Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 592 total)
  • Gigs 2019-2020
  • oomidamon

I saw The Wedding Present in a cave on Saturday night and they were fantastic. I can also brag that I spent the evening in the Devil’s Arse.

donks
    Free Member

Saw the Orb last night at a tiny venue in MK…. Was a bit meh TBH.

British sea power on Friday at the Craufurd (venue in town)

Pigs x7 the following week at the Craufurd

The Cult in Oct at Rock city…. The wife’s insistance.

Northwind

My little brother got inappropriately touched by a polar bear at British Sea Power in Camden last year, be careful!

lovewookie

The Cure at Bellahouston last Friday. It was muddy, rob seemed to like playing. It was a great gig though, very impressive.

next up is Geoff Tate’s operation mindcrime next tuesday at the Oran Mor. supposedly very good too. last time I saw him he was still the frontman of Queensryche, it was 1990 and I was 16.

oomidamon

Victorious Festival at the weekend was great, New Order, the Vaccines, Bloc Party, the Hives, Idlewild, Fun Lovin’ Criminals, and loads more over two sunny days by the seaside.

verses

Ed Sheeran ended his Divide tour with 4 nights in a park in Ipswich (close to where he grew up) this weekend.

I’m not an Ed fan, but my daughter is. Her and her mum went to Friday’s gig, then last night we all went along and sat in the park just outside the arena and free-loaded it (along with around a thousand other people).

Despite not being into his music, it’s hard to deny that what he does with guitar loops is pretty impressive, and listening to one of the worlds biggest solo performers play in a local park was pretty cool. It seems that Stormzy showed up for Sunday’s encore, however my daughter’s (admittedly overly-optimistic) hopes of a Bieber/Eminem/Swift/Stormzy guest slot were dashed last night.

Most amusing moment of the night was hearing The Darkness (support) playing “Get your hands off my woman” unedited to a crowd of mostly pre-teens 😀

Northwind

Off to see Frank Iero’s new band tonight, with Laura Jane Grace’s new band in support. That’s a bit more new band than I can really handle but should be good.

tonto
    Free Member

i’ve ended up with four more flaming lips tickets than I need for Brixton this <i>Saturday</i>

anyone want to make a silly offer, ( less than face value) I am listening

Northwind

Saw Mull Historical Society with Bernard Butler and rather lovely, Bernard Butler’s son. Great show, lacked some of the chaos that usually comes with Mull shows where it’s just Colin and he can make it up as he goes along. Moments of absolute joy in Butler’s guitaring.

simondbarnes

Johnny Marr was properly ace in Manchester this evening 🙂

booji
    Free Member

Dirtbox Disco in Dundee on Saturday

CountZero

Had a surprise notification of an upcoming gig in London next month, which prompted an immediate hit on the debit card; Maria McKee is playing a one-off at the Moth Club in London, a venue I’ve never heard of before. She hasn’t toured for some years, maybe a decade or more, concentrating on filmmaking with her husband.
    Really looking forward to it, she’s a fantastic songwriter, and a great performer.
    Now got three lined up for next year, Smoke Fairies at Rough Trade Bristol in February, Elbow at Hammersmith in April, and Nick Mason’s Saucerfull Of Secrets at Bath Forum in May. Looking forward to that one, they’re playing Pink Floyd stuff from before DSOTM, cue much screaming on ‘Careful With That Axe Eugene’!

jate
    Free Member

So glad I clicked on this thread and spotted the Maria Mckee gig. No idea when she last played in the UK (suspect it was the last time I saw her which has to be well over ten years ago). Ticket purchased immediately so many thanks for the heads up! Quite excited already…..

cb200
    Free Member

Very excited about seeing Ibibio Sound Machine tomorrow night. Also, Comet is Coming next month. Both superb live acts by all accounts.

WillH

Is disappoint to hear that Metallica have cancelled their NZ gigs, managed to get tickets about six months ago and was right looking forward to it ☹️

Still, off to see Devilskin in a fortnight, that’s always a cracker.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Rodrigo and Gabriella tonight for me.

4th time – might not need to bother again, but it’s always good 🙂

coynie09
    Free Member

Saw Volbeat Tuesday night Manchester

verses

It’s “Ipswich Sound City” tonight, no big names on, but looking forward to trying out a few new bands – from the Spotify playlist, Snapped Ankles and Swimsuit Competition are top of my list to check out.

lovewookie

Gary Numan last thursday at the O2 academy in Glasgow.

great gig, lots of old stuff, some new and some just written. He seemed to get pretty emotional too as it was the 40th anniverary tour of his first ever tour, which started in glasgow many many years ago.

Next may be psychedelic furs and wendy james, Michael munroe (though I’d be going for Tyla’s band) or Nitzer Ebb.

theotherjonv

from the Spotify playlist, Snapped Ankles

playing in my neck of the woods in a couple of weeks, let me know if any good

lister

Solo Bob Mould electric in London last Sunday. An hour and a half of lush loud music.

Never seen him without a band and was waiting for a while for the bass and drums to hit me in the chest but once I’d got used to them missing it was brill.

He makes it sound like there are 3 guitars playing, he’s awesome.

CountZero

So glad I clicked on this thread and spotted the Maria Mckee gig. No idea when she last played in the UK (suspect it was the last time I saw her which has to be well over ten years ago). Ticket purchased immediately so many thanks for the heads up! Quite excited already….

You’re very welcome! Glad someone else who appreciates her has managed to get a ticket.
    It was completely out of the blue, totally unexpected. As you say it has to be at least ten years ago that she played St Bonaventure’s in Bristol, and I’d almost given up on seeing her play again, as she was concentrating on film-making and doing her own soundtracks.
    Maybe see you there! I’ll be the overexcited 65 year old down the front! 😁

ratherbeintobago

Sebadoh last night in Manchester Academy 2.

Was really good though the band were expressing surprise they weren’t in the Hop & Grape… as were we.

Iron Maiden tribute band on in the Academy 1.

The Happy Mondays are playing in Nov. What could *possibly* go wrong?

anagallis_arvensis

Hanging out with the grebos, the crusties and the goths last night at Indie Daze in that there London place!

null

null

null

anagallis_arvensis

Utah Saints DJ set was awesome as were PWEI but I didnt take pics of them!

gozarch
    Free Member

Hanging out with the grebos, the crusties and the goths last night at Indie Daze in that there London place!

Ooh, I was there, too! That’s me flicking the 🤘🏻 on the front row, centre of your third picture during Therapy? 😀

Northwind

Therapy seemed like the odd one out but I’d have loved to get to that one… Jimbob’s always a bit of pot luck if he’s good or not but when he’s good he’s bloody brilliant, which one turned up?

shadowrider
    Free Member

Kano at Birmingham Town Hall last night. Truly amazing performance complete with brass and a choir.

anagallis_arvensis

Therapy seemed like the odd one out

Swervedriver were the odd ones out, utter shite!

Jimbob’s always a bit of pot luck if he’s good or not but when he’s good he’s bloody brilliant, which one turned up?

He was good, never been a Carter fan but it was good fun.

anagallis_arvensis

Ooh, I was there, too! That’s me flicking the 🤘🏻 on the front row, centre of your third picture during Therapy?

Brilliant it was a great day. Therapy are not a favourite of mine but they do put on a great show, Swervedriver were shit!! We had an under 14 in our group so had seated tickets up stairs but could go downstairs as and when so I pogoed around like a mad bastard for the Poppies but then needed a rest!

stumpy01

Going to see The Wildhearts at The Junction in Cambridge next Thursday – can’t wait!
    They are doing a signing in Fopp beforehand; can’t decide whether to go early & get something signed, or not.

Then in December we’ve got tickets to see Clutch at The Roundhouse in London. Not really listened to much of their music, although quite like what I’ve heard so far – I originally got a ticket so I could catch up with some mates who I don’t see as often as I’d like to.

gozarch
    Free Member

Thought Jim Bob was great. Bit drunk, but good nonetheless! I do love a bit of Carter, though, so I would have been easily sold.

Never seen the Poppies live before but thought they were great and would definitely see them again. They created a really good atmosphere, only for it to be ruined by Swervedriver! I knew nothing about them but my two main observations were that 1) The vocals were quiet and muddy and 2) they all seemed to be having a terrible time!

Would have been a perfect transition from PWEI > Therapy? so god knows who decided on the schedule.

anagallis_arvensis

Would have been a perfect transition from PWEI > Therapy? so god knows who decided on the schedule.

Yeah said that, had Swervedriver been on earlier we could have nipped out for some food to soak up all the beer too.

Poppies were ace, still miss Clint though shame he’s too busy being a famous movie soundtrack writer!!

Carter must have been a London thing, I knew a few songs but they seem to have bypassed my Stourbridge grebo bubble!!

DezB
    Free Member

Unusual gig last night – at the lovely Attenborough Centre in Brighton. Cristian Vogel playing some cool electronic stuff, followed by the wonderful Squid. Both acts are Brighton locals.
    It was unusual because there was 5 or 6 rows of seating… I hardly ever do seated gigs, but I sat at this one, because the seating was at the front and the standing behind the rows of seats. Very odd.
    Last gig there was Apparat and that would’ve benefitted seating far more than this one, but hey-ho it was great. Squid are a magnificent blend of Talking Heads, Wire, Television influences with their own originality thrown in. They played a bit more of an experimental set compared to the last time I saw them and it was really cool. One of those bands I could watch over and over.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Picked up tickets to see Kojey Radical at the wonderful Thekla in March. Only £9.90 too. That’ll go down well with DebZ. Still shilly=shallying over whether to go and see Ghetts in December.

Seeing Local Natives this Thursday at The Fleece and something I’m incredibly excited about, one of my favourite country bands who’ve just released an excellent new album, Midland in Birmingham at the O2 in December.

These guys: 🤠😂
    Midland band

DezB
    Free Member

Only £9.90 too. That’ll go down well with DeZb

A proper gig doubleD 🙂
    Those boys look a bit country.. *one-eyebrow-raised*

If anyone is near Brighton tonight, do yourself a favour and go see The Rhythm Method at Patterns. They are great. I can’t make it, cos I’ve already booked to see Joker again 🙂
    Next weekend I have Helm in London and 2 weeks after that Nick Helm. Spooky.
    Oct 23rd is Working Men’s Club – very much looking forward to that. Check out ‘Teeth’.

lovewookie

Psycadelic Furs were good on tuesday. Wendy James was kinda OK, but a bit lacking stage presence.

Annihilator on Sunday. haven’t listened to them since I was a lad, but they seem to be doing great sets still.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Anyone going to Simple Things in Brizzle next week?

verses

theotherjonv

from the Spotify playlist, Snapped Ankles

playing in my neck of the woods in a couple of weeks, let me know if any good

I very much enjoyed them, and unusually for me spent the entire set bouncing along at the front! My mate thought they were gash though…

stumpy01

Going to see The Wildhearts at The Junction in Cambridge next Thursday

Me too 🙂

mattbee

Levellers at Wedgwood Rooms in Pompey last night. Fantastic gig but my knees are ruined this morning, I fear I’m getting a bit old for bouncing around like a nutter!

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 592 total)

The topic ‘Gigs 2019-2020’ is closed to new replies.