Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 592 total)
  • Gigs 2019-2020
  • theotherjonv

Well my Weddoes gig was royally fecked up by the SWR strike. Last train home at 2245 meant I had to leave after 45 mins.

Oddly, my train ticket was still full price for the shit service and chance to stand all the way home. There was more room in the mosh pit.

concrete24
    Free Member

Sorry to hear SWR ruined it for you theotherJonv. @choppersquad – hope you enjoyed Underworld – I was there too and we had one of the best nights we’ve had in ages!

choppersquad
    Free Member

Really loved Underworld. They were amazing, and the crowd were definitely up for it.
    The only thing that surprised me, and I don’t know if you noticed it concrete24, was the amount of bloody camera phones being used at the start of every song. Literally you struggled to see past everyone’s arm holding one up, and most people seemed to be filming someone elses’s phone. Surprising considering most of the crowd seemed to be about 40 upwards and its usually only the youngsters who feel the need to film everything. Awesome night though. Have to wait until February now for my next gig.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    concrete24
    Free Member

Yep – the camera phones were like the modern equivalent of lighters almost! Even weirder – I saw a couple of laptops out and I-pads. I think the number of bald heads gave away the number of us reliving the 90’s! I’m off to see AJR on Tuesday for a complete musical contrast!

theotherjonv

My mate reckoned the mosh pit at the gig last night looked like a tray of eggs on a milk float going up an unmade road

concrete24
    Free Member

Great analogy! What did the band look like though? They seemed quite old to me when I saw them in Aylesbury Civic Centre in the late 80’s – they must be ancient now! ‘My Favourite Dress’ and Tame by the Pixies were defining musical moments for me back then.

theotherjonv

well – David Gedge is 60-odd but still puts on a great show. The rest of the band is a bit Trigger’s broom, but a bit like the Fall, if it’s fronted by Gedge and they play WP songs, it’s TWP.

It’s a great show, the band (currently an indie supergroup) with Jon from Sleeper on guitar and Chris from My Life Story on drums, and a cracking young bass player, Melanie Howard are all great musicians too.

And there’s fact of the day, always a surprise for an encore and various other regular aspects to look forward to – eg: Gedge is always on the merch stall beforehand and happy to chat and sign stuff.

Definitely worth seeing, or there’s plenty of Youtube live videos from recent shows.

https://scopitones.co.uk/

concrete24
    Free Member

Thanks for the link – looks like some good stuff there.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Just woke up with a fuzzy head after a night with the heritage orchestra and pete tong.
    The opening track of fat boy slims right here right now played with a huge string section was just spine tingling old skool rush tastic.
    Great show, little bit flat in the middle but ramped up again towards the end.
    Beautiful homage paid to mr flint to close the show which took me by surprise but made for an awesome finish!
    Thanks 2019 the wrightys are done.
    Roll on 2020

Garry_Lager

I’m seeing TWP tomorrow in Manchester, so good to hear they’re still putting on a show.

He is going to play bizarro, right? Be funny if he started unveiling new material.

oldtennisshoes

Late to this thread, but hey ho. I took junior 1 to see New Order in Amsterdam in October. Very good, but amazed by the number of folk filming rather than enjoying the gig.
    Got tickets for The Killers in Falkirk next year. Was hoping for an english gig where Manics are supporting, but no luck 🙁

#dadrock

oomidamon

Continuing the Wedding Present theme I saw them in a converted church in Salisbury last week, they were great as always. It was the Bizarro set with a few others (new and old) thrown in. This year I’ve seen them in a cave and a church. I also went to see their documentary film ‘Something Left Behind’ which is well worth seeing if you’re a fan – it tells the story of the formation of the band and making George Best, concluding with the GB 30th anniversary tour. It has just been released on DVD, too.

theotherjonv

He is going to play bizarro, right? Be funny if he started unveiling new material.

They’ve done loads of new stuff, last album was 2016 and he’s writing new stuff as we speak. It’s evolution rather than revolution, still recognisably TWP but not just masses of guitar thrashing. Example from that album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H-SM8Iin9o

I also went to see their documentary film ‘Something Left Behind’ which is well worth seeing if you’re a fan – it tells the story of the formation of the band and making George Best, concluding with the GB 30th anniversary tour. It has just been released on DVD, too.

I paid for that to be made

(OK, a bit of it through a Kickstarter)

wordnumb
    Free Member

Myst – Crofters Rights in Bristol this evening.

sadexpunk

i feel ive let myself down, i now feel slightly ashamed of last nights gig. whatever possessed me???

few months ago me and a mate decided we’d get tickets for the macc lads at lincoln last night. was our works day on the ale too, and wasnt bothered about going but thought ahh itll be a laugh, just like the old days. oh dear. how did i ever listen to them all those years back??

sexist, misogynistic, racist, childish humour, it really was a panto for the lowest level of intelligence.
    the two support bands, prisoners of war and billyclub, both hardcore thrash punk, sort of thing i loved listening to early 80s, GBH, One way system etc, i dont mind that but oh dear….
    “this next ones about police brutality, its called **** the police” or something like that. big cheer.
    “this ones our last one, we’ve dressed our mates up as singing nuns and its called ‘**** that sh1t’. i want you all to join in and shout it at the end of each line” big cheer goes up and yes, they all shouted it.
    second band…. “this ones called ‘**** you’ and i want you all to shout it when i tell you to…. big cheer and they all shouted it.

macc lads on and hundreds of glasses of beer/p1ss thrown at them throughout the night.

im sorry. it was sh1t. we walked out halfway through and i can safely say ive learnt me lesson :-/

wrightyson
    Free Member

i feel ive let myself down,

Nope absolutely nope!
    Your tastes and priorities have merely shifted and yes maybe/probably for the better.
    However never ever regret what bands you listened to or watched when younger.
    No one has the perfect playlist !

sadexpunk

However never ever regret what bands you listened to or watched when younger.

oh i agree with that, i dont regret anything from back then. i just feel a bit ashamed that in 2019, i put £25 of my cash into their sexist, racist thick b*st*rd pockets. grrrrr……

wordnumb
    Free Member

This ^, ladies and gentlemans, is what we call nominative determinism.
    I very much enjoyed the gig I went to yesterday and the jazz quartet weren’t bad tonight.

wrightyson
    Free Member

@wordnumb
    nominative determinism
    First the builders amongst us do please explain.

Northwind

Anyone else shocked and appalled that the band that did Knock Knock are horrible misogynistic cartoon characters?

Was supposed to be seeing Max and Igor Cavalera do their Sepultura covers band thing tonight but had to cancel 🙁 I will just have to shout UN DOS TRES QUAT BLARAHGRHAGHGAHRG by myself instead.

Next one is Idlewild on Hogmanay, which is sort of nicely circular, because I loved Idlewild back when they, quote NME, sounded “like a flight of stairs falling down a flight of stairs”, lost all interest for a long time when they became Happy REM… (*) then happened to see them support Biffy at Hogmanay, and unexpectedly they rocked out.

(* seriously, if you do the “sad songs changed to major key” thing for Losing My Religion it turns into These Wooden Ideas)

DezB
    Free Member

First the builders amongst us do please explain.

He’s a “sad” “ex-punk” !

Nostalgia-fest touring band in “gives the old bastard crowd what they want” shock 😆

wrightyson
    Free Member

Was supposed to be seeing Max and Igor Cavalera do their Sepultura covers band 

Managed to briefly get on (hang off more like) the tour bus (back in 92 I think) outside rock city in notts. Now that’s nostalgia!

Garry_Lager

Did they do ’20 pints’ sadexpunk? Stone classic that one.

They’re not sexist, racist thick b*st*rds in case you didn’t know – they’re middle class public school fannies pretending to be. A cynical act but they had their moments.

The weddoes were sound on Fri, as expected from reading this tread – band in good form and Gedge effortless with the crowd. Not been to a gig for ages so had to check the pipe and slippers in, disappointed there were no comfy chairs available, but had a great night.

gallowayboy

Steve mason at the trades club tonight, a short but excellent set, delved into early beta band wonders including Dr baker, dogs got a bone and yes, dry the rain. Great post election pre Christmas pick me up!

RustySpanner

beer/p1ss thrown at them throughout the night.

im sorry. it was sh1t. we walked out halfway through and i can safely say ive learnt me lesson :-/

I always thought they were meant to be ironic, but watching them at The Gallery in Manchester back in the day was like going to a BNP sponsored Alf Garnett appreciation night.
    Not many people seemed to get the joke.

Did they still have a stripper and a Guinness drinking competition? I would have won that if someone hadn’t gobbed in my third pint.

RustySpanner

Steve mason at the trades club tonight, a short but excellent set, delved into early beta band wonders including Dr baker, dogs got a bone and yes, dry the rain. Great post election pre Christmas pick me up!

Bollocks, cannot believe I missed that.

anagallis_arvensis

Less than a week till I see The Wonderstuff for the first time since there “last gig” in 1993 or whatever it was, going to play all of Groove Machine and Hup!!!

edhornby

Was offered a last minute ticket to see Buzzcocks in Manchester last night. Good fun and properly noisy, funny watching young lads not being able to stand a bit of moshing but the 40and50something women in there not being put off : )

DezB
    Free Member

Buzzcocks? christ, hopefully Steve Diggle’s actually still in it?

anagallis_arvensis

Wonderstuff last night in Birmingham, **** awesome, played all of 8LGM and Hup. Covered in bruises today!!!

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Clutch on Friday night. Totally rocked.

Despite feeling too old for it I had a jump around in the pit. Too out of shape to last long though!

Got Guns n Roses tickets for next year, golden circle, standing.

Wish I’d seen them 20 odd years ago, but I didn’t. Just ticking off another band that I don’t want to miss altogether.

Missed out on Aerosmith though, unless I want to cough up a premium

CountZero

Chatting to a really long-time friend who’s very much into music, and has one of her two sons working for a promotion company based in London, she’s managed to get onto the guest list for Idols, Squid, and Fleetwood Mac! Turns out Squid’s lead singer is a Chippenham lad, went to school with one of her sons.
    Anyway, she happened to mentioned Cara Dillon, a singer-songwriter who I’m quite partial to was playing Chippenham Neeld Hall! The hall has some musical history, The Who played there, as did Roxy Music, neither of which I got to see, sadly, and many years have passed since, but a fair bit of money has been spent on the place, new lighting and retractable seating, bar, etc, and they’re starting to get some interesting artists there. Delighted to get tickets for Cara, hopefully the bookers will continue to book more and more quality artists and bands.

sadexpunk

just back from fontaines DC at rock city, nottingham. i love the songs, the light-show was good too, but…… they just dont speak. none of them, no inter-action. so they turn up, play the songs and eff off. coupled also with quite a dark setting (couldnt see the drummer at all really, just his drumsticks moving), there were no spotlights on the faces…..

im pleased i went, like i say i love their music, but it wasnt much of a live experience. a lively crowd with plenty of crowdsurfing, im reading all the comments on the facebook group saying it was ‘insane’, ‘it went off’ etc etc and im just thinking hmmmmmm did it? really? 😀

binners

We’re off to see John Bramwell next Saturday at Hebden Bridge Trade Club. He’s the total opposite of that. His gigs go on for hours as he’s partial to having a glass of red between songs and telling you amusing stories. He’s a very funny bloke, as well as a brilliant songwriter, who’s had a hell of a life.

We saw him at Clitheroe Grand and had to retrieve his dog after it emerged from backstage and disappeared into the audience, legging it about everywhere 😃

metalheart
    Free Member

Tickets for Agnes Obel (in april) arrived friday…

Definitely looking forwards to seeing her.

greenskin
    Free Member

Slipknot in a week, long time fan so every gig is a pleasure. Very tempted to get Pearl Jam tickets for London in July. £162!

duncancallum

Ah top trupmed you krackow on the 10 club ticket scheme.

Kendal for massive wagons

Waterloo music bar for gorilla riot and boot yard bandits

theotherjonv

I’ve got mixed feelings on this one

I’m seeing The Smyths tonight. I have been recommended them many times, but this’ll be the first time.

1/ The real Smiths are an all time favourite, and the songs are still fabulous

2/ I never saw them live – although i did have tickets once it was cancelled due to illness and i couldn’t make the rearranged date. They separated soon after.

3/ They aren’t going to reform. Just won’t happen.

4/ The Smyths are all supposed to be decent musicians and to hear the songs live in a concert atmosphere will be good.

BUT

5/ They’re a tribute band, and while I love a good cover version, a tribute band is different

6/ Morrissey is a colossal bell-end nowadays and even this feels a bit ‘guilt by association’

7/ The lead of the Smyths is apparently a good likeness in voice, styling and demeanour – but he’s ginger.

I think the only way to get through it is by going as a tribute version of me ca. 1985. Which means there’ll be at least two tribute colossal bell-ends there.

Anyone else going by any chance (Reading Sub89) – or shall i go and stand on my own, leave on my own, go home, cry, and want to die?

DezB
    Free Member

My complete aversion to tribute bands prevents me from saying anything further. bleugh

Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 592 total)

The topic ‘Gigs 2019-2020’ is closed to new replies.