• This topic has 22 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by igm.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Gilettrackworld
  • reggiegasket
    Free Member

I need a new gilet, as my zip went on my current one.

I already have a super thin roadie one but I want a tougher, thicker, windstopper-type one for mtbing and general riding. Any suggestions?

Budget is probably £70, but could go more, as it does get used a lot. No hi-viz.

Anyone used the Endura Primaloft, insulated one?

crazy-legs

DHB do a polartec one which is apparently very good. £100, black or orange.
    https://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-aeron-polartec-alpha-gilet

I’ve just bought one of these:
    https://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/shop/mens-brevet-insulated-gilet/product/BIG06XXDNY

£130 so over your budget but it’s super comfy, I was impressed at how well it worked. They do a brown one as well with a single white stripe which is less hi-vis and, although it looks a bit weird on the website, it’s very smart when worn, a friend has one which is what tempted me to get the blue one.

The Endura Primaloft one is £120 as well by the way.

kilo

Galibier do a quilted one which is nice and a good foul weather one – unfortunately this now only comes in nodder yellow but they have the previous version in their sales section.

t3ap0t
    Free Member

I don’t own one, but Lomo do one for £20. You can have any colour you want as long as it’s black.

dogbone

I have a couple of thin ones for running. However for something a bit meatier;

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Gore-C3-Windstopper-Classic-Gilet_119155.htm?sku=459696&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjwreT8BRDTARIsAJLI0KKh3ZzuZur98fitUI05NhVQH9rfB9uLO7i6OFEbEPtHQ6dxkNZPNs0aAqCmEALw_wcB#

XLX29E6K extra £5 off.

The Gore one is a bit thicker and has a solid back, rather than mesh.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

cheers. That DHB is pretty much the style I’m after. Pockets too, which I need.

I’ve seen the primaloft for £108, so above budget but I could stretch to that, if the insulated thing is worth it.

winston
    Free Member

I have a polartec alpha jacket (sugoi) and that thing is soooo warm for its weight – in fact its almost too warm and a gilet would have been a better bet. Very breathable though. Hmmmmm £100 you say…..

reggiegasket
    Free Member

this looks nice

https://uk.lapassione.cc/products/windproof-gilet-blue

No pockets though… and perhaps a tad ‘roadie’

unclesomebody
    Free Member

I bought a pactimo one and it’s been one of the best purchases I’ve made. It’s windproof and water resistant on the front and breathable material on the back. I’ve found that to be a winning combination and very flexible across a range of cooler temps (0-15C).

I bought mine in an outlet sale and actually bought a 2XL womens version for about £20 (reduced from £95) which fits like a mens M/L. Unfortunately they don’t have any in their sale atm but maybe worth keeping an eye out.

beamers

I like the look of the Galibier one:

I’ve just bought a pair of their winter gloves and they are fantastic.

kevt

Morvelo make excellent gilets

continuity
    Free Member

I have the rapha polartec alpha gilet (the older, pro team one that was a closer cut than the brevet).

Honestly the only issue is when to wear it. It’s so bloody warm. By that I mean that the issue is that it is like 3 steps of warmth in and of itself, so it isn’t a very good ‘on and off’ piece – it is either cold enough to wear the entire time, or way too warm to wear for longer than the first 10 minutes of a ride.

The only time I can think it would be appropriate really is over a Gabba or Softshell at -5-0deg. Or, maybe, on a long slow ride where it’s cold enough at Z1, but you take it off for a single max chat effort then put it back on.

hardtailonly

I’ve the Galibier Iozard one. It’s great value, and nice on and off the bike. It’s a bit sweaty unless pretty cold, or you’re pootling, and I wouldn’t wear it with a backpack.

I tend to use the Aussie Grit thermal gilet which is a fab bit of kit … sadly no longer available, but wish I’d bought 3 or 4 when they were available.

branes

If you do fancy one of the Rapha gilets I’ve been scanning Ebay for gilets too, and came across this seller https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/stuffusell has some ‘archive’ ones. In fact I ended up buying something completely different from there – all looks good, not fake which could be a bit of an issue with Rapha.

tonyg2003

The zip went on one of my favourite Castelli gillet. I could the local dry cleaners – who also do repairs – to put in a new one. £15 I think.

jameso

Anyone used the Endura Primaloft, insulated one?

I have the Endura Flipjack and the FS260 Pro. Flipjack is warm, a useful winter base miles layer. The FS260 Pro is good for cool weather and it’s really effective under a waterproof on long wet rides. Primaloft layers are too warm for high pace riding though.

Alternative to the Flipjack is the Decathlon Forclaz, lacks the hi-viz reversibility but for MTBing it’s good, great vfm. The Galibier looks the best of the bunch for function and VFM though.

igm

Depends how warm you want.

I have a Stolen Goat soft shell one. A few colours available.

https://stolengoat.com/product/stolen-goat-mens-core-black-orkaan-water-resistant-cycling-gilet/

amodicumofgnar

I need a new gilet, as my zip went on my current one.

Putting the repair rather than replace option up. I had the same thing but got a new zip sown in at the local Alpkit shop. The zip was a bit more chunky as I just went for what was in stock.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

good spot igm. How long is the Stolen Goat one igm? It looks quite long on the pics.

Some people like a long gilet but I actually prefer a shorter one, so it stays above my waist line, and in case I wear a waist pack.

Kryton57

Putting the repair rather than replace option up

It’s a good call.  We have a local clothes making shop and they charge £3 for adding a new zip.

chakaping
    Free Member

Thread hijack – On the subject of zipper repair, can anyone point me towards replacement zipper stopper/slider parts for jerseys with tiny zippers.

Got a nice Castelli one that the zip track is still fine but the stopper & slider have disappeared. Can’t find a suitable looking part on eBay.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Bioracer (make stuff for Morvelo and Stolen Goat, amongst lots of race teams) https://shop-bioracer.co.uk/product/speedwear-concept-protect-body/
    If I didn’t already have a Mountain Equipment Switch gilet I’d get that one. The tempest fabric is really good, think roubaix fabric but a bit thicker and with water-shedding yarn incorporated into the weave.

igm

Premier Icon
    reggiegasket

good spot igm. How long is the Stolen Goat one igm? It looks quite long on the pics.

The best way to describe it is that it’s shorter than their jerseys.
    Probably not naturally above the waist unless you’re very long in the body, but not a problem to push above a waist pack.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Gilettrackworld’ is closed to new replies.