• This topic has 27 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by paulx.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Ginger Nut-ists of the World, Unite and Inform Me
  • SaxonRider

At Haus von Saxon, we tend to buy the low-end Tesco Ginger Nuts, and while they are sufficiently reminiscent of a good ginger nut to stave off rebellion from me, the fact is, they are not nearly as nice as the hot ginger nuts of my childhood – an entire packet of which I could finish off with a pint of milk.

Anyway, I was just given a small packet of Crawfords as part of my hospital tea, and found them surprisingly good: spicy enough to actually taste like ginger, and crunchy enough to call for a cool glass of milk.

Question is: what’s your go-to ginger nut, and what’s your criteria?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Leaves as I thought this was the start of the ginger coup

Onzadog
    Free Member

Dark chocolate and ginger for the win.

funkmasterp

The ginger nut is the turnip of the biscuit realm. I once made the tragic mistake of storing some in the same biscuit barrel with other biscuits. Everything tasted like ginger biscuit 😕

Onzadog
    Free Member

Them’s them.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Mc vits, gotta be.

matt_outandabout

Scotroutes had it.

I persuaded work to buy them in mahooosive catering packs for refreshments on courses. 😎

robbo1234biking

About 3 weeks ago on the A50 junction near the Stoke football stadium a HGV has gone over on its side. The cargo was thousands upon thousands of ginger nuts. They were in the middle of the clear up when I drove past. It had started raining so they were looking soggy! Expect a national shortage soon!

timber

Aldi ones have a good punch, with the occasional mild packet.

epicyclo

funkmasterp

The ginger nut is the turnip of the biscuit realm. I once made the tragic mistake of storing some in the same biscuit barrel with other biscuits. Everything tasted like ginger biscuit

What a serendipitous result.

Do you have to pay extra for that brand of gingernuts? 🙂

Poopscoop

Damn it SR’s finally hit the wall (no pun intended!) of hospital boredom.lol

Forget the ginger nuts.

Any fit nurses on the ward and do the night shift chat loudly all night and also do the least amount of work on the ward? 😉

That’s my experience. I should say I *love” the NHS,I genuinely do. It saved my life but it doesn’t mean I can’t have a gentle dig. Lol

sirromj

What is that turnip nonsense above? Be off with you.

ElShalimo

Lottie Shaw parkin biscuits are what you need.

They’re like giant ginger nuts for the discerning Northern  gentleman/lady.

https://www.lottieshaws.co.uk/product/yorkshire-parkin-biscuit-box/

brakes
    Free Member

ginger nuts used to be my favourite biscuit, these days they give me the shits.

molgrips
    Free Member

I used to insist on McVities but now they disappoint slightly.  Asda’s own seem good, maybe I have become accustomed to them.

We did have some posh ones with chewy bits of ginger in that were spicy.  Can’t remember their name though.  I’m.. I’m not helping very much, am I?

crazy-legs

Asda’s own are pretty good and 22p for a packet. That’s better than the McVities ones which are £1!

However McVities did used to do a dark chocolate ginger nut and the fact that they now don’t is a sure sign that the end of the world is nigh.

I’m a big fan of the simple ginger nut biscuit, however my office desk neighbour thinks they’re really boring.

funkmasterp

I’m a big fan of the simple ginger nut biscuit, however my office desk neighbour thinks they’re really boring.

I could be your neighbour. I love anything ginger other than ginger biscuits. They’re just so boring. Are there any out there that pack a real kick?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Surely it’s fox’s ginger crunch creams? They’re the only biscuits that can compete for my attention against the mighty tunnock’s caramel wafer biscuit.

senorj

I’m rather partial to a Nairn’s ginger oatcake ….with butter. &hot tea!

jimdubleyou

I prefer a stem ginger cookie tbh – more bite & some chewy bits.

IdleJon

Lottie Shaw parkin biscuits are what you need.

They’re like giant ginger nuts for the discerning Northern  gentleman/lady.

But they seem to be £2.95 for about 6 biscuits. The less discerning biscuiteer could get a whole carrier bag full of Lidl own brand ginger nuts for the same price.

cheeezzy24
    Free Member

My go-to bikepacking biscuit,can handle being rattled around in the luggage!

ElShalimo

@IdleJon – they are expensive but they’re also massive. Much biggerer than the Waggon Wheels of your childhood and full of gingery goodness……

I have Saxon Rider down as a sophisticated chap and I’m sure he’d appreciate them (especially if they are part of his hospital care package)

nicko74

<div class=”bbp-reply-author”>dangeourbrain
    <div class=”bbp-author-role”>
    <div class=””>Subscriber</div>
    </div>
    </div>
    <div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

Surely it’s fox’s ginger crunch creams?

</div>

<div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

We have a winner! Ginger nuts (McVitie’s or Tesco’s for me) are good, and excellent for dunking. But get 2 and put buttercream in between them and you have a stone cold classic.

Dark chocolate ginger biscuits are fine, but they’re not really a ginger *nut*, are they? For one, they fail the dunk test!!

</div>

Merak

Behold!

</span>

kelvin

Lidl.

paulx
    Free Member

These … Rose Carrarini’s hot gingernut biscuits

Mrs PaulX has just made a batch …

Makes about 24 biscuits
    unsalted butter 200g, softened, plus extra for greasing
    self-raising flour 440g
    caster sugar 150g
    ground ginger 3 tbsp
    cayenne pepper a pinch (optional)
    bicarbonate of soda 1½ tbsp
    golden syrup 240g (or light corn syrup), warmed
    treacle 40g (or molasses), warmed

Preheat the oven to 160C/gas mark 3. Butter a baking tray or line it with parchment paper. If you are using a food processor, process the butter with the flour, sugar, ground ginger, cayenne if using, and bicarbonate of soda until they are well mixed. Otherwise, cut the butter into small pieces, mix the dry ingredients together and rub the butter into them with your fingers, and bring together to make a dough. Add the golden syrup and treacle. Break off pieces and shape them into 3cm balls.

Place well apart on the prepared tray and bake for about 10 minutes. The biscuits will rise and then fall a little. They must be crisp on the outside and a little chewy on the inside. Cool.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Ginger Nut-ists of the World, Unite and Inform Me’ is closed to new replies.