Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 592 total)
  • Gigs 2019-2020
  • duncancallum

Thunder in Germany
    Massive waggons about 4 shows Inc support
    Wildhearts
    Bigfoot
    And if I can Henry’s funeral shoe

donks
    Free Member

saw fontaine’s dc last month,
    March the annual return of the dub pistols at the craufurd

then pigs x7 in april at esquires bedford.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Loving this thread. Thanks for the review Northwind. Now very likely I’ll go to that after reading yours and ChrisL’s comments.

Have also booked tickets for LANCO at The Fleece in May. Seeing Loyle Carner 2 days before. So from a bit of spoken word/rap/hip hop to very much keeping it country in one weekend. 😆 Live music is the best.

Northwind

Loyle Carner is awesome, he got his mum up on stage at field day 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I also only found out this weekend that he was born Benjamin Coyle-Larner. I’d always thought Loyle was a strange name.

binners

Saw Loyle Carner with Kate Tempest a few years ago Bravissimo. Absolutely brilliant gig!

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I’d always thought Loyle was a strange name.

Oh….. thanks mate, wanna kick me when I’m on the floor too?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Sorry dude. 😐

schrickvr6
    Free Member

You better be! 😀

Caher

Genuine question: Some of the bands mentioned on here are quite obscure to me how do you hear off their music? Radio 6?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Some of the bands mentioned on here are quite obscure to me

Believe me dude, not just you!

CountZero

6Music play quite a few, then various music magazines like Uncut review them, and have sample CD’s, also many bands get discovered via them being support acts or playing festivals.
    I saw Blondie and Dire Straits as support acts, same with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, and The Joy Formidable, who were supporting Howling Bells.
    I discovered Arcade Fire, Death Cab For Cutie, Metric, Feist, Black Mountain, among many others through 6Music.

DezB
    Free Member

Have you heard of this thing called “The Internet”? There are millions of bands on there! And tons of ways to look up stuff you think is “obscure” and find out about it and what it sounds like. It is pretty amazing.

I know, I know, I’ve resorted to sarcasm, but come on, you can’t expect to have heard of every band in existence these days!

CountZero

Thrilled to discover that Miki Berenyi of Lush has a new band with her partner Moose, called Piroshka, along with former members of Modern English and Elastica. They’ve got an album coming out and they’re playing at Rough Trade Bristol in April! Yowza!

I know, I know, I’ve resorted to sarcasm, but come on, you can’t expect to have heard of every band in existence these days!

Wot he sez! Whenever a thread like this pops up, there’s always a bunch of bands mentioned that I’ve never heard of, and I’m not exactly uninformed, but there’s always someone new to discover.
    Plus, there’s plenty of artist playing music that may not to be to one’s particular taste.

manitou
    Free Member

Seen a few gigs already this year. Off to catch 3 nights of Umphrey’s McGee in Brooklyn next week.

Northwind

Caher

Subscriber

Genuine question: Some of the bands mentioned on here are quite obscure to me how do you hear off their music? Radio 6?

For me it’s mostly a long and erratic chain of Bands Who Have Supported Bands Or Played Festivals When Nobody Else Was On. Like, I saw Frank Turner twice last week and OK, he’s quite a big deal now but I first saw him because his old band Million Dead did a coheadliner with Hundred Reasons who I saw because they supported… well, everyone, but mostly Biffy, and I first saw Biffy because they supported Weezer about 2 decades ago.

Also People Who Were In The Wildhearts. That’s an extremely long list.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Well, The Dead South we’re just a bit awesome this evening. I’d recommend anyone on the cusp of a bit of bluegrass thinking about seeing them to give them a go. Really surprised by the amount of committed fans in a Brizzle this evening.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Ulrich Schnauss in March

I had tickets for the original date but can’t make the rescheduled gig. Was really looking forward to it. Bugger.

plumber
    Free Member

Hanson this Friday in London.
    Ariel Polson
    Romeos Daughter
    Mark Thomas
    Kiss – Cos well its their final tour, maybe
    Count Arthur Strong

And I’m sure lots of others

DezB
    Free Member

Just booked Apparat at the grandly named Attenborough Centre for the Performing Arts in Brighton in April.
    Pretty chuffed as he’s only playing London & Brighton and he’s one of my very top fave artistes 😀

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Not jealous.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Quite tempted by Rival Consoles in Brixton but April’s fun budget has already been spent.

DezB
    Free Member

Rival Consoles

That the only date?

Not jealous
    😀

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

@Caher

6Music – Mark Riley, Gid Coe, Tom Ravenscroft, Guy Garvey, Don Letts – I don’t listen day time much.

Craig Charles is good Sat alternative to crap/mindnumbing TV and as long as he doesn’t talk too much, New Yoik div boy Huey Morgan.

I like Mark Riley on in the background as I actually only like about 15% of what he plays, 50% is interesting scaling down to tolerable and 15% of it is way off the mark for me.

We have rule in our house “3 Songs” – if MR plays 3 shite songs on the trot my OH gets to change the channel.

Tom Robinson Now Playing on the Sunday is good catch up listen too.

I also like Spotify Release Radar and Discover Weekly, plus DezB.

DezB
    Free Member

plus DezB.

What madness is this?? 😀

shadowrider
    Free Member

The Streets a fortnight ago, and Murkage Dave in couple of weeks then nothing planned until Glastonbury

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Have been tempted by the nostalgia thing and there’s a bunch of us going to see New Order in Brizzle during the Summer. Have always managed to miss them over the years, so happy enough to go and see them with a group of friends. Flipping expensive tickets though.

DezB
    Free Member

Flipping expensive tickets though

And. Not. New. Order 😛

Simon

I went to see the Other Not New Order (Peter Hook & The Light) in Leeds on Saturday. Really enjoyed it.

verses

Speaking of “flipping expensive nostalgia”, The Who want £110 a ticket! Will be giving that a miss.

Bought Teleman tickets earlier, so that’ll prob be the next gig for me.

DezB
    Free Member

The Who want £110 a ticket! Will be giving that a miss.

Long as nostalgia idiots will part with their money, these prices will keep rising. I bet all the gigs I’ve listed as going to on here don’t add up to as much as 1 ticket for those old duffers.

freeagent
    Free Member

I’m off to 2 of the 3 nights at Country to Country at the O2 next month, and the songwriters series on the Thursday (3 gigs in 4 days) this is with my 11 year old daughter who is a mad country fan.

Will no doubt go to a few more small country gigs over the year.

I’ll try and get to see The Men They Couldn’t Hang again this year at some point – i think i’ve seen them >20 times now but still love them.

We’re also taking both our Daughters to Little Mix on Halloween. (yes, i know…)

Had a great year in 2018 for live music which will be tough to beat..

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’d love to have gone to see Chris Stapleton – but I’m away most of the week preceding on a boys ski/snowboard trip so there’s no way heading off to London for a gig was going to fly in my house. Enjoy, looks like a great weekend. Will you be doing double denim? 🙂

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

The wedding present in April – leeds/June – Keele
    DMAs April – Birmingham
    The Beths – May – MCR

PrinceJohn

Dammit – just heard about the Loyle Carner gig in Bristol on here & went to hunt for tickets only to see that it’s sold out…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

PrinceJohn, search Loyle Carner Bristol on Facebook – you’ll see the event page. There are people selling tickets there. Can’t comment on the veracity but I’ve bought loads from Fb and never had a problem.

chipps

Had tickets for Snow Patrol and Thurston Moore in Jan – missed them both as I later decided to go on holiday then instead… Ah well.

Seeing Chvrches this week. Got tickets for Stray Cats, Men at Work and Billy Bragg (Nov) so far this year. Might do Big Country in November too. Going to see local band Working Men’s Club in a month too. And The Cure in August in Glasgow too I hope. That’s about it for now, but I’m sure there’ll be more…

iancity1
    Free Member

Last Thursday at The Riverside in Newcastle for The Old Firm Casuals, cracking night, and then Stiff Little Fingers in March

ThePinkster

Not got much planned yet, and less music wise but so far I’m looking forward to The Wall Experience at RNCM in April, Lou Sanders at Crewe Lyceum in May  & Tears for Fears at Delamere in June.

Also hoping to get tickets for Benjamin Zephaniah in November.

gozarch
    Free Member

Well, Henry’s funeral shoe are worth checking out just for the name … and YouTube suggests they sound alright, too 👍🏻

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 592 total)

The topic ‘Gigs 2019-2020’ is closed to new replies.