Gigs 2019

• This topic has 290 replies, 105 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by  booji.
Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 291 total)
  • Gigs 2019
  • Premier Icon richardkennerley
    Subscriber

Well Tame Impala at the Empress has just set me back £46!! I feel violated….. But on the other hand I don’t have to factor in a £20 train ticket to Manchester so in that respect, it’s not so bad 🤔

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Hey? Tame Impala aren’t even an old band! Still, this is why prices will keep going up, cos folk pay it…

Saw some unusual stuff last night in London – Chaines: one woman, voice flute, guitar, effects pedals. Surprisingly excellent. Followed by a string quartet! yes.. semi-classical, semi-contemporary, very good… then they were joined onstage by Vessel. Who electronicyfied them and made some visuals. That was great. Stirring stuff.
    Vessel is supporting These New Puritans next Thurs, so it’ll be interesting to see what he does on a much smaller stage.

mikewsmith

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2fzD7k8]IMG_20190416_210439_976[/url] by Mike Smith, on Flickr
    Good the Bad and the Queen, top night uplifting, melancholy, fun and sad all at the same time.

CountZero

Sleeper last weekend were on top form, and worked the set out well, a couple of old tracks, then a new one, couple of old ones, then a new one, kept the balance and interest up through the set.
    Early start, though; 6.30 doors, we got there just after they opened, got places right on the crowd barrier, first band came on fifteen minutes later! They were really good, called Thyla, from Brighton, clear influences from Cocteau Twins, MBV, Blondie. Radio One seem to be pushing them, which is a bit of a surprise, somehow.
    Then Supernaturals came on, then Sleeper.
    Great evening was had by all, it seems.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Just back from These New Puritans. Very good. Atmospheric and lots of booming drums. Enjoyed it more than I expected as found the album a little samey.
    Monday, same venue is one I’m looking forward to muchly.

CountZero

Molly, singer/guitarist with Thyla – blue LED lighting does weird things to photos…

Louise Wenner – Sleeper

Woo. Just managed to pick up a couple of tickets to see Dave tomorrow night at the O2 in Brizzle. His new album, Psychodrama, is awesome.

I really like the Dave album.

Off to see Jawbreaker in Manc on Sunday, and I’m determined to make this one. Beach Slang supporting apparently, which is doubly exciting.

Premier Icon senor j
    Subscriber

A bit of Dead can Dance next week. Hurrah.
    If they play this I will be very happy.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Milo and Elucid on Mon was amazing. Especially when they did the Nostrum Grocers stuff at the end.
    It was bloody empty too, I guess cos of Easter Monday and students all having their eggs. Loved it.
    Here, you ever had that moment when a rapper goes to shake your hand and you miss? just got the end of his fingers… Urgh 😆

Apparat tonight 😀

Premier Icon senor j
    Subscriber

I’m a little bit jealous about the Apparat !

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

I shall report back.
    No photos though, so you’ll just have to take my word for it 😉

Well…
    Dave at the Bristol Academy was **** awesome. I really need to swap to O2 for my phone – or just get a PAYG sim to stick in to get in the O2 priority queue – the queues there are horrendous these days with airport style security checks before going in. I think most of the people in the queue around me were wondering where my son or daughter was. 😂

I took a position on the balcony. The crowd was quite feisty. But it was good fun watching them all properly going for it. Don’t know if anyone else has noticed this at gigs recently. You get one guy/gal clearing a circle in the crowd while filming everyone around. They all get themselves quite psyched up, then all crash into one another closing the circle. It was most entertaining watching it from above. I popped downstairs for the last few tracks to get a bit more of the atmosphere.

Santan Dave is certainly a talented MC for his tender years – he’s only going on 21. Sometimes funny, sometimes satirical, sometimes political, he really has a handle on his craft. No other MCs joining in. Just him and a good background AV show. His mixing desk is off to the side.

It was a doddle to get to the bar to pay £11.50 for a 2 pint pot of shitty lager – most of the crowd didn’t have I.d. I reckon. 😀

Anyway, anyone into a bit of grime or wondering how it all sounds live – I’d definitely recommend catching him live.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Sounds great DD 🙂
    Much..erm cleaner sounds for me last night! Brighton Attenborough Arts Centre in the middle of the Uni campus, was a really lovely venue. Great sized (small) hall and superb sound. (Even Sascha Ring said it was “a bit intimidating” to even talk the sound was so good!) Shame they don’t have more gigs there.
    Karyyn, the support was a pleasant surprise – a bit Bjork, a bit FKA Twigs, creating a big electronic sound and an amazing voice live.
    Apparat, were, just as you’d imagine, full of emotion, live guitars, violin, cello, bass, trombone!, with the electronics thrown in and Sascha’s crystal voice. Even more blown away than I expected. Gig of the year so far.

CountZero

My next gig is now going to be Big Thief at Bristol SXW next month. Really looking forward to it, I saw them at Greenman 2016, and met Adrianne afterwards at Rough Trade’s tent when she did a solo set. Should be a good gig.

Premier Icon northernsoul
    Subscriber

Went to see Half Man Half Biscuit last night at The Boiler Shop, Newcastle – fantastic! Great space, good acoustics, packed but with a friendly atmosphere. They’re quite accomplished these days and played some of the classics from their back catalogue (“All I Want For Christmas is a Dukla Prague Away Kit”, “Joy Division Oven Gloves”, “We Built This Village on a Trad. Arr. Tune”, “Trumpton Riots”) alongside the best from their new album. “Hey Joe” for the encore was a pleasant surprise. All in all a quality evening!

Premier Icon brant
    Subscriber

Mr Ben and the Bens / Family Selection Box last night with “Rob” from this forum wearing a Gnarpoon shirt also in attendance at Delicious Clam in Sheffield.

Teleman at Gorillan in Manchester tonight, just back.

Two bangers.

Next up, Wedding Present in Chester on Friday.

Premier Icon richardkennerley
    Subscriber

Also just back from Teleman at Gorilla. Bloody love them, feel they are criminally underrated.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Oh, my. This sweaty bastard has just returned from seeing Fat White Family. Down the front just out of reach of the mosh pit… they were incredible. What a band. This was the 3rd time I’ve seen them and they’ve just got better. Actually got goosebumps a few times, especially when the guitar and sax were combining.
    Gig of the year! 😊

Premier Icon duncancallum
    Subscriber

Wildhearts Friday. Can’t wait

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Saturday for me, hope the new album’s arrived before. God I love that band, total disasters that they are

Rob Hilton

Desertfest this weekend – YAY!

Fu Manchu headlining Sunday – quite excited!!

Loyle Carner for me tomorrow night, then LANCO 🤠 on Monday. I have purchased a denim shirt specially for the second one. Double denim here I come. 😀

Just on way home from seeing Loyle Carner. Fantastic! Really good set – no backing track. That lad knows what he’s doing.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Totally deafened by teh Wildhearts. Wobbly setlist, brilliant show.

scratch

Stealing sheep were bloody awesome last night in Cardiff

– Both Aphex Twin 2019 Cochella sets are on MixCloud if useful…

Rob Hilton

Today, IncinerationFest. My very favourite fest of the year! \m/ \m/

CountZero

Looking forward to Big Thief in Bristol at the end of the month. Saw them a couple of years ago at Greenman, Met Adrianne at the Rough Trade stand afterwards.

Premier Icon lovewookie
    Subscriber

Fields of the Nephilim at the Barrowlands tonight.
    Quite excited, though I know it’ll be a goth sweatfest, and too much flour will mean we’ll all be walking backwards and forwards through wallpaper paste. 😉

nbt

[strong]lovewookie[/strong] wrote:

Fields of the Nephilim at the Barrowlands tonight

been considering a trip over to Sheffield this Saturday to see them.

Netx up for me is Living Colour in about three weeks

Premier Icon duncancallum
    Subscriber

Wednsday next week Eddie Vedder in Dublin!

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Off to see Gun, Terrorvision, the Wildhearts ad Baby Chaos in… 26 minutes. In the park, not in the barrowlands- always a bit chancy but it’s paying off today!

Now which of the bands will split up midset or suffer a near deadly medical emergency?

Premier Icon lovewookie
    Subscriber

@nbt

The Neph were really really good. The whole sound is spot on.

@northwind, it was a tough choice, gun et al, combichrist or the neph, all playing the same night.

l0key

Awakenings in Amsterdam this Weeke d for me to try and survive 2 hours of DJ rebekah

Jd rebekah last week

johnx2

Saw Mac Demarco at the piece hall halifax last night. Engaging performer, good laugh, and good gig, crowd knew all the words. Surprised people manage to er, mosh and even crowdsurf to a moderate chug along song like ‘together’, but they did…

Premier Icon verses
    Subscriber

Saw The Stroppies at The Smokehouse in Ipswich on Sat night. Couple of cool local bands in support.

Enjoyed it far more than the previous day at Latitude.

Summer Fest season in full swing. We’ve had two trips to All Points East, plus Glastonbury (and tickets for End of the Road and Gruff Rhys on the board and a few more in the e-ticket bank)

APE was as slick (and corporate) as before – sponsorship from American Express, Huawei phones, Firestone Tyres all feeling well out of place. Also the Tinder bar/stand/meeting area – WTF?

No new discoveries there but Chemical Brothers show is better than ever on big outdoor stage. Interesting seeing Primal Scream as a stripped down 4/5 piece now .

Ezra Furman’s mid afternoon set was OK (APE does feel like it sells mostly on the headliner so a lot of the audiences can be a bit lacklustre but we picked up tickets for his ‘secret’ gig at the Shacklewell Arms the next night which just blew the roof off. New record is punkier so all the old material has had a garage band update. He’s simply fantastic live – UK tour in November (so we’ve got tickets for the London gig on that as well).

Glastonbury highlight was, without a doubt, Janelle Monae. Made everyone else look like an amateur,
    Lizzo also a force of nature. Mavis Staples still has it at 80.

Mister P

I’m looking forward to James Holden And The Animal Spirits this weekend at Farm Festival in Bruton, Somerset. I’m also looking forward to a few pints of Wild Beer Co’s finest.

CountZero

Saw Cowboy Junkies last Tuesday, one of only three UK gigs as part of a 30th Anniversary Tour for The Trinity Sessions, and they played The Trinity in Bristol, part of a larger River Town Festival organised by the Colston Hall while it’s undergoing a huge refit.
    Great gig, a bit over two hours, with an interval and no support. Margot in fine voice, and the band as tight as you could want, hardly surprising when the guitarist and drummer are your siblings. Another bloke on lap steel and mandolin, which he managed to make sound like a Les Paul playing lead!
    I rather liked Margot rearranging the flowers on her table, and standing back drinking her tea while the boys were playing instrumental stuff. Got to chat with Margot afterwards as well, she’s lovely! 😍

Next up, Opeth in Bristol, and possibly Jessca Hoop in Bristol as well.

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 291 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.