Viewing 40 posts - 881 through 920 (of 1,581 total)
  • Gigs.
  • Northwind

Was at the Barras on friday for Hundred Reasons, Hell Is For Heroes and my Vitriol. Excellent show… My Vitriol suffered a wee bit with mushy sound and tbh all their songs do kinda sound the same at the best of times, but good set.

Hell Is For Heroes absolutely killed it. I’d have shuffled the setlist a little but other’n that it was close to perfect, the new stuff fitted really well into a first-album heavy set that still sounded fresh and exciting 20 years on. Just wish they’d had an extra 15 minutes or so. It’ll be a crying shame if this ends up being another standalone tour, I’d love to see these guys have a second life… Just an absolute joy.

Hundred Reasons, not quite so much but then I was always just a fan, not a super mad obsessive fanboi like I am with HIFH. Very wonky setlist, no real flow to it, and tbf the new material just isn’t very good. But that’s OK, when you’ve got old material like they have, there was maybe 4 or 5 songs in the set that just absolutely shone. To be brutally honest though they could drop all of the new material from the set, give HIFH that extra 15 minutes, and both sets would benefit from it.

All in all, 2003 was definitely better than 2023 and it’s nice to visit. So I’m doing it again next weekend in London, with a wee side trip to see Dub War, who I never saw first time round. Can’t wait! Oh yeah and a David Ford show up here as an aperatif

johndoh
    Free Member

Elvana (Elvis-fronted Nirvana tribute band) at Leeds o2 Academy for me on Saturday night – great fun and a packed venue.

Nick

Friend of mine wants to go see The Go Team, at Digbeth Mill.

Are they worth seeing? Not my favourite venue tbh.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    w00dster

Was at Definetly Oasis at the weekend in Liverpool (where I live so loads of live music here). Pretty good for a tribute band, packed venue, probably 500ish (maybe).

Got my tickets for Kendall Calling, my first ever festival….can’t wait!! Also got a ticket for The Lottery Winners in April.

Nick

I like this thread, don’t do Singletrack as much as I used to but like to dip in and out from time to time.

Went to see Pavement last year in Manchester, basically because my BIL is friends with them (Bob really), and had been helping them out on their UK leg, not really my band but was really impressed with just how good they sounded and how tight there were for a supposed slack outfit.

Had a chance to meet them afterwards, Malkmus a bit aloof but the rest of the guys were super friendly (as were the Lovely Eggs who were supporting)

Took this photo

ED7904-BD-7147-4186-ABD7-4153-D8-A1-FFCA-1-201-a

docrobster
    Free Member

February has been a bit pants for gigs. Had to cancel one gig cos found out my sister has myeloma and couldn’t face it, then last week we had tickets for mcr Albert hall to see Ezra collective with son, his gf and her parents. Had to bail as wife ended up in hospital with cellulitis. Bugger. It looked ace on his insta.
    Things looking up now though. Sister doing ok, starts chemo this week. Outlook better than I thought. Wife’s leg improving. Next we have self esteem at Sheffield academy. She is so good live and the home town gig thing will make it even better, then later in the same week we have managed to get tickets for the 6 music festival so seeing loyle carner and wulu on the Friday night. With son and his girlfriend.
    and the best news of all… the bug club are on the line up for bearded theory festival at the end of may. Not been to that one before but got tickets as it’s not far and line up looked ok. Now it’s even better. Seeing tbc in Nottingham in April as well. Just love those crazy kids!

greatbeardedone
    Free Member
    dynamiccoins
    Free Member

Going to the Black Midi residency gigs @ Village Underground next week – Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday nights. Not sure the last time I did 3 gigs on the bounce like that.

desperatebicycle
    Free Member

Gawd that sounds like a feat of endurance! I didn’t last 20 minutes when I saw Black Midi 😆

docrobster
    Free Member

Yeah I found black midi hard going the one time I saw them. Review said “every musical genre on Spotify in 40 minutes.” Sounds about right. Am planning on watching them again this summer though. 😁

dynamiccoins
    Free Member

Oh I like them alright – each to their own. I like the weird and wonderful – The Cardiacs are an obvious influence and I loved them back in the day. 3 nights on the trot of anything will be tough going for me these days!

Northwind

Nick

Friend of mine wants to go see The Go Team, at Digbeth Mill.

Great show imo, you’ve kind of got to like shouty excitable people mind.

theotherjonv

Just booked for TBC at Jericho Tavern in Oxford for April (can’t believe they’re still playing pubs at £12 a ticket!) and also my dealer has recommended me Personal Trainer at Boileroom in May – on the basis of the support band that are his next top pick. Shtëpi

Nick

Great show imo, you’ve kind of got to like shouty excitable people mind.

Cool, thanks for the recommendation

dynamiccoins
    Free Member

Dub Pistols on 12th March at The Fighting Cocks in Kingston.

Always a good show

gozarch
    Free Member

greatbeardedone

https://ravenlunatics.com/

Hoping to see them in Aberystwyth on Sunday. Can’t believe we actually have a good gig at the students’ union!

Nick

Greenman line up out, looks ok.

DEVO, Horace Andy, GOAT, Spiritualised, The Walkmen, Squid, James Holden, Rozi Plain etc, wife is happy that First Aid Kit are playing (they did sound magnificent back in 2014).

2tyred

Green Man looks ace. All sold out though. 🙁

Comet Is Coming at St Lukes in Glasgow tomorrow night – full family outing to this one! Tyred Jr the younger is pretty musical, I’m keen for him to see a musician like Shabaka Hutchings perform, and how much he puts into it. Can’t wait. Sons of Kemet were amazing last year, hoping for similar here.

Wee reflection on ticket prices yesterday – both kids revealed they’d spunked their remaining Christmas money on tickets to see Snoop Dogg at the Hydro in May (I think) – ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY POUNDS! Each! I’d be expecting him to cook and serve me a meal for that!

Mrs Tyred then produced a wee collection of old gig tickets she’d unearthed while sorting some stuff out at her mum’s the day before – in 1991 for £6.50 you got to see Nirvana on the Bleach tour at the QM (her ticket number was 29 – if people are to be believed, ticket numbers for that gig must have ranged up to about half a million!) but if that was too much to stump up, a few weeks earlier you could have gone to the Barrowland to see My Bloody Valentine supported by Teenage Fanclub for only £6.

I was at the second of those – I think it was the first time TFC had made it through a show without having to have more than one go at starting any songs.

Nick

Plenty of gig tickets for bands that are worth seeing, because they are good rather than just popular, are still available for between £10 and £20, bargin night out considering you even get a support act for that most of the time.

Nick

Green Man looks ace. All sold out though.

Keep the weekend free – I guarantee you will pick up tickets at a couple of quid over face value when the e-tickets are e-mailed out and people who booked 11 months ago find they can’t now go, and they are then resold on https://www.fanticks.com/event/green-man-festival

They didn’t send them out until about 2 weeks before the festival last year so it can seem as though there will be none available until nearly the last minute

desperatebicycle
    Free Member

Nick

Plenty of gig tickets for bands that are worth seeing, because they are good rather than just popular, are still available for between £10 and £20

Too right. I saw more gigs last year than any other year in my life and only 2 were over £20 – they were both the same band 😊 I love small hall gigs, hate big venues, so it’s all good.

w00dster

Yep agreed. Paid £20 for the Lottery Winners in April.
    The smaller hall gigs are available and blooming awesome nights.

(If you don’t know the Lottery Winners, play Start Again, The Meaning of Life or 21 and imagine those in a small hall venue!!)

jezzasnr

Looking forward to Gold Panda at The Cornish Bank, Falmouth on Saturday. Staying over at the venue.
    Just got tickets to see Daoiri Farrell next month.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

@gozarch

Not long back from seeing Raven.
    Very surreal, eventually seeing my heroes at close quarters.
    Raw, yet groovy sound.

I had expected the band to have played topless, though.
    Maybe it wasn’t cold enough for those Geordies🤣🤣🤣

vd

Last minute waiting list ticket for Personal Trainer yesterday evening at tiny venue in Portsmouth. 7 piece band, Stage low enough for people to wander on for a dance, and really committed performance. £10. Venues on the tour are being upgraded due to demand. Bought a CD but I suspect that their forte at the moment may be live. Will definitely be looking out for another gig on the tour. Highly recommended

jodafett

I went to my first Doom Metal gig the other day! Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs at the Liquid Rooms in Edinburgh. £15. Not normally my cup of tea but I thought they were amazing. I’d definitely see them again!

eskay

Saw Gentlemen’s Dub Club and The Skints Friday night, cracking evening!

theotherjonv

Plenty of gig tickets for bands that are worth seeing, because they are good rather than just popular, are still available for between £10 and £20

Absolutely. Support your local independent music venue, take a punt on some £10 or so gigs, with bandcamp and spotify you can easily get a sense of what sort of music it is so it’s barely a risk anyway, and the venue needs heads to keep afloat by buying a drink or two and so on.

https://www.skiddle.com/news/all/Independent-Venue-Week-The-importance-of-supporting-grassroots-music/57104/

Paying multiples of this, into the hundreds to watch some has been rehashing their back catalogue, or seeing ten small bands trying to find their way – no contest. Frank knows.

“I want bands who had to work for their keep

Drove a thousand miles and played a show on no sleep

Sleeping on the floor at a stranger’s place

Hungry just to do it all again the next day!”

(ooh, machine gun snares too!)

Northwind

New tickets- the Almighty reforming for 3 shows so I’m off to Barrowlands, £50 though! Last time they reformed it was the Garage and £15 but apparently you can get 3 times as big and 3 times as expensive just by not doing anything for 15 years… Ah well.

Balanced that out a bit with Empire State Bastard at the Cathouse- Simon Neil from Biffy Clyro’s side project with Dave Lombardo out of Slayer. I’ve heard 15 seconds of the music, it might well be terrible, but it’s a while since I saw Si in a venue that big so it’ll be interesting anyway.

Just back from that London though, seeing Hell Is For Heroes and Hundred Reasons again with a mate who lives down there now. Hell Is For Heroes not quite as perfect, but still awesome. Hundred Reasons a lot better for having had a few more shows under their belt. Good times. Snuck in a wee trip to the London Garage to see Dub War, who I never saw first time round- finally got to rock the **** out to Gorrit after 28 years! Not exactly striking while the iron is hot…

desperatebicycle
    Free Member

Talking of small gigs/new bands – got PVA at the lovely Wedgewood Rooms tomorrow. Saw them last at the Joiners and even that wasn’t sold out. Methinks I’ll have plenty of dancin room at the Wedge 😀 (Portsmouth=apathy)

Nick

got PVA at the lovely Wedgewood Rooms tomorrow

On my list to catch at GM this year, have feeling they played the rising stage a year or two ago and were good.

theotherjonv

PVA at Boileroom tonight. Should i go, sounds like it?

desperatebicycle
    Free Member

Yeah! I bet it’s only about £15 😀

theotherjonv

cheapskate.

£11.50 including a 50p venue restoration fee, plus £1.25 booking fee.

simonstilts

caught the Levellers in Brum on Saturday, but, ok not really a gig, off to watch the Dunstan Bruce film “I get knocked down” tonight, Q&A afterward, a different Monday eve……..

ChrisL

I’m taking my parents to see Mike Oldfield performing Tubular Bells live in Edinburgh tonight. 🙂 I think it’s billed as a 50th anniversary tour.

desperatebicycle
    Free Member

£11.50 including a 50p venue restoration fee, plus £1.25 booking fee

Bargin! 😛

theotherjonv

It’s only a bargain if it’s something you actually want, as Martin Lewis says.

IT’S LIVE MUSIC!! Of course I want it…. I’ll tell you how much of a bargain at around half ten tonight!

StuF

Took my daughter to go and see Panic Shack at the Bodega in Notts. Great little gig and a bargain at £12.

Thoroughly enjoyed it.

IdleJon

caught the Levellers in Brum on Saturday,

I saw Mark Chadwick at the Great British Folk Festival in Butlins in January. I nodded hello to him at the bar at 7, when we started drinking. He wasn’t on his first pint, by the look of him. He came on stage, solo, at about 10, obviously a little merry. He was very entertaining, if not exactly 100% in time or in tune. I spotted a few people walk out when he told us his feelings about the government. 😀

Talking about cheap gigs – for four of us sharing an apartment that weekend cost £70ish each, not including diesel, food or beer. The highlights. for me, were Mark Chadwick, Ferocious Dog, Oysterband, Chris Difford (absolutely excellent!), and there were also sets from Pentangle, Steeleye Span, and plenty of other acts. It’s a pity it was the last one.

Viewing 40 posts - 881 through 920 (of 1,581 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts