• This topic has 47 replies, 40 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by mt.
Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Gin is gin, right?
  • I was watching something on the telly recently about boutique gin breweries in That London’s (in) famous East London and was surprised to learn that Gin is in fact flavoured vodka.

Gin is made from grain spirit at 96% alcohol by volume. So its basically pure ethanol. They add some flavours to it by various methods by which time its about 80% by volume. They then add water to make it 40%ish.

I don’t know what Vodka is made of, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it was just grain spirit watered down to 40%.

BillMC

Doesn’t the other stuff you mix with it mask all the subtle “botanicals”?

That’s one of the selling points of Fevertree: it doesn’t

If the share price is anything to go by, they seem to be about right.

mefty
    Free Member

Gin is made from grain spirit

It just needs to be an ethanol made from agricultural sources so potatoes can be used etc. Although I think most gins do use a grain spirit. Obviously potatoes are often used for vodka.

jate
    Free Member

We had a village gin tasting session chez Jate earlier this year (we tried c.16). Conclusion was that Monkey 35 was the nicest with better quality Aldi one a surprisingly close second (the Oliver Cromwell 1599 rather than standard one, although that was pretty good too).
    Personally I am very partial to Martin Miller.

munded

Best I’ve tried in ages, don’t put fruit in til you’ve tasted it.

onlysteel
    Free Member

Tried a good few boutique gins over the last couple of years but keep going back to Botanist for high days and holidays. Otherwise Hendricks. Fever Tree.

Macgyver

Aviation for me. Lovely stuff.

mt
    Free Member

For change for get the slice of lemon and try a slice of cucumber, trust me.

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Gin is gin, right?’ is closed to new replies.