atmos.
    B: The Xen also seems to take to helmet mounted lights much better too it seems, both joystick and Lupine mounts fit better require less tightening to keep them there.

Gordymac
    Free Member

The Athlon is really just an Atmos but with a peak.
    No it's not, the Athlon is a Saros but with a peak. Fwiw i had an Athlon recently and couldn't get on with the fit of it, i have since bought an Atmos and it is miles better than the Athlon.

Gordymac

Blower
    Free Member

hex?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The Fox above looks way better in white.

I miss the E2. A real MTB race helmet, not (as mentioned above) a road helmet with a peak.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Giro Athlon vs Giro Xen’ is closed to new replies.