Gigs 2019

• This topic has 290 replies, 105 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by  booji.
Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 291 total)
  • Gigs 2019
  • Premier Icon sadexpunk
    Subscriber

idles at sheffield on tuesday, cant wait.

been following their facebook page and there seems to be a bit of interest in a new band called Liines. checked them out and saw theyre supporting sleaford mods, and in my hometown tonight! 5 mins later, ticket booked. none of my mates fancy it but im sure ill see a few old faces there.

love it when a plan comes together…..

Premier Icon grtdkad
    Subscriber

We saw The Style Councillors last month, pretty damn good to hear some old tunes live again

For the months ahead:
    – Paul Weller
    – Mavis Staples – legend
    (Stone Foundation supporting)
    – OMD
    – Tim Minchin (does a comedian who plays piano count?)

Mister P

I’m tempted by The Cinematic Orchestra in Birmingham next Friday night. Support by Submotion Orchestra, one of my favourite live bands.

Swindle at Fiddlers, Brizzle for me tonight. Can’t wait.

I’d missed this thread.

Highlights and lowlights so far this year:

The Burning Hell at Ivy House in Peckham. Always great fun, made all the more memorable by our friend pushing to the front of crowd with her Cavapoo and bringing ‘Kings of animal kingdom'(a song about dog euthanasia) to an early close.

Holy Holy at London Palladium. I was really dubious but the songs won through over the bands complete lack of stage presence (theres a reason Tony Visconti is best known as a producer). I’ve seen Bowie tribute acts and they’ve always failed – this worked becuase Glen Gregory doesn’t try to be Bowie but has a strong enough voice to carry the songs. Next best thing to seeing Bowie again.

The Hold Steady. What a band – this is how you play a rock and roll show. Spellbinding – will be there again next year.

Steely Dan – Wembly. Just calling it dull doesn’t do it justice – the venue is a complete atmosphere vacuum with the fun police ensuring everyone was seated at all times. Big enough that from our seats the band were distant stick figures but not big enough to justify video screens and no stagecraft or lightshow to generate any interest. It’s 25 years since I did a gig bigger than Brixton Academy outside a festival and will be again.

Ibibio Sound Machine – 100 Club. Great live act, highly recommended.

Coming up? All Points East Chemical Brothers (plus Primal Scream, Spiritualized, HotChip, Ibibio) which will be a lot of fun. Plus Glastonbury…

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

does a comedian who plays piano count?

To me, yes. But tribute bands don’t. I have an aversion to tribute bands though 😀

Where’s the “gigs on your own” thread?

Mate has just messaged to say he’s prob not going to make it to Swindle – he has a sick dog on an operating table somewhere in SE Bristol that needs fixing. 🙁

Premier Icon lovewookie
    Subscriber

Fields of the Nephilim have just announced UK dates.
    I now have tickets to see them at the Barrowlands on the 27th June.
    I’m quite excited at this.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

HEALTH tomorrow! BOSH!

scud

Saw Idles supported by Crows last night in Norwich, they were bloody brilliant, lead guitarist kept disappearing into the crowd and they kept the audience going from start, real musicianship too, although i am a little hungover at work from drinking on a school night

aP

Going to The Orb tomorrow evening – it’ll be interesting to see how the music stands up after nearly 30 years.
    Currently waiting for the Meltdown line-up to be announced, then Anna Meredith in September.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

MACHINE ****ING HEAD
    MACHINE ****ING HEAD
    MACHINE ****ING HEAD
    MACHINE ****ING HEAD

Premier Icon sadexpunk
    Subscriber

Saw Idles supported by Crows last night in Norwich, they were bloody brilliant, lead guitarist kept disappearing into the crowd and they kept the audience going from start, real musicianship too, although i am a little hungover at work from drinking on a school night

yep, saw them at sheffield couple of nights ago, had the chance for norwich but nobody to go with (yeah i know). excellent live show, and sounds like they keep changing the setlist each night. id love to go to more of the tour but theyre selling out straight away these days…..

Premier Icon northernsoul
    Subscriber

Got tickets to see Half Man Half Biscuit in Newcastle on 26th April – anyone here going?

WillH

Tickets for Metallica arrived yesterday 😊. Only seven months to wait now… 🤔

Premier Icon richardkennerley
    Subscriber

Saw the Zutons at the Albert hall last night. They were good, but the gig must’ve been oversold. I’ve been there a few times before but it was ridiculous last night, there was no space at all.

At idles in the same venue on Wednesday, looking forward to it but I suspect it’ll be the same!

mikewsmith

Jon Hopkins, Little Simz, Slowthai tonight in Liverpool then Craig Charles DJ set, Renegade Brass Band, Elliot Hutchinson (Dig Vinyl) DJ set into the very early hours going to be a good night I think!!

Premier Icon sadexpunk
    Subscriber

heads up for idles fans…. theyre on live on iplayer in a few mins at the 6 music festival….

mikewsmith

Not sure what the idels audience was like but I’d say the 6Music followers are a very very varied bunch!

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Health were awesome. Bloody loud and heavy and powerful. Superb gig.

mikewsmith

Well a fun night out in Liverpool, best way to sip any hassle with the clocks changing is to party on through it 🙂

I do like the mix at some of these events, means you end up seeing people you wouldn’t normally get to see

Slowthai was one of those, not sure the folks trying to do the photo’s and camera work appreciated him doing the set from the middle of the audience but fair play trying to get a bunch of middle ages 6 music fans into it

Little Simz
    Awesome and bold, owned it from the first track and great set

Jon Hopkins – what a wall of sound, with a stunning visual show to go with it, only downside was it was too early in the night to really get stuck into it!!

Best bit of all of these was despite the BBC being on hand to film and broadcast it all they were still filming it on their phones
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/events/e92mzc/play/p074vv8b/p075284r
    The guy on the camera boom was getting just behind them and filming them 🙂 🙂

Then a quick hop over to the Invisible Wind Factory for a very funky evening, the Renegade Brass Band would have been worth it on their own!! Such a happy fun sound putting everyone in a top mood then one hell of a party with Craig Charles, not seen anyone sing along to just about everything they played!!
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BvrmelangjB/

Subscriber

Idles at the Albert Hall in Manchester last night. It was a really, really excellent gig, better than the Ritz last year.

The Albert hall is a pretty nice venue, a good size and the opening tune Colossus really built the atmosphere. From where we were, we could really see the crowd getting amped up.

Plenty of antics like heading out into the crowd, climbing up onto the balcony and getting people up on stage, always entertaining. And, even if you think it’s a bit childish, there’s something satisfying about being in a room with 2000+ people all shouting “mother f***er” in unison.

Teleman at Gorilla next.

For anyone interested in some Australian pub punk, Amyl and the sniffers are playing Deaf institute this weekend, I want to go but can’t make it.

Premier Icon sadexpunk
    Subscriber

Idles at the Albert Hall in Manchester last night. It was a really, really excellent gig, better than the Ritz last year.

well jel…… love them. really wish my missus liked them so i could have the excuse to go see them a lot more. europe road trip anyone?

Premier Icon exile_smoggy
    Subscriber

Think I’ve only seen one so far this year – Sharon van Etten at the Albert Hall Manchester a couple of weeks ago.

Not got much booked yet, managed one every couple of weeks last year:

suede with BC Camplight supporting again at the Albert Hall. The gig there on the Night Thoughts tour was brilliant and saw both free shows they played in September at the Brudenell.

My daughter wants me to take her to see Honey Blood but trying to find somewhere reasonably local that she’s allowed in at 12 is proving difficult.

We’re both going to Bluedot, really looking forward to that.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Monday 22nd! Milo! So chuffed he’s coming back to Brighton – last time he was support and started at 7:30, I got there at 7:50. Was really pissed off and couldn’t enjoy the gig.
    But he’s back and I love im

Followed by Apparat on the Friday. What a week.
    And Fat White Family the week after in a new venue for me: The 1865 in Southampton. Innerestin.

PrinceJohn

Got very excited to see the pixies are touring, and tickets went on sale today.

Then I saw how much they’re charging.

£45!!! I’m out.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Haha! £45! I’ll have to dig out one of my old tickets, see how much they were back when they were good 😆

Haze

Will admit I baulked slightly at £45, but it’ll be a cracking night out if the last one is anything to go by so I coughed up.

It’s not like they only play for 45 minutes or anything…

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

I think this was the 2nd or 3rd time… £7.50 more like it eh

PWEI and Neds tomorrow night at Shepherds Bush.
    Can’t wait.

CountZero

I think this was the 2nd or 3rd time… £7.50 more like it eh

Twenty years ago! I think you’ll find a lot of things have got more expensive since then.
    Except CD’s oddly enough.

Premier Icon seadog101
    Subscriber

Jauz at Newcastle 02 Academy last month, very Drum and Bass stuff. Seadog the Younger dragged me along. Heaps of fun (I was the oldest person there who was not a staff member).

Nothing in the pipeline, waiting to see who’s lining up at festivals I’ll be able to get to.

CountZero

Off to see Piroshka at Rough Trade Bristol tonight! Good to see Miki hasn’t given up making music after Lush called it a day. 😁

CountZero

Piroshka were really bloody good! Very hot and sweaty, though they did turn on the a/c two songs from the end! Six people on a tiny stage, and very up close and personal.
    I have to give special mention to Justin Welch, the drummer, who was in Elastica, and who is a superb drummer! Like human metronome, but with enough going on to be interesting without showing off.
    Next week, Sleeper, as the 90’s revival continues! 😁

Premier Icon Sandwich
    Subscriber

We have tickets to see Tim Minchin later this year. Saw Scott Bradlee last month (so shoot me!). We wanted to see the Shires but not at £300 a ticket as support in a huge arena. I’m sure we will fit in another Frank Turner gig somewhere in Europe (Eulogy in German was good in Vienna last year).

donks

Pigs x7 last night at Esquires in Bedford. I enjoyed it and they didn’t disappoint. Thought the sound system was a bit bright and the drums sounded a bit washed out so i’m looking forward to watching them again in my home town at the Craufurd arms as I reckon they might sound bang on there.
    Support band, Blom were a frightful racket though.

Premier Icon sadexpunk
    Subscriber

currently trying to sort logistics out to go across the channel to see idles again in rouen, bank holiday weekend. can get there easy enough, the ferrys booked up for the return tho.

would also like to see pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs but think theyd probably be a bit ‘samey’ after a few songs. could be wrong tho.

Subscriber

Seems a bit odd, but Tame Impala have just announced they’re playing the Empress ballroom in Blackpool in June.

I mean, I’ve seen a lot of bands there, done pretty big acts, but this seems an unlikely announcement somehow!

Anyway, might as well get tickets as it’s on my doorstep 👍

schrickvr6

You’ll probably get a 2 for 1 with Pond supporting as most of the band are the same, and also playing Glastonbury.

PWEI and Neds tomorrow night at Shepherds Bush.
    Can’t wait.

It were bostin!
    As was Miles Hunt.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 291 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.